Confirmed with Link: Sabres have signed Lawrence Pilut (LD, HV71)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

Even 10 days later, that sequence is so baffling (buffling?) to watch. I find myself asking "what are you doing" to almost every single player on the ice. From Jack and Jeff just kind of hanging out like they're taking warmups, to Bogo taking the worst angle possible and taking himself out of the play behind the net, to Sam and Scandella actually instinctively putting themselves good position but then not even trying to play hockey once there.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Scratching him in favor of players who are demonstrably worse does not address this issue.

This is the whole stats debate in a nutshell. The fact that opposing forwards are capable of "depositing him in the crease" is irrelevant. The question is, "Is he effective at playing hockey anyway?" And the answer to that question is a resounding, "Yes." It's literally the "Moneyball" concept.

ve. If the coach doesn't understand that, so be it - but the general manager damn well better understand it.

This in general is a fascinating old school coaching strategy question.

It happens in all sports and walks of life, but to Pilut type of players specifically.

How many times would coaches choose the safer, more traditional cliche choices, tough defender in front of the net, unlikely to make clear mistakes to the average fan, over choosing a clearly more effective player who occasionally makes a very ugly mistake?

I think it’s disturbingly weighted towards the safe, less questionable player. Oof

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Scandella is allowed to make errors. He is a total scrub, but he's Housley's pet so he will NEVER be benched, even if he scores a hat trick of own goals
Think of the Sabres locker room as kennel. You can't teach an old dog new tricks. You have train them while they're pups. Pilut already fetches better than Scandella, but he still isn't housebroken. Scandella was never housebroken. Too many dog years have passed to attempt it.

Reactions: sabremike

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Scandella’s not a scrub. Or even in the same realm. Good grief.
Tennyson. Now he’s a scrub. Elie. Yea, he’s a scrub too.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Pilut getting the rookie treatment when he isn't some 20 year old run of the mill rookie.

He's 23 and was the godamn defenseman of the year in a pro league.

Reactions: sabremike

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Reactions: Buffaloed

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Pilut and Bowl-u as the healthy scratches?
Come on Phil, what? Are we shopping Hunwick? Can't believe it.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Maybe I’m the only one who sees David Rundblad (who won it at 21 and washed out hard) and Magnus Nygren (who won it at 22 and fled North America because living in Hamilton was too scary) on the list?

Youre conspicuously ignoring Mattias Ekholm on the list. You're right I did miss Nygren though.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Youre conspicuously ignoring Mattias Ekholm on the list. You're right I did miss Nygren though.
I see him. That’s one guy out of ten, so far. Yes, Heed is in the NHL but won’t be for long, I don’t think. Pilut, I’m honestly a huge fan of. I think he’s a very good player and I think he can be a very great player if he’s brought along well and developed right. There’s a lot to be said for letting a guy make mistakes, and then work his way back into the lineup with the right attitude.

Reactions: Fezzy126

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
He should be in vs. Dallas if there's any assistant coaches or analytic guys who actually watched tonight's game. I have no faith that Housley comes to that conclusion. Pilut-Risto Dahlin-Bogo McCabe-Nelson when hes ready. Trade Beaulieu or Trade Scandella or Waive Hunwick. Whichever.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I had hoped that if they kept Risto that they could work these two together in preseason to see if their underlying numbers would continue and start the season off together in a #2 role, looking at maybe 20-21 minutes a night in a moderately shielded role. Instead... nope.

Reactions: Jim Bob

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
10 min interview in swedish: HVTV träffar Lawrence Pilut om första året i NHL
Boring interview, no takeaways really but if you guys are curious:
  • Really enjoyed the start of the season in Rochester
  • Called the players in Rochester "gubbar" a direct translation would be "old men" (doesn't really come with a negative connotation in swedish) but refers to the players in Buffalo as "grabbar" which is slang for "boys." Both a pretty common when refering to teammates in Sweden but funny that he used the words exclusively for each team.
  • Nervous first game in the NHL, not much of a big deal after that
  • Brought his GF to the states
  • Enjoying both Buffalo and Rochester
  • Went back to Sweden for the surgery since it was the same as last time, rehabing with the old veterans Teemu Laine and Björn Melin as personal coaches "they really know how to trigger him" (ex cult players), working har din the gym
  • Practicing a lot with Brännström (don't know if he means Isac or Erik)
  • Hanging out with Borgman as well
  • First priority is rehab, long term to get back to playing for the Sabres (doesn't seem averse to some time in Rochester)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->