Sabres Hire Steve Smith as Assistant Coach

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
In the Sabres tweet they noted he was in charge of Defense/PK. Will that be Steve Smith’s role with the Sabres?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
He just resigned this week from his job with Carolina. Now we know why.

I'm fine with it, especially if he's replacing Hajt on the bench. Hajt seemed to be in over his head last season. I've thought Carolina had one of the best PK systems in the league for a few years now. They're relentless.

Seems like a very solid addition given his experience and some of the success of guys under his tutelage in Carolina.

Replace Carolina with Nashville, and, well, you know....

Reactions: HaNotsri and jc17

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He just resigned yesterday in Carolina. Now we know why.

I'm fine with it, especially if he's replacing Hajt on the bench. Hajt seemed to be in over his head last season.

Replace Carolina with Nashville, and, well, you know....

I would say there is a difference between the arrival and performance of Pesce and Slavin as mid-rounders and the relatively established level of guys like Josi, Ellis, Weber/Subban. Ekholm to Pesce/Slavin might be a comparable between Smith and Housley

And I agree about Hajt, I'm glad they got more experience back there with someone who has had some measure of success at the NHL level guiding their most important new player into the league.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
How much of the credit for low shots against can actually be given to the defense coach?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
How much of the credit for low shots against can actually be given to the defense coach?

I think it was kind of silly for the team to include that in the tweet, but whatever. I just like the Canes' PK system. Very aggressive. They were 4th, 6th, and 6th in Smith's first three years there before falling to 23rd this year - though how much of that was Darling and Ward being dreadful is unknown.

Reactions: Chainshot

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Every coach needs talent. Sabres have Ristolainen, Dahlin, and Guhle that can be as good as any top 3 in Nashville and Carolina.

Fans should be excited about this.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

It's hard to say. Bill Peters ran a system that had the defensemen aggressively pinching and playing very tight gaps in the neutral zone. It led to very strong possession, but also had little room for error when it broke down. That, IMO, was the biggest reason for the shot suppression numbers for Carolina. That said, Smith had to be able to coach his guys in a way to execute the plan and he seemed to do that. Canes also had an excellent PK for a couple years under him.

Last year was a disappointment on the defensive front. The PK wasn't very good and many of the defensemen seemed to really underperform. They weren't as good on ice as you would expect them to be on paper. Having Darling in net was a factor. And it was reported that the team tuned out Peters by the end of the season so it's hard to say what contribution Smith had to that, but it was disappointing none-the-less.

Was honestly surprised that he didn't quit/get fired right away after Peters was gone and Brindy was named head coach. He was brought in under Francis/Peters and to once his "peer" get the head coaching job, I thought he'd be gone. Maybe he was looking and waiting it out until he had something lined up? (speculating).

I think he's a good fit for the Sabres though and you will probably be pretty happy with him.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Hopefully he can show Housley where up is because I've got the sense Housley losses his self direction whenever behind a hockey bench or in a locker room.

"He was head coach for a high school hockey team"

^
The voice of so many pro Housley come to the Sabres and save us HF posters last off season.

I still laugh at the "defense whisperer" nickname.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Hopefully he can show Housley where up is because I've got the sense Housley losses his self direction whenever behind a hockey bench or in a locker room.

"He was head coach for a high school hockey team"

^
The voice of so many pro Housley come to the Sabres and save us HF posters last off season.

I still laugh at the "defense whisperer" nickname.

Um, getting back to Steve Smith, instead of taking any opportunity to bash Housley, I'd probably prefer Smith behind the bench to Hajt, based on results from last season. But the coaches game plan together so at least having his voice in the room and on the ice in practices can only help.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
O'Reilly, is that you?
Winning would cure all ailments in that locker room. O'Reilly told us all the problem when he said something along the lines of losing has crept into the locker room, it's crept into a lot of the players and into him to the point that it's ok to lose.

That's on Housley, hopefully Smith can steer the ship to greener pastures.

Put a winning record on the ice and watch locker room and HF Boards moods mostly vanish.

We went from best PP to worse PP in one season under Housleys regime. If Smith can bring this PP back to that of Bob Woods quality than at least someone can do something right behind the bench

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Winning would cure all ailments in that locker room. O'Reilly told us all the problem when he said something along the lines of losing has crept into the locker room, it's crept into a lot of the players and into him to the point that it's ok to lose.

That's on Housley, hopefully Smith can steer the ship to greener pastures.

Put a winning record on the ice and watch locker room and HF Boards moods mostly vanish.

We went from best PP to worse PP in one season under Housleys regime. If Smith can bring this PP back to that of Bob Woods quality than at least someone can do something right behind the bench

He ran the PK in Carolina.

Does he have a history of running a PP?

On paper, this looks like a good hire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad