Sabres History: One Hit Wonders

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Welcome to Last Word on Hockey’s One Hit Wonder series. Each day, we will take a look at a new team’s three biggest one-hit wonders. These are players that had one great season or playoff run but never did anything like that again. Join us every day for a new team! Today we take a look at the Buffalo Sabres One Hit Wonders.

Buffalo Sabres Top Three One Hit Wonders

Ales Kotalik

Drafted in the sixth round of the 1998 NHL Entry Draft, Ales Kotalik developed into a respectable top-six forward for the Buffalo Sabres. While not among the NHL’s truly elite group, he could be relied upon for 30 to 40 points each year. After being traded from Buffalo, Kotalik spent time with the Edmonton Oilers, New York Rangers, and Calgary Flames.

One Hit Season

Kotalik had a real breakout year in the 2005-06 season. He set career-highs in goals and assists, with 25 and 37 respectively for 62 total points. This was far above his 35 point year in the 2002-03 season where he finished fifth in Calder Trophy voting. Kotalik displayed significant signs of improvement and Buffalo believed he could be a key piece of the team moving forward.

Kotalik lucked out. His career year came when he was due for a new contract. He earned himself a three-year deal worth a total of $7 million. Signed on July 23rd, 2006 Kotalik was set up for several more years of NHL hockey as a member of the Buffalo Sabres.

The rest of the article on Kotalik and two others is here.
https://lastwordonhockey.com/2020/06/23/buffalo-sabres-one-hit-wonders/

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
I want to say that I remember Ken Priestlay looking really sharp for half the season in 89-90 and not doing anything after that.

Adam Creighton had a good season and they shipped him off and he had more success elsewhere.

Ray Sheppard too, but Detroit. I think Dudley hated him.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Another small scale one hit wonder before his play totally cratered: the great Gragnani!

Will never forget when the Sabres blew a 3 goal lead vs Philly and it culminated with him making one of the dumbest d to d passes I've ever seen to give Giroux a free breakaway and the game winner in OT

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
I remember playing NHL Breakaway 98 on N64 as the Sabres all the time. I was unstoppable with Holzinger, Audette, and Satan. I guess I always thought Holzinger was better than he actually was in real life, because I was too young to remember watching him play in real life.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I remember playing NHL Breakaway 98 on N64 as the Sabres all the time. I was unstoppable with Holzinger, Audette, and Satan. I guess I always thought Holzinger was better than he actually was in real life, because I was too young to remember watching him play in real life.

Holzinger was fast and had skills, but he was a classic "all tools, no toolbox" guy. I would've like to have seen him on a lower line at wing.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Holzinger was fast and had skills, but he was a classic "all tools, no toolbox" guy. I would've like to have seen him on a lower line at wing.

He was a Hobey Baker winner and had some pedigree. I agree with you, he could have been a consistent 45-50 point player if he was a top 9 winger.

And as for Kotalik, that's a good pick. He always gets forgotten in that 05-07 core group but when he was on a line with Connolly and Afinogenov in 05-06, that was some of the most exciting hockey I'd seen. He was also an excellent shootout choice when we needed him.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
He was a Hobey Baker winner and had some pedigree. I agree with you, he could have been a consistent 45-50 point player if he was a top 9 winger.

And as for Kotalik, that's a good pick. He always gets forgotten in that 05-07 core group but when he was on a line with Connolly and Afinogenov in 05-06, that was some of the most exciting hockey I'd seen. He was also an excellent shootout choice when we needed him.
Kotalik will never be forgotten.

Connolly and Kotalik

Reactions: buffalowing88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad