Proposal: Sabres & Ducks

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Ideally the Ducks will be able to bring back Grant and Deslauriers, and could run something like this:

Ritchie - Getzlaf - Kase
Rakell - Steel - Silfverberg
2020 early pick/Zegras - Terry
Deslauriers - Grant - Rowney

Puts young guys like Ritchie, Kase and Steel in a position to take the next step, and you keep that defensively capable 4th line together so that you can properly shelter a "kid line".

I think its unlikely Zegras goes straight to the NHL and even less likely the 2020 pick does. Much more likely to see Lundestrom and Comtois in the mix.

In terms of the trade, the value seems right. People criticizing the Henrique contract forget he can play the final year or two on the wing if need be and, in the meantime, the cap will be going up.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
I think its unlikely Zegras goes straight to the NHL and even less likely the 2020 pick does. Much more likely to see Lundestrom and Comtois in the mix.

In terms of the trade, the value seems right. People criticizing the Henrique contract forget he can play the final year or two on the wing if need be and, in the meantime, the cap will be going up.

Anaheim has nothing to lose. So I agree with this. Zegras should take his time while Ducks are rebuilding. We aren’t competing for anything in the next few years. We don’t need to rush Zegras development and have him become a bust. Even if Anaheim lands Lafrenier in this years draft? I still want both players to be in the minors.

Well said

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Anaheim has nothing to lose. So I agree with this. Zegras should take his time while Ducks are rebuilding. We aren’t competing for anything in the next few years. We don’t need to rush Zegras development and have him become a bust. Even if Anaheim lands Lafrenier in this years draft? I still want both players to be in the minors.

Well said

Zegras will dictate his own timeline with his play, he may or may not be ready next year, but if the Ducks sign him they control his fate and can place him where they like. He's said himself that he only wants to play the one year of college. Again, why do you care about rushing his development when just after the WJC you called him a 4th liner comparable to Nick Ritchie? You're certainly the last person who should be claiming to have a handle on where he's at in his development, stop kidding yourself.

The idea that Lafreniere is going back to the minors is up there with some of your other recent ridiculous takes - look at the history of #1 picks, they all go straight to the NHL with very few exceptions, and Lafreniere and his pro ready frame (plus being a being a late birthday who is a year ahead of many other draft eligibles) makes him 100% guaranteed to be in the NHL next year.

There's a good chance of getting an NHL ready forward if you're picking early in this draft, or in the very least one that's sticking for a 9 game trial. Lafreniere isn't going back to junior. Guys like Stuhtzle, Raymond and Holtz are already playing in men's leagues. Byfield will be a tough one because there are raw aspects to his game but he might not benefit from continuing to manhandle junior players.

It's really odd that someone who has made such outlandish claims about the strength of this draft (it's a great draft but you still manage to severely oversell it), also apparently doesn't think there will be anyone stepping right into the league. Contradicting yourself as usual DucksGo

Reactions: dracom and Dmang714

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Zegras will dictate his own timeline with his play, he may or may not be ready next year, but if the Ducks sign him they control his fate and can place him where they like. He's said himself that he only wants to play the one year of college. Again, why do you care about rushing his development when just after the WJC you called him a 4th liner comparable to Nick Ritchie? You're certainly the last person who should be claiming to have a handle on where he's at in his development, stop kidding yourself.

The idea that Lafreniere is going back to the minors is up there with some of your other recent ridiculous takes - look at the history of #1 picks, they all go straight to the NHL with very few exceptions, and Lafreniere and his pro ready frame (plus being a being a late birthday who is a year ahead of many other draft eligibles) makes him 100% guaranteed to be in the NHL next year.

There's a good chance of getting an NHL ready forward if you're picking early in this draft, or in the very least one that's sticking for a 9 game trial. Lafreniere isn't going back to junior. Guys like Stuhtzle, Raymond and Holtz are already playing in men's leagues. Byfield will be a tough one because there are raw aspects to his game but he might not benefit from continuing to manhandle junior players.

It's really odd that someone who has made such outlandish claims about the strength of this draft (it's a great draft but you still manage to severely oversell it), also apparently doesn't think there will be anyone stepping right into the league. Contradicting yourself as usual DucksGo

People can’t have change of heart apparently. There’s absolutely no reason to rush a player’s development while in contrast of the teams rebuilding phase.

If Zegras wants to do one and done? So be it. He’s still going to the AHL and being groomed before this level of play. And I’m also not liking Lafrenier if we land him on this current Ducks squad. They can build chemistry in Diego on their own line. Before coming up to the big league.

What you don’t understand is protecting your investment. It’s that simple. Do a few call ups to get there feet wet and what not. But I’m not wasting a chance at catastrophe with this crappy team on 2 potential franchise players.

Not everyone is Lebron James or Sidney Crosby going straight to the bigs

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
People can’t have change of heart apparently. There’s absolutely no reason to rush a player’s development while in contrast of the teams rebuilding phase.

If Zegras wants to do one and done? So be it. He’s still going to the AHL and being groomed before this level of play. And I’m also not liking Lafrenier if we land him on this current Ducks squad. They can build chemistry in Diego on their own line. Before coming up to the big league.

What you don’t understand is protecting your investment. It’s that simple. Do a few call ups to get there feet wet and what not. But I’m not wasting a chance at catastrophe with this crappy team on 2 potential franchise players.

Not everyone is Lebron James or Sidney Crosby going straight to the bigs

Having a change of heart is one thing, but calling a prospect a fourth liner right after the world juniors and then deciding he's a franchise cornerstone a few weeks later - that's (mod). In all likelihood you didn't even watch him play between those takes. But either way, it's abundantly clear that your opinions on this player (and in general) are far too erratic to be taken seriously. The guy who called Zegras a 4th liner a month ago doesn't get to try and be the expert on where he's at in his development.

You have called Lafreniere a generational talent on multiple occasions. That's a stretch, but he's not going to the minors either way, regardless of who picks him. Brutally awful take suggesting Lafreniere won't be in the NHL next year, and extra hilarious coming from someone who keeps calling him generational.

All first overall picks are drafted by bad teams Ducksgo, they get the first overall pick by being bad. Go look at all recent history of first overall picks, nearly all of them straight to the NHL. Lafreniere is not going to be the exception.

Last edited by a moderator:

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
This is the kind of trade the Sabres should be looking to make. Value seems fair.

Make the trade or sit on our hands. Large risk either way.

Taking on an older player with 4 years of term and 5.8 aav , who’s play could fall off a cliff at any moment. That’s a lot of risk. But he could also continue with playing at the same level he’s at for the duration of the contract and be the move that turns this around.

The other side of the coin is to continue to sit on our hands and make no moves and continue to have only 1 NHL caliber top 9 C on the roster and continue to wonder why we can’t get out of the basement. And say “it was supposed to be this year, but next year will definitely be the year our prospects will step up to fill those roles” which is what we’ve been doing for 3 years with Botts.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I think this is a very fair offer. The only thing I'm worried about is Henrique leaving a hole at the center position for the next couple of years. Steel isn't ready for that role yet, and while I love Derek Grant, he'd probably be in over his head there, too.
The Ducks are 26h in the league. They have a number of players who are in over their head.

Henrique is 30. Is he going to be helpful when the Ducks turn things around? Or will this trade or another bring back a player who will help when they are ready to be good again? Hose are the real questions in moving him.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Having a change of heart is one thing, but calling a prospect a fourth liner right after the world juniors and then deciding he's a franchise cornerstone a few weeks later - that's (mod). In all likelihood you didn't even watch him play between those takes. But either way, it's abundantly clear that your opinions on this player (and in general) are far too erratic to be taken seriously. The guy who called Zegras a 4th liner a month ago doesn't get to try and be the expert on where he's at in his development.

You have called Lafreniere a generational talent on multiple occasions. That's a stretch, but he's not going to the minors either way, regardless of who picks him. Brutally awful take suggesting Lafreniere won't be in the NHL next year, and extra hilarious coming from someone who keeps calling him generational.

All first overall picks are drafted by bad teams Ducksgo, they get the first overall pick by being bad. Go look at all recent history of first overall picks, nearly all of them straight to the NHL. Lafreniere is not going to be the exception.

Like I said change of heart. The fact you keep nit picking on every single comment I’ve made. And dictating the outcome of what you think of me is ridiculous. Do you want to go that far? Because I’ll show you posts of you saying Carlyle was the problem and Eakins is the answer. When it clearly wasn’t with this hell hole in Anaheim.

And I believe you were on the bandwagon who said, “Troy Terry is going to do some work this season” where’s he at now? Oh that’s right on the fricken bench. Don’t bring my posts up before I bring yours.

Last edited by a moderator:

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
The Ducks are 26h in the league. They have a number of players who are in over their head.

Henrique is 30. Is he going to be helpful when the Ducks turn things around? Or will this trade or another bring back a player who will help when they are ready to be good again? Hose are the real questions in moving him.

Facts but Ducks fans on this board have blinders on. They also said a new coach would change things. NOPE!!!

Having anyone who’s over 30+ on this squad doesn’t work for a 2-3 year rebuild. We are just wasting time and primes of players while we can maximize assets.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Like I said change of heart. The fact you keep nit picking on every single comment I’ve made. And dictating the outcome of what you think of me is ridiculous. Do you want to go that far? Because I’ll show you posts of you saying Carlyle was the problem and Eakins is the answer. When it clearly wasn’t with this hell hole in Anaheim.

And I believe you were on the bandwagon who said, “Troy Terry is going to do some work this season” where’s he at now? Oh that’s right on the fricken bench. Don’t bring my posts up before I bring yours.

Go ahead and find the posts. Let's see them.

Everytime your crappy argument gets shredded, you default to bringing up this coaching thing. Follow through and show me where I said those things.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007

Well said

The fact that you're agreeing with me is causing me to reconsider my initial post.

I know your post wasn't responding to me, but I do care about rushing Zegras development. I'd like to see him fill a top line role in the AHL for at least a bit. And your original post had him in the lineup on the 3L ahead of a guy like lundestrom, who I think is destined for that type of role.

I'm hoping the ducks sign Zegras this year and play him a few games - basically allow him to burn a year of the ELC as an inducement to sign now. Then bring him along slowly with the target of having him be a first or second line center in 2021-22. If he plays his way into the lineup before then, fine. But I wouldn't plan for that.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad