9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
:sabres

C Adam Henrique (4 years at 5.83M)

:ducks

RD Colin Miller (2 years at 3.88M)
RD Oskari Laaksonen

Part of the premise behind this deal is the belief that the Sabres are more motivated to compete for the playoffs in the next couple seasons than the Ducks, who are in a retooling phase.

In Henrique the Sabres are receiving a player who would be their second best center behind Eichel at the present time. It's an area they need to shore up if they'd like to improve immediately. He's on his way to another 25 goal year and a 7th straight 40+ point season. They give up Miller who I believe has not worked out and is part of a RD logjam, a good prospect who would also become part of said logjam, and take on slighty less than 2M in cap for the next two seasons. The downside of course is that they also have Henrique for two additional years and his contract won't look good if his play takes a tumble.

The last part would be a motivator for the Ducks for sure. They get some immediate salary relief but more importantly rid the possibility of a problem contract a couple years down the line, which makes sense when he isn't helping you compete now. Miller isn't completely without intrigue as a buy low guy, and would have a much better chance of getting the offensive usage he needs to bounce back on a team that gets very little offense from its back end. In Laaksonen I tried to choose a prospect who represents a need for the Ducks system, seems to have enough upside to close some of the gap between Henrique and Miller, yet doesn't seem like he'd be someone Buffalo couldn't part with.

Henrique submits a 10 team no trade list if asked to waive his NTC. His family farm is about 1 hour and 40 mins drive from Buffalo, so it's possible he'd like the idea of playing close to home

Last edited:

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Not a bad offer. Henrique wouldn't be my first choice to 'fix' the center problem, but I'd probably prefer him to Turris, V. Rask, Wennberg etc as far as guys with term & $$$'s if that's the only option and signing UFA's like Haula, Soderberg etc isn't a reality.

Miller is expendable and a bit of the shine has worn of Laaksonen for now.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Sure from the Sabres POV. We need someone who can player center, win draws, and chip in ~45 points. Henrique fills that role reasonably well, and means that we only have to find 1 more center in the offseason.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think this is a very fair offer. The only thing I'm worried about is Henrique leaving a hole at the center position for the next couple of years. Steel isn't ready for that role yet, and while I love Derek Grant, he'd probably be in over his head there, too.

Yeah agree with this. Ducks lack goal scoring, and he is leading the team with 19 goals. It's good depth to have at center while the kids are developing. Steel has taken some steps but like to see more from him the rest of this season.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I think this is a very fair offer. The only thing I'm worried about is Henrique leaving a hole at the center position for the next couple of years. Steel isn't ready for that role yet, and while I love Derek Grant, he'd probably be in over his head there, too.

A lot would hinge on whether Zegras is ready to play center in the NHL next year, or whether the Ducks land an NHL ready center prospect early in the draft.

But in theory I would have no problem starting next year with Getzlaf, Steel, Grant playing his same checking role and a rookie center in a sheltered offensive role.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Hrmmgh. Conflicted, because I don't think Steel is ready to take on that 2C role, but I would also like to see if Zegras can take advantage of the opportunity.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
man imagine paying Henrique, skinner, and Okposo for several years after this one...just to plug holes in a lineup that weren't needed if we held onto ROR....no knock on Henrique he'd be a fine add without the years tacked on to his contract. I cant fathom sinking more money not less in aging vets who will probably decline before they add value. Trade Miller for a pick and get his salary off the books. We cant afford to add salary in a swap like this.

Reactions: freester

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I don't want anything to do with that contract. He's a slight upgrade over MoJo playing center and he has a bad contract.

His contract could or will be bad if he declines during it's duration, but right now I'd disagree with any notion that he's overpaid. At 5.8M he's paid fair market value for a veteran center who consistently puts up 40-50 points. 2nd line money for a guy who would be the 5th or 6th best forward on most good teams.

I definitely tried to be keep the asking price modest in respect for the fact that teams aren't going to pay a premium due to the risk involved with the contract.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I don't want anything to do with that contract. He's a slight upgrade over MoJo playing center and he has a bad contract.
MoJo garbage as a center, he also gets injureds. Henrique’s contract is certainly not the most attractive, but not terrible, it is stable and almost does not miss games. Of course, if we could choose from the centers, we could find the best options, but we can’t, and our GM Jason "stupid donkey" Botterill.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
That's where I'm at as well. The cap, term, and his age all give me pause. Value-wise, eh, sure. I like Laaksonen but his jump last year has been mitigated by struggles this year.
idk I'd be pretty ok securing a player like Henrique for that package all things considered. I'm not as concerned with his game falling off a cliff like some other 30yr olds, maybe by year 4, but even then do we trust Botts to fix the issues by attracting UFA's or finding the mythical 'younger 2C' in a trade? Seems like an easy add, I'll worry about '23-'24 if there's actually something to worry about by then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad