Sabres fire Don Granato, hire Lindy Ruff as head coach

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Bruce, there it is!
Boudreau would be a good fit for the Sabres, but I think he would only coach one more team in the NHL, the Leafs as he was drafted by them. That might be possible if the Leafs fire Keefe for not getting past the 1st round. TMac as someone else mentioned would be bad hire as he doesn't like making adjustments and doesn't put emphasis on player match ups.

The Sabers need a playoff coach, but not sure who is out there they could hire other than Berube.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'd love to see Berube. Question is, does any legitimate NHL quality coach want to work for Pegula and Co.? It seems like they have an awful reputation around the league at this point

No legitimate GM wanted to work for him, hence why they had to hire Adams.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
And another bajillion hall of famers. Not that he wasn't good, but he self-admits that he was carried his first year and a bit.
He carried them in the playoffs against a very strong Bruin's team the year before he was a rookie. Won the Smythe before he was even eligible for the Calder. Won the Calder in his rookie year, and placed 2nd in Hart voting.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Boudreau would be a good fit for the Sabres, but I think he would only coach one more team in the NHL, the Leafs as he was drafted by them. That might be possible if the Leafs fire Keefe for not getting past the 1st round. TMac as someone else mentioned would be bad hire as he doesn't like making adjustments and doesn't put emphasis on player match ups.

The Sabers need a playoff coach, but not sure who is out there they could hire other than Berube.
Sabres need a guy to get them into the playoffs, to start with. First things first. I think Boudreau would take just about any job....there are only so many of them, but if the Leafs flame out again in the playoffs BB would surely be under consideration as a Keefe replacement.

Evason wouldn't be bad as a poor man's alternative to Berube.

I have a feeling that there is more wrong in that organization than coaching, however.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
whats killed the Sabres as a team is that they just lack any sort of forecheck. They are the type of team that only turns up when there are no stakes, and they also lack any good veterans. I like Kyle Okposo but he was not a captain for this team IMO. The bigger issue at hand is how they handled their goalie play after Levi wasn't doing so well, and UPL ended up being the #1. If you're the Sabres, do not mess anything up. Get the right veterans for this team, and make sure whoever the next coach is can mold that young core into being a good team.

Reactions: ZYXWVUT

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
whats killed the Sabres as a team is that they just lack any sort of forecheck. They are the type of team that only turns up when there are no stakes, and they also lack any good veterans. I like Kyle Okposo but he was not a captain for this team IMO. The bigger issue at hand is how they handled their goalie play after Levi wasn't doing so well, and UPL ended up being the #1. If you're the Sabres, do not mess anything up. Get the right veterans for this team, and make sure whoever the next coach is can mold that young core into being a good team.
I don't agree with this at all. The team lacked preparedness. I think Granato treated the team like a bunch of rookie kids when some of them have absolutely taken the next step and need harder practices. More accountability. Etc. On top of that, Granato's staff seemed to do a poor job of preparing for the night's matchup. Sabres consistently came out flat, went down early, and had to play catch up.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Sabres need a guy to get them into the playoffs, to start with. First things first. I think Boudreau would take just about any job....there are only so many of them, but if the Leafs flame out again in the playoffs BB would surely be under consideration as a Keefe replacement.

I have a feeling that there is more wrong in that organization than coaching, however.
There are obvious problems with roster construction, but the question on which coach would be the best fit is still an interesting one. I see no obvious answer.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Yes we had 4 or 5 guys that didn't belong in NHL and we have another 3 to 4 guys who are talented but are probably too young to be relied on in the manner that they are.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Please not Ruff. Dude just flamed out in NJ again, after having previously pretty much flamed out in NJ, after having flamed out in Dallas.

Dude is cooked, good assistants propped him up for a year before it all went bad again. It’d be very Sabres of them, I’m praying someone there actually follows hockey enough to see that trend.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
On Berube, An Ottawa beat writer covering their coaching search said a bunch of execs around the league think he will be the next Leafs coach if they go out quickly.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
My coworker claims that the issue is that Pegula has an internal cap but I haven't been able to Google any recent correlation to that. It's all stuff from 2020. Is that still a possibility? Because who would want to work for a team that their boss doesn't allow to use all the resources available by the league rules?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad