TBN: Sabres' Fog Game had it all: Unforgettable atmosphere, iconic goals, odd interruptions

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Another in the 50th anniversary series

Sabres' Fog Game had it all: Unforgettable atmosphere, iconic goals, odd interruptions

Game 3 of the Cup final between the Sabres and Philadelphia Flyers. The Sabres trailed series 2-0. Bernie Parent had their number.

A bat was seen flying in the rafters of the Aud and suddenly started to swoop down over the ice. A few players swatted at it with their sticks (or towels, if they were sitting on the bench) with no success. But Sabres winger Jim Lorentz struck it down with one swat just before a faceoff in the Philadelphia zone, earning a nickname ("Batman") that stuck for the rest of his playing days.

Sabres winger Danny Gare: "Nobody wanted to touch the thing. He knocked it with his stick out of the air. That was some amazing hand-eye coordination. It was flying around and Jimmy knocks it down in the faceoff circle. Everybody stood around, looked at it, looked at it, and no one moved on it. (Flyers center) Rick MacLeish just goes, takes his glove off and grabs it with his hand. I couldn't believe that. Skates over to the penalty box and drops it in there. Later in the game I hear (Flyers defenseman) Jimmy Watson going, 'I said to Ricky he could have got rabies and Ricky goes, 'It was dead.' "

Flyers enforcer Dave "The Hammer" Schultz: "Ricky picks it up and puts it in the penalty box. Better the bat there than me. We were laughing. Couldn't believe it. Brave guy."

Would Curtis Lazar have eaten it?

Rene Robert scored the winner in OT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad