Sabres Expansion Draft Protection Discussion (Skinner waives NMC for Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
The recent addition of Jokiharju adds another solid D prospect that may have to be protected in the Seattle 2021 NHL Expansion Draft. Unless other moves are made we may have to expose a valuable asset. Seattle Expansion Draft Simulator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

You can protect 7 Forwards / 3 Defense / 1 Goalie -or- 8 Forward or Defense / 1 Goalie

Normally you just protect 7F/3D/G so let's assume that's the case. Here is what I propose:

Forwards:
Skinner - Must be protected due to NMC
Eichel
Reinhart
Mittelstadt
Olofsson
Thompson
Asplund

Defense:
Dahlin
Montour
Jokiharju

Goalie:
Ullmark

The following players are exempt:​
EXEMPTAGEPOSCAP HITEXPIRY
Ruotsalainen, Arttu21C$925,000RFA (2022)
Pekar, Matej19C$778,333RFA (2022)
Bryson, Jacob21D$889,166RFA (2022)
Fitzgerald, Casey22D$858,750RFA (2021)
Luukkonen, Ukko-Pekka20G$778,333RFA (2022)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Unfortunately, we will expose some good players, especially on D. Here are some of the players that would be exposed : CJ Smith, Rodrigues, Ristolainen, Miller, Pilut, Borgen and McCabe.

I didn't protect Ristolainen because I expect him to be traded. If we receive a TOP 6 forward in return we may have to protect that player which would expose another forward. Sabres may have to trade some young D prospects in order to get some assets in exchange. Hopefully, in a couple years we may have some young D pushing for playing time like Bryson or Fitzgerald. Laaksonen, Samuelsson and Johnson may need additional time in the AHL.

What are your thoughts? It may be too early to think about the expansion draft, but as a GM you have to plan for the inevitable. One of the reasons Chicago traded Jokiharju is that they have 4 players that must be protected due to NMCs in Kane, Toews, Seabrook and Keith.

Captain Holt

Fun? I was never fun! You take that back
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
I go the 8 Skater route... Eichel, Skinner, Reinhart, Mitts, Montour, Dahlin, Joker, Pilut/Risto.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Tough call whether to go 4/4 and protect Pilut or 7/3 and protect Olofsson. I really want to keep both.

Hoping we pay off Seattle with other prospects and picks to take Okposo.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I'm guessing one reason we've stockpiled so many good young puck moving D in our system is to backfill if we lose one to Seattle.

By the expansion draft Dahlin and Joker will be our top 2 D (if not now), and if we lose Montour/Pilut then it's about the same time Johnson/Borgen/Laakssonen/Samuelsson/etc. are ready to step up.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
There's plenty of time for more moves before the expansion draft still. If we have more players worth protecting than protection slots, that's not a bad problem to have---and hopefully Botts will be able to strike a trade with Seattle to keep the players we really want to.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
I think we're looking at losing Pilut in the expansion draft. It's going to come down to who the team values more, Pilut or two of Olofsson, Asplund, Thompson, Rodrigues, "Player from Ristolainen trade")

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
The Sabres lucked out last time around only losing a 4th line player. Other teams lost legit top 6 forwards and top 4 dmen.

Honestly I would prefer to offer 2 2nds+prospect for Seattle to take Okposo. We got out from under his crippling contract, and also avoid losing a quality player. If our guys reach the ceiling that is projected for them it absolutely sickens me at the thought of losing a potential 30 goal scorer in Olofsson or a 2 way top 4 dman in Pilut. Hopefully the Seattle GM is willing to play ball. If he doesn't care about keeping good relations with the rest of the league he could absolutely hold Botts over the fire, demanding a 1st round pick if he values Olofsson or Pilut more then his 1st rounder.

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
The Sabres lucked out last time around only losing a 4th line player. Other teams lost legit top 6 forwards and top 4 dmen.

Honestly I would prefer to offer 2 2nds+prospect for Seattle to take Okposo. We got out from under his crippling contract, and also avoid losing a quality player. If our guys reach the ceiling that is projected for them it absolutely sickens me at the thought of losing a potential 30 goal scorer in Olofsson or a 2 way top 4 dman in Pilut. Hopefully the Seattle GM is willing to play ball. If he doesn't care about keeping good relations with the rest of the league he could absolutely hold Botts over the fire, demanding a 1st round pick if he values Olofsson or Pilut more then his 1st rounder.
dont say that around these parts, you might get shot.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I have a feeling they’ll offer a higher pick (2021 1st?) along with a prospect (Laaksonen or Samuelsson?) in exchange for Seattle to take Okposo. But there’s also the possibility Okposo could be retired by that time if his injury issues continue.

If I had to do it right now?

7-3-1
Eichel
Reinhart
Skinner
Mittelstadt
Olofsson
Thompson
Asplund

Dahlin
Montour/Miller
Jokhiharju/Pilut

4-4-1
Eichel
Skinner
Reinhart
Mittelstadt

Dahlin
Montour/Miller
Jokhiharju
Pilut

The defensemen would be subject to change, it’s just too early to tell how they’ll round out into the lineup.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
My prediction is that Pilut ends up being one of the 3 protected defensemen.

Also pls no exposing Rodrigues...

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

If he holds Botts over a fire that means he is doing his job properly.

We got off pretty lightly with Vegas expansion draft as you say... So losing a semi decent player or having to give up top value to get a favour from Seattle is only fair.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Perhaps I have this incorrect, but wasn't Eichel exempt last time because he was still on his ELC? Wouldn't Dahlin still be on his ELC since the expansion draft happens before the league year ends and thus be exempt?

CrazyWayne

Dec 15, 2018
The sabres are in perfect position for the expansion draft. If they lose a good player, it means the young players are developing well and the sabres are competing in the playoffs.

If the sabres are still competing for the number 1 overall pick we will be able to protect everyone worth anything

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
Perhaps I have this incorrect, but wasn't Eichel exempt last time because he was still on his ELC? Wouldn't Dahlin still be on his ELC since the expansion draft happens before the league year ends and thus be exempt?
I believe you’re just exempt for your first two seasons on your ELC

kp2575

Ray's Pocket Square
Feb 11, 2015
PDX
Tough call whether to go 4/4 and protect Pilut or 7/3 and protect Olofsson. I really want to keep both.

Hoping we pay off Seattle with other prospects and picks to take Okposo.

Can we please stop with this? It’s not going to happen. It’s the same pipe dream as Moulson. The chances of the Sabres getting a compliance type of mechanism from the new CBA is way more likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad