Confirmed with Link: Sabres have signed Lawrence Pilut (LD, HV71)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The burying of the lede on this story is mindblowing: This organization is going to pay a terrible price for their stupidity because if you are a European UFA the first team you are going to cross off your list are the Sabres. This organization's name is worse than mud.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Sobotka can’t get out of KHL contract

I didn't pull it out of my ass, friend.

I'm astounded, just to reiterate, your proof of an existence of something is, again, an anecdote in which said thing does not exist. Mine is a recent and direct quote from a KHL assitant manager. On top of that, YOUR OWN QUOTE PROVIDED TO BACK UP YOUR ARGUMENT CONCLUDES WITH "Whether that’s true or not, I don’t know.” Honestly, if you had pulled something out of your ass you would have been equally effective.

Also, note how the mention of the clause is framed as " an “out” clause " rather than "an out clause." Important distinction in the English language, probably because it was never a true out-clause discussed, possibly a player-option for a period of said contract.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
How long is his KHL contract? Can he still be chosen in the expansion draft if he's in the KHL that year?

I realize the chances of him wanting to return at some point are probably low because of how Big Head bungled the defensemen situation, though.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The burying of the lede on this story is mindblowing: This organization is going to pay a terrible price for their stupidity because if you are a European UFA the first team you are going to cross off your list are the Sabres. This organization's name is worse than mud.

And the Pilut signing is the kind of found money this franchise or any struggling franchise desperately needs. Pro-ready from day 1 of being on the team, could've been at worst a cheap 3rd pairing PMD that we acquired for free.

But we had to keep a bunch of extra dmen because dumbass Big Head said so. Results of that:

Bogo the pylon probably costing us a playoff spot and causing issues with being unhappy.

Selling Scandella off for cheap.

Alienating Miller by promising him a bigger role and then scratching him regularly.

Alienating and potentially losing Pilut because Botts doesn't understand how player development works.

Just waiting for Botts to top this mess off by giving Montour $5M per for 4 years.

Not that Botts made the coaching decisions but he could've prevented most of them from happening by fixing the logjam on defense.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I see a lot of comments about Pilut and Miller being “alienated” but if either of them forced their way onto the every game roster the way Jokiharju did, they’d be...you know...on the roster. Potential only gets you so far, and Pilut’s stint with the Sabres this year wasn’t impressive at all. He looked good with Ristolainen last season and played well with the Amerks, but he didn’t do anything to warrant a cemented place in the lineup. If he had, he would have it.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I see a lot of comments about Pilut and Miller being “alienated” but if either of them forced their way onto the every game roster the way Jokiharju did, they’d be...you know...on the roster. Potential only gets you so far, and Pilut’s stint with the Sabres this year wasn’t impressive at all. He looked good with Ristolainen last season and played well with the Amerks, but he didn’t do anything to warrant a cemented place in the lineup. If he had, he would have it.

Joker also had an in to get that spot, guys in front of him were injured in the beginning of the year.

Don’t get me wrong, Joker earned that spot with his good play.

Reactions: Reddawg

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
LOL. Our entire fan base has been perplexed why our NHL-quality 24-year-old defensemen is stuck in the AHL.

Not exactly shocking Pilut feels the same way

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
That was 2014 though. They may have changed their rules or whatever their equivalent of the CBA is.
It seems like it’s a case-by-case type of thing and that most “out clauses” are actually player or club options mis-reported as out clauses.
The league, by virtue of its lack of a transfer agreement with the NHL, does not have built-in out clauses like some of the more friendly leagues and has become increasingly protectionist in recent years, so I think it’s unlikely that any true out clauses exist, but are just the aforementioned options.

History tells us that no matter what type of codified rules the KHL has, the league will just modify them to allow it to do whatever benefits its most important stakeholders the most, so there’s really no definitive answer.
That’s why you have an owner that owns two teams in the league and most of the league’s talent concentrated on a handful of teams with strong government connections..

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
We are in bizarro times... But this is what seems to make sense.
  1. As long as he has the NHL out clause, he is giving himself some great leverage for his next contract negotiation (and we all know how good Botterill is at that....)
  2. Its also a fallback option if the NHL cancels but the KHL plays on
  3. If Botterill loses Pilut after last season where he was stashed in the minors while we regularly played provably worse defensemen, this is just another major black on on a guy who gets himself pummeled...

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
That was 2014 though. They may have changed their rules or whatever their equivalent of the CBA is.

That is likely, sure. I also think it's possible that the rules over there are fungible depending on the time and situation, because that's how many things in Russia work. :)

Clearly both sources cited were reputable enough to say they weren't making it up, so who knows for sure.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I am a bit perplexed by this outpouring of love for Pilut. He may well have developed better but he did not live up to the hype. At the games I was at while I saw some skill and skating ability I also his problems one on one defensively and his tendency to bad giveaways. The tighter checking and smaller ice surface than he was used to no doubt contributed to this. I think had he been totally healthy he might have seen more nhl time after Christmas to show he could transfer his skills to the nhl--but I am speculating.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Not that Botts made the coaching decisions but he could've prevented most of them from happening by fixing the logjam on defense.

hw did this to himself

he acquires Montour
then Miller
then Joki
then you have to keep Pilut in the AHL due to numbers.

i do wonder if this could be a way to stash him in the ED where nobody would pick him. Buffalo still has his rights till he is 27. He was a potential pick if exposed.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
hw did this to himself

he acquires Montour
then Miller
then Joki
then you have to keep Pilut in the AHL due to numbers.

i do wonder if this could be a way to stash him in the ED where nobody would pick him. Buffalo still has his rights till he is 27. He was a potential pick if exposed.

not to mention he kept bogo, scandella, and mccabe...with a defense that already had Dahlin and Risto.

In other words, big brain added three defensemen to a team that already had 6 defensemen, and kept them all lol

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
not to mention he kept bogo, scandella, and mccabe...with a defense that already had Dahlin and Risto.

In other words, big brain added three defensemen to a team that already had 6 defensemen, and kept them all lol

well, he did eventually move Scandella, but I think there's no question that the defense looks better with Pilut, Miller, and Joker than it does with Bogo, Scandella, and McCabe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad