Confirmed with Link: Sabres have signed Lawrence Pilut (LD, HV71)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Does that mean that if he wants to come back to the NHL before 2023, he has to go through us?
There wouldn't be any precedent for it, but I suppose he could in theory sign an offer sheet, but even then the Sabres hold right of first refusal. Otherwise, yes, he would only be able to come back to the Sabres (unless they traded away his rights). All of this is assuming the Sabres issue him a qualifying offer, mind you.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
There wouldn't be any precedent for it, but I suppose he could in theory sign an offer sheet, but even then the Sabres hold right of first refusal. Otherwise, yes, he would only be able to come back to the Sabres (unless they traded away his rights). All of this is assuming the Sabres issue him a qualifying offer, mind you.
They may as well. He is worth the investment and i dont think an arbitrator is going to give him too high of a pay day.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
They may as well. He is worth the investment and i dont think an arbitrator is going to give him too high of a pay day.
If Pilut's going to the KHL he won't be filing for arbitration. I don't really see why the Sabres would choose to file either, although I suppose they could.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
as a hypothetical, how much could Dahlin make in the KHL after next season?

We own his NHL rights as an RFA, but he's fully unrestricted in terms of the KHL

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Does Beane have a cousin or in-law who knows about hockey and financial management?

Like how ****ing bad do you have to be at your job as an NHL GM to turn a free, cost controlled 2nd or 3rd pairing PMD out of a Euro league into literally nothing?

And it would be one thing if he got squeezed out by other talented youngsters, but no, our dumbass GM decided to keep Zach Bogosian around years past his expiration date and our dumbass coaches kept playing him to the detriment of the team.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Jason "idiot" Botterill

Now we have a more of RDs and only two LDs and one of them is McCabe. But Bogosian got playing time, bravo! :mad:

Reactions: Snippit

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Does Beane have a cousin or in-law who knows about hockey and financial management?

Like how ****ing bad do you have to be at your job as an NHL GM to turn a free, cost controlled 2nd or 3rd pairing PMD out of a Euro league into literally nothing?

And it would be one thing if he got squeezed out by other talented youngsters, but no, our dumbass GM decided to keep Zach Bogosian around years past his expiration date and our dumbass coaches kept playing him to the detriment of the team.

This has nothing to do with Bogo.

They have 5 under contract for next year.

Risto
Miller
McCabe
Dahlin
Jokiharju

Montour and Pilut are the RFAs.

If I'm Pilut, and I assume both myself and Montour are going to be retained. It also looks like at best , I'd be getting 3rd pairing minutes, with the reality more like I'm the 7th. He likely asked to be traded to somewhere that there wasn't a logjam in front of him, and didn't get his wish, so he took his only other real option he had.

Pilut will also be a Group 6 UFA soon. He turn 25 in December, he's already hit the 3 pro season requirement, and he will absolutely be under 80 NHL games at that point.

I do think JB needs to be criticized for not getting something back for him once it became clear he wasn't going to crack the roster, and with group 6 on the horizon.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Wish him the best of luck overseas. It's understandable, I look forward to seeing him Chicago, Detroit, or some other team that will actually follow through with giving him a path down the road.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

Another sad part is the players probably understand this. Like even if they were friends with Bogo, I dont believe for a second any of them preferred to play with him to Pilut

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Risto
Miller
McCabe
Dahlin
Jokiharju

If I'm Pilut, and I assume both myself and Montour are going to be retained. It also looks like at best , I'd be getting 3rd pairing minutes, with the reality more like I'm the 7th. He likely asked to be traded to somewhere that there wasn't a logjam in front of him, and didn't get his wish, so he took his only other real option he had.

Pilut will also be a Group 6 UFA soon. He turn 25 in December, he's already hit the 3 pro season requirement, and he will absolutely be under 80 NHL games at that point.

I do think JB needs to be criticized for not getting something back for him once it became clear he wasn't going to crack the roster, and with group 6 on the horizon.
Sigh. We lose Pilut while keeping McCabe and Miller. The hockey gods have not been kind to us Sabres fans.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Another sad part is the players probably understand this. Like even if they were friends with Bogo, I dont believe for a second any of them preferred to play with him to Pilut
The instinct to protect the jewels dates back to when man took those tentative first steps on two legs.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Risto
Miller
McCabe
Dahlin
Jokiharju

His/the coaching staff's refusal/inability to get some guys (Pilut and Smith come to mind) NHL looks for more than 5 seconds to either see what they have or boost their trade value while black holes like Bogo and Sobotka got endless chances is another drain on their already terrible management.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
We will see what happens with Pilut. The NHL out clause makes it a pretty low risk move to try to get a better contract/playing time in the NHL.

If Pilut isn't signed to a NHL deal by the end of training camp, I think we can all rage on J-Botts. It'd be legendarily stupid to lose a NHL ready asset like Pilut go when the team has this many holes to fill roster wise.

Drunkard

May 16, 2018
We will see what happens with Pilut. The NHL out clause makes it a pretty low risk move to try to get a better contract/playing time in the NHL.

If Pilut isn't signed to a NHL deal by the end of training camp, I think we can all rage on J-Botts. It'd be legendarily stupid to lose a NHL ready asset like Pilut go when the team has this many holes to fill roster wise.

Legendarily stupid sounds about par for the course for Jason Botterill.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

I haven't seen anything confirm that there is an out-clause. The tweet that mentioned the out-clause was made with the possibility of an out-clause being in the contract. "...Maybe there is an NHL out-clause with his contract, but I'm not so sure..."

Now it could be a negotiation tactic, where Pilut and his agent are assuring he has playing time, whether at the NHL or KHL.

Right now, the issue at hand is what people have been saying since the beginning, that Botterill's decision making is causing a logjam at defense hindering guys some opportunities to play. Right now, its confirmation that Botterill's poor decisions are having. This is just another "throw another log on the fire" case here. Whether Pilut signs back or not, the main concern is still there and has potential for long term impact, especially on the heels of Eichel's frustration with the organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad