Sabres Deadline Grade

thefifagod

I'm The Survivor
Jul 3, 2008
Yep, we should have just gave him away no matter what the highest bidder was offering. That'd have been great asset management.

DixonWard15

Sep 27, 2011
they are not going to buy out drew stafford, regier is patient enough to wait for the right trade

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
they are not going to buy out drew stafford, regier is patient enough to wait for the right trade

Which could very well be the rumored deal around Burmistrov come this summer. Most GM's aren't short-sighted enough to ignore Stafford's entire body of work. Some fans on the other hand.... :laugh:

Ron C.

Sponsor
Jun 16, 2002
Amherst, NY
Visit site
If the summer return on Stafford is likely better, than so be it. The Sabres do need to fill 4 lines and with even Luke Adam up, the potential forwards are limited.

GodHatesBuffalo

Jan 19, 2012
Rochester
If the Sabres are compared to what the rest of the league accomplished on deadline day, they get an A.

If they are compared to one's wild and creative imagination on what they feel should have been done, well that's not really fair now is it?

Prospector74

Jul 5, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
A+. We moved part of the core and got great value for what was moved out. I would like to see Stafford, Miller, and Vanek dealt in the offseason but can see us retaining Stafford if there is no value coming back the other way (we will definitely have the cap space). Having said that, hopefully he heats up for the run in and value goes up. Why move Staff for nothing and have to replace him with an overpriced stopgap UFA to get us through the next 2 years while the kids come up? We already have that in Staff now.

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
I think they shipped out some players they needed to ship out and got a fantastic return. Sometimes, you have to rip the band-aid off.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Which could very well be the rumored deal around Burmistrov come this summer. Most GM's aren't short-sighted enough to ignore Stafford's entire body of work. Some fans on the other hand.... :laugh:

FWIW, the report(s) about Burmistrov being difficult to coach completely turns me off to acquiring him. Less of those players, not more. Bump up Stafford's trade value and deal him for a D-man or a 2nd and 4th.

Dutchess

Jan 23, 2013
Cleveland, OH
To those getting a bit snarky at my assessment of Stafford: I'm clearly being hyperbolic because I don't like the guy. Obviously, I'd like them to get a real asset for him.

Hockeymad

Nov 17, 2003
As much as I think Darcy needs to go, his acumen constructing trades is damn high. He got good value for each piece he traded. Once Ruff was canned, it was only a matter of time that the captain he named would have to go. Pomminville will be missed, but it was necessary. I think the best thing this deal does is create "pressure in the development pipeline", which is something we have not had for a long time. Larrson, Grigorenko, Girgensons, Armia (and others) have talent to challenge for spots next year. I think one of the reasons our top six forwards have been so streaky (exhibit A: Drew Stafford), is there really has not been anyone pushing them down on the farm. Now, whoever is coaching this team next year, will have some legitimate options when things are getting funky with our top 6.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
If you think Stafford has no value, you're being extremely short-sighted and naive.

Stafford still has 2 years left, so there should not have been any urgency to move him at the deadline. He is also likely to get more interest in the summer, only enforcing the lack of urgency.

Finally, they do need warm bodies to ice a team. Why trade away a guy like Stafford, who isn't hurting the team right now, now when you don't need to and screw your farm club even further in the process?

Hellinator

Mar 30, 2013
Buffalo
This a tough one for me. Great value of the guys he did trade but Stafford still being here is complete fail. He serves no purpose on the team. What was his value supposed to be being scratched for games and demoted to 4th line duty some nights? On the morning of the deadline wgr reported trades were heating up on Stafford that 3-4 teams were interested and the fact that nothing came of them is one persons fault. Waiting till summer is not going to increase his value. Players value is more at the deadline and draft picks are worth more at the draft when player values go down. With Millers and TV's contracts I can understand why teams have to adjust their roster in the off season to accommodate but Stafford's contract was not outrageous. That was why teams were interested. C+

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

Maybe so - although Hamilton said several media members in other cities told him that some teams think the Sabres messed Stafford up and that, in a new setting, he can become a regular 25-30 goal scorer.

If that's true - along with the reports from TSN that 4-5 teams were interested in Stafford - then I think there's a good chance Regier will be able to unload him on someone for either a decent prospect or high draft pick.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Maybe so - although Hamilton said several media members in other cities told him that some teams think the Sabres messed Stafford up and that, in a new setting, he can become a regular 25-30 goal scorer.

If that's true - along with the reports from TSN that 4-5 teams were interested in Stafford - then I think there's a good chance Regier will be able to unload him on someone for either a decent prospect or high draft pick.

Yeah, I don't think he's going without it being a hockey deal. He looks like he could be a good fit for the 'Peg opposite Kane, certainly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->