Confirmed with Link: Sabres have signed Lawrence Pilut (LD, HV71)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Just win Dahlin and let them play together with this kid with Guhle and Nelson/McCabe being the other pair I suppose behind Risto and Scandella. That assumes no major trades which are another possibility. Im not ready to push thr panic button at D if we can get such an Euro pro to sogn here.
You're getting a tad ahead of yourself..

Nedo801

Jul 13, 2017
Good signing. He looks way more experience then his age on the ice and would as I see it (seen alot of Sabres and SHL this season) he would add to the team directly if he just adapts to small ice.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Some things I’d like to add about the HV71 season to give you some context:

Out of the 6 top 6 defensemen - 4 had long term injuries. Including both defensive studs as well as both RHD. Most were out for the whole season or came back just for a few games.

To replace them they had to bring in complete cannon fodder. Players that weren’t dominating the second division as well as Elliott that was the NA equalient of a soft, lazy euro that scored some points but played with no heart what so ever.

Pilut basically played this season with no support what so ever.

The dominating goalie Söderström? Long term injury. The back up good enough to be a starter in SHL? Long term injury.
All in all the team had 5 goalies in net during a 52 game season.

It was pretty much the same with the forwards, the majority of injuries was from on ice incidents as well.

Did I mention that they lost 13 players after winning the championship last year?

It’s been the weirdest season ever for HV71. As a fan you couldn’t even be mad with the coaches or GM.

Losing more than half the roster in the off season+10 players to long term injuries as well as a bunch of other players with short term/nagging injuries.

What does this say about Pilut? He played really well in a completely messed up environment. I’m concerned that he’s playing now since he had a very serious concussion with memory loss. Players lie all the time to get to play. Hopefully this doesn’t lead to anything but a hit to the head could be devastating...

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
On another note: Pilut knows a lot about expensive champagne. A blue collar boy like Dahlin can probably learn a lot by warching Lawrence adapt to the NHL-lifestyle...

I’ve watched some recent interviews (interviewed him myself several years ago but remember nada).

Some takeaways:
Has tried to use up all his energy every day, sometimes that means some extra sets in the weight room or
other times analyzing his own plays or the teams’.

Thinks he can learn a lot from all players, especially veterans. Topi Jakola was the one who helped him improve his shot and put more weight into it.

I don’t think this is the usual media trained bulls***, he’s a well mannered kid that is very self-reflecting.

Last edited:

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
This is a bit much.
My thoughts exactly. There’s just no way I can respond to all the broken out quotes and bolded text. Who else on here would read it anyway? While attempting to remain apart from this anti- and pro-Housley clash of clans, I’ll simply return to my original point. I don’t like the way Housley handled Antipin this year. If due to wanting/expecting more, he came to that conclusion much too quickly in my view and I hope Pilut doesn’t suffer the same fate regardless of whose fault it is.

Reactions: sabrebuild

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Peeluut

Edit: I have no idea but one can hope. Imagine razor with that!!!!
His dad is from Detroit, Larry Pilut. For some weird reason he spent his whole career dominating the swedish second division. And except for one season he played gor the same small club, Tingsryds AIF.
I’m not american but wouldn’t you pronounce it Pie-lot? As in pilot with a pie?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
My thoughts exactly. There’s just no way I can respond to all the broken out quotes and bolded text. Who else on here would read it anyway?

You could have responded. You just chose not to. It wouldn't be that hard. Maybe a little work. Like the work I did to break down all the things you were throwing at me in your previous post. Things that were incorrect assumptions about my thoughts on this. Instead you just completely dismissed my response clarifying my stance in light of those incorrect assumptions.

While attempting to remain apart from this anti- and pro-Housley clash of clans, I’ll simply return to my original point. I don’t like the way Housley handled Antipin this year. If due to wanting/expecting more, he came to that conclusion much too quickly in my view and I hope Pilut doesn’t suffer the same fate regardless of whose fault it is.

I also hope Pilut doesn't fall into a similar situation regardless of who is at fault. But that's not quite what you were getting at previously. But I'll leave it there for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
His dad is from Detroit, Larry Pilut. For some weird reason he spent his whole career dominating the swedish second division. And except for one season he played gor the same small club, Tingsryds AIF.
I’m not american but wouldn’t you pronounce it Pie-lot? As in pilot with a pie?

Probably, but my wife is a Slav so the i’s are e’s a lot. And I’m juvenile.

Reactions: joshjull

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
My thoughts exactly. There’s just no way I can respond to all the broken out quotes and bolded text. Who else on here would read it anyway? While attempting to remain apart from this anti- and pro-Housley clash of clans, I’ll simply return to my original point. I don’t like the way Housley handled Antipin this year. If due to wanting/expecting more, he came to that conclusion much too quickly in my view and I hope Pilut doesn’t suffer the same fate regardless of whose fault it is.
The good news in that regard is, due to his age at the time of signing his ELC, he will have more than just one year to prove himself and the worry of having an asset slip away due to mismanagement is either delayed or eradicated with improvement in the next season.

If this goes through, I'm very happy. Love dipping into Euro FAs and it seems like he's one of the bigger gets in this year's crop.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Highlights of a 4 assist effort, all in a variety of different fashions. There are also a couple of goal-mouth fails in this mix too.

HV71 - Karlskrona HK

(Also, Johannes Jönsson might be Robin Lehner's twin. He's the orange sieve in net for Karlskrona in these highlights.)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I really wish someone in the Buffalo sports media would ask Phil directly, "Despite all the mistakes that Fedun, Tennyson, and Beaulieu made, do you honestly believe they were better than Viktor Antipin?"

They could phrase it differently, but yeah, why did someone like Beaulieu get to directly contribute to GA and stay in the lineup and Antipin was yanked for similar or lesser ills. It would've possibly been more impactful in the moment than at the end of year.

Reactions: Ethan Edwards

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I really wish someone in the Buffalo sports media would ask Phil directly, "Despite all the mistakes that Fedun, Tennyson, and Beaulieu made, do you honestly believe they were better than Viktor Antipin?"
We've seen this act before. The guys acquired by the new regime are favored over those from the previous one. Beaulieu is Botterill's guy. He traded for him and signed him to an extension. Antipin was signed by Botterill but Murray did all the work to bring him here.

Reactions: Chainshot

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
I would just like to get both on record, so that in the future, you can more easily call them out on favoritism. I understand it's a particular GM's 'guy', but when you hurt your organization by playing favorites, you can remind them that they believe player x is better than player y.

Reactions: Chainshot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->