Sabres Goat-lending (Capra fenerantis): The Other, Other Elephant in the Room

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
I think Ullmark will improve but have my doubts about Hutton.. The league seemed to watch film and seemed to figure both out after our brief time in the sun and we had to be taken seriously..
I am rooting for Carter as he seems a personality that is beneficial but seems an inch short in all physical measurables that gives nhl snipers the corners more than ullmark .. I am not a goalie but his technique failed to adjust to this fact and the analytical stuff would be more interesting if it was before Florida trip and after with high danger etc.. is there a target chart etc?
I think they deserve a chance as I wonder how they both respond to being exposed with a new coach..Hooefully kkkk shines while this plays out.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I have more faith in Hutton stabilizing behind a better structured defense then I have of Ullmark emerging as the Sabres #1.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I have more faith in Hutton stabilizing behind a better structured defense then I have of Ullmark emerging as the Sabres #1.

I am a maybe on your first point and I agree on your second. I will be happily surprised by both. It would be great to see something break in their favor, especially in net.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I am a maybe on your first point and I agree on your second. I will be happily surprised by both. It would be great to see something break in their favor, especially in net.

The one thing that will be interesting to watch is do teams go back to the days where they give their #2s a lot more games.

If you look back in the day, Billy Smith would average 40-45 regular season games before carrying the load in the playoffs.

Rask is having a really good playoff run after playing only 46 regular season games.

With managing workload becoming a thing in other sports, especially the NBA, I wonder if this is something that will happen more and more in the NHL.

So, that places a bigger priority on a #2 that can win games and give the #1 games off before heading into the playoffs.

I honestly have no idea what Hutton or Ullmark, or even UPL, will become. But, I do have some hope that with improved coaching, both from an overall team and system POV and goalie coaching, as well, that a duo of Hutton and Ullmark can be good enough to get this team to the playoffs.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

Several others have locked up a sure-fire No. 1 and should have little issue re-signing a second netminder; Winnipeg, Anaheim, Vegas and Buffalo come to mind.

Who's our No. 1? And then Philly is on their list?!? :confused:

The writer must have been high when he wrote this...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The one thing that will be interesting to watch is do teams go back to the days where they give their #2s a lot more games.

If you look back in the day, Billy Smith would average 40-45 regular season games before carrying the load in the playoffs.

Rask is having a really good playoff run after playing only 46 regular season games.

With managing workload becoming a thing in other sports, especially the NBA, I wonder if this is something that will happen more and more in the NHL.

So, that places a bigger priority on a #2 that can win games and give the #1 games off before heading into the playoffs.

I honestly have no idea what Hutton or Ullmark, or even UPL, will become. But, I do have some hope that with improved coaching, both from an overall team and system POV and goalie coaching, as well, that a duo of Hutton and Ullmark can be good enough to get this team to the playoffs.

The Islanders also had a more balanced use.

And the coaching is the biggest thing -- these guys are doing things that look so counter-intuitive, making mistakes that seem like no NHL minder should be making. And it's four of them now, not just Hutton and Ullmark, but going back through Lehner and Johnson v2.0. Something has to give there.

UPL there is hope, but man, that ship is way, way far from port at this moment. Between the injury and typical goalie development, will he be sniffing the roster in 2-3 years? I don't know.

Reactions: Fezzy126

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The Islanders also had a more balanced use.

And the coaching is the biggest thing -- these guys are doing things that look so counter-intuitive, making mistakes that seem like no NHL minder should be making. And it's four of them now, not just Hutton and Ullmark, but going back through Lehner and Johnson v2.0. Something has to give there.

UPL there is hope, but man, that ship is way, way far from port at this moment. Between the injury and typical goalie development, will he be sniffing the roster in 2-3 years? I don't know.

I just hope we do see a new goalie coach in here...

Reactions: Chainshot

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I don't know if this was posted. It's from a couple weeks ago.
Mike Bales' objective: Make Sabres goalies 'best version of themselves'
Bales needs to knock it off with the make yourself the best version of yourself crap. Coaches shouldn't sound like infomertials.
Make sure javascript is enabled so you don't break the paywall.

Hutton says that Linus needs to be pushed.
"I think for Linus it’s a guy who’s going to push [him] and from what I’ve been told [Bales] is a straight shooter. He’s going to tell you what he thinks. For me, truthfully, I try to hold myself accountable and do that, but maybe for Linus it will be a little extra push. I think both of us will benefit from that."

Last edited:

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Bales needs to knock it off with the make yourself the best version of yourself. Coaches shouldn't sound like infomertials.
Make sure you're javascript is enabled so you don't break the paywall.

"I think for Linus it’s a guy who’s going to push [him] and from what I’ve been told [Bales] is a straight shooter. He’s going to tell you what he thinks. For me, truthfully, I try to hold myself accountable and do that, but maybe for Linus it will be a little extra push. I think both of us will benefit from that."

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Bales needs to knock it off with the make yourself the best version of yourself. Coaches shouldn't sound like infomertials.
Make sure you're javascript is enabled so you don't break the paywall.

But Wait... There's more!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->