Confirmed with Link: Sabres have signed Lawrence Pilut (LD, HV71)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
f*** off you silo headed piece of shit. You were given a free, young, top six defensemen on a team that severely lacks defensive depth and you don't find him ice and he walks.... Piss off.

Reactions: Fearnot

member 311261

The article says there's an NHL out clause. Yes, apparently out clauses weren't a thing a year or two ago, but given the Covid situation, this could be an opportunity for the KHL to temporarily get some NHL talent until the NHL ramps up fully.

I think we should maybe reserve judgement until we get the whole story. If we can loan guys out like this, it could end up being a good thing development wise.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
The article says there's an NHL out clause. Yes, apparently out clauses weren't a thing a year or two ago, but given the Covid situation, this could be an opportunity for the KHL to temporarily get some NHL talent until the NHL ramps up fully.

I think we should maybe reserve judgement until we get the whole story. If we can loan guys out like this, it could end up being a good thing development wise.

As far as I can tell, the recent reports about an NHL out-clause stemmed from Buffalo news reporter Lance Lysowski who has since deleted all tweets regarding said out-clause.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010

I have no idea why there are talks about an NHL out-clause in the KHL SPC. And who is a source of that misleading information

The KHL SPC does not include an NHL out-clause, and it has never included. It works the same way as the NHL SPC, which does not include a KHL out-clause.

Both leagues honour the players´ contracts in the opposite league.

The KHL SPC can be terminated early if

1.both sides mutually agree to terminate a deal, or
2.a player wants to terminate a deal, he is obligated to pay the 1/3 or 2/3 (depends on age, in Pilut case it is 2/3) of the remaining (unpaid) contract value to a club. If a club wants to terminate a deal early, this club is obligated to pay 25% or 50% or 100% (depend on the time of a year) to the remaining contract value to a player.

The KHL clubs do not sign in principle any players, especially non-Russians, under a condition when the player would leave this KHL club mid-season. And, if Pilut wanted to leave Traktor by October or December, he would not sign a TWO-YEAR deal. He would sign just a one-year deal.

Of course, he can leave early if he does not adapt to Russia & KHL, but it is another story .... it would mean he is not good enough for KHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: barriers

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Even if Pilut decides to use the out-clause to come play for the team, it's another example of Botterill having some type of leverage (in the case of Pilut, playing time) and squandering it away and giving the leverage back to a player/another GM.

The guy just makes poor decision after poor decision and gets in his own way and the result is not improving the team.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
I have no idea why there are talks about an NHL out-clause in the KHL SPC. And who is a source of that misleading information

The KHL SPC does not include an NHL out-clause, and it has never included. It works the same way as the NHL SPC, which does not include a KHL out-clause.

2.a player wants to terminate a deal, he is obligated to pay the 1/3 or 2/3 (depends on age, in Pilut case it is 2/3) of the remaining (unpaid) contract value to a club. If a club wants to terminate a deal early, this club is obligated to pay 25% or 50% or 100% (depend on the time of a year) to the remaining contract value to a player.

The KHL clubs do not sign in principle any players, especially non-Russians, under a condition when the player would leave this KHL club mid-season. And, if Pilut wanted to leave Traktor by October or December, he would not sign a TWO-YEAR deal. He would sign just a one-year deal.

Of course, he can leave early if he does not adapt to Russia & KHL, but it is another story .... it would mean he is not good enough for KHL.
Well this is depressing me. So apparently we just lost a quality NHL defensemen (one of the rare bright spots the past 2 years) for nothing.

FIRE. BOTTERILL. YESTERDAY.

Unless of course this turns out to not be right ;)

member 311261

The point I was trying to make was that given the NHL is going to have players sitting on the shelf possibly until December or beyond, it makes sense that the KHL would loosen the rules at these extraordinary times. It also makes sense for Botteril and Pilut to come to a mutual agreement to go play hockey instead of rusting up in N America.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
At the end of the day we don’t know if Pilut was going to play for the Sabres. They had decided he wasn’t a top priority.

Guys like Bryson and Borgen might be preferred options and I like both. They might go after a UFA like Dillon.

It will not sink the team but it does show as many have pointed out a lack of understanding value , an inability to properly develop players and another black eye in regards to European Free agents signing with the team. Just another piece of bad news piling on the hill that is Sabres misery.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Something that hasn't been considered is that Pilut decided on his own that the NHL wasn't for him. I remember when he signed he said something to effect, "I want to try it out for a couple years". He was getting crushed on the boards almost every game. Maybe it wasn't any fun for him or he feared that concussionville was just around the corner. His final game was 3/5/2020 and he missed the rest of the season with an illness.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Losing the asset to the KHL is a miss for sure. No matter how you slice it this is a feather taken out of Botteril's cap, if he has any left. However, unlike many here, I never saw Pilut as a top 4 defenseman at the NHL level, certainly not a top 4 on a playoff team. Used correctly he could have made a solid third pairing Dman. The problem is we have about 3-5 young defenseman that will need to start playing NHL minutes in the next three years to keep their hockey and asset value development on track. In my mind his best use, along with Risto and McCabe, was as a trade asset to fix some of the monster holes in our lineup.

Ultimately this is the continued pain of the failure to move a seasoned defenseman late summer through fall, which basically pissed all the defenseman off, prevented Ralph from getting a top 7 set, and ultimately probably cost us some points in the standings.

The only positive here, is that if you are uncertain about his ability to consistently play well at the NHL level, then you qualify him, let him play his two years in the KHL, and if he can handle it and excel, you can revisit signing him for a fulltime spot or trading his rights with more value. Not a total loss here, but one that was not needed.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

It sounds like management gave him the "we'll see" much like I do to my kids. Pilut decided that a bird in the hand was better than two in the bush.

HighPingDrifter

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2017
He didn't deserve a one way deal. He just wasn't impactful here. Would rather have Borgen and Bryson getting time this coming year.
I see Bryson splitting time next year with Rochester. Also isn't Borgen more a RD? Now instead of having a cost effective LD under contract, we have to trade for one. Or try and find one in free agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad