Confirmed with Link: Sabres have signed Lawrence Pilut (LD, HV71)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
We will see what happens with Pilut. The NHL out clause makes it a pretty low risk move to try to get a better contract/playing time in the NHL.

If Pilut isn't signed to a NHL deal by the end of training camp, I think we can all rage on J-Botts. It'd be legendarily stupid to lose a NHL ready asset like Pilut go when the team has this many holes to fill roster wise.

Can't happen now. While the NHL and KHL still don't have an official transfer agreement, they have continued to agree to respect each other's contracts. A player on a valid NHL contract cannot sign one one to play in the KHL, and vice versa. The existence of an "out clause" is definitely unknown. Someone previously cited a NHL AGM who said those clauses don't exist now, but they clearly have in the past.

Either way, that likely won't matter. If Buffalo sent him a QO, they retain his rights even if he is playing in the KHL. However, since he turns 25 this December, he becomes an NHL Group 6 UFA once his KHL contract expires, unless there is a provision for tolling the deal in the CBA that I'm forgetting about.

Reactions: brian_griffin

barriers

Feb 10, 2020

This is a response regarding Zacha last summer. It comes from the recently-hired Assistant GM of Avangard Omsk.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
more reason why Botts is not equipped to do the job

Next GM should NOT be a former player, who retired due to concussion problems. Get someone who physically still has a full deck, not one whose head was bashed in a hundred times. May as well have hired Rob Ray for the job. Intellect is about the same

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
more reason why Botts is not equipped to do the job

Next GM should NOT be a former player, who retired due to concussion problems. Get someone who physically still has a full deck, not one whose head was bashed in a hundred times. May as well have hired Rob Ray for the job. Intellect is about the same
I agree except the fact I would hire the Hunter brothers as coach and GM in a second and put Kruger as head of hockey operations but let's just say he is unqualified concussions or no concussions

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
I agree except the fact I would hire the Hunter brothers as coach and GM in a second and put Kruger as head of hockey operations but let's just say he is unqualified concussions or no concussions

No way, given how Hunter played, that he is operating with a full deck.

I'd rather hire some math geek as the GM

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Can't happen now. While the NHL and KHL still don't have an official transfer agreement, they have continued to agree to respect each other's contracts. A player on a valid NHL contract cannot sign one one to play in the KHL, and vice versa. The existence of an "out clause" is definitely unknown. Someone previously cited a NHL AGM who said those clauses don't exist now, but they clearly have in the past.

Either way, that likely won't matter. If Buffalo sent him a QO, they retain his rights even if he is playing in the KHL. However, since he turns 25 this December, he becomes an NHL Group 6 UFA once his KHL contract expires, unless there is a provision for tolling the deal in the CBA that I'm forgetting about.
He could only become a Group 6 player upon the expiration of an NHL contract. He doesn't suddenly change from being an unsigned RFA to a Group 6 UFA. Aside from that, at no point will he meet the Group 6 UFA requirements. A player must have 3 professional seasons to be eligible for Group 6 status. However, a professional season requires the player to be party to an NHL contract during that season to count. Since Pilut will not be party to an NHL contract, he will not gain a third professional season.

If the Sabres qualify Pilut, they will hold his rights until he becomes eligible for Group 3 UFA status following June 30, 2023.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
is there any chance that other FAs would choose to sign in the KHL this year, following Pilut's lead? Would that be an option if there is a massive escrow levied?

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
He could only become a Group 6 player upon the expiration of an NHL contract. He doesn't suddenly change from being an unsigned RFA to a Group 6 UFA. Aside from that, at no point will he meet the Group 6 UFA requirements. A player must have 3 professional seasons to be eligible for Group 6 status. However, a professional season requires the player to be party to an NHL contract during that season to count. Since Pilut will not be party to an NHL contract, he will not gain a third professional season.

If the Sabres qualify Pilut, they will hold his rights until he becomes eligible for Group 3 UFA status following June 30, 2023.

Thanks for the correction. I missed the 'while under an SPC' modifiers, apparently about 5 times. :)

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
We could have probably gotten a 2nd rounder for him too. I’m sure Montreal would be all over a trade but Botterill f***s it up again. Hard to image making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year and being miserably bad but able to retain your job. Shocking the Pegulas have been this successful based on how their running their NHL team into the ground.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
We could have probably gotten a 2nd rounder for him too. I’m sure Montreal would be all over a trade but Botterill f***s it up again. Hard to image making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year and being miserably bad but able to retain your job. Shocking the Pegulas have been this successful based on how their running their NHL team into the ground.

Hey...they know more than we do...

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo
anigif_sub-buzz-902-1570661684-1.gif

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Botterill is still a big dumb idiot but as far as the loss of Pilut goes, Jacob Bryson is a similar defenseman and imo has the same potential Pilut has.

Borgen and Bryson need NHL duty soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->