News Article: Sabres Core

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
If we're picking 7 current players:

Reinhart
Girgensons
Grigorenko (think he might prove all the doubters wrong)
Ristolainen
Zadorov
McCabe
Pysyk

Plus BUF and NYI 1st-round pick. Can't list one without the other - for all we know, the NYI pick might wind up being higher than our own. Especially considering the adjusted lottery odds.

ZeroPT*

Reinhart
Girgensons
Ristolainen
Myers

Maybe Zadorov, MAYBE.

Those 4 will be our core guys IMO. Add our 2015 1st and we have 5 pieces to build around.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Right now?

Moulson
Ennis
Girgensons
Myers
Gorges
Maybe Hodgson because of contract, but he appeared to be on the periphery of the new regime

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Reinhart, Girgensons, Ristolainen, Myers, Ennis, Hodgson and the 2015 1st rounder... You look at the 6 current and it seems pretty good except Center depth, currently. You add a good young C at the draft and it looks a lot better, IMO.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
As of right now I see the main core of the team as...

Moulson, Reinhart, Hodgson, Girgensons, Ristolainen, Myers and Ennis

In the future with the old guys out and trades I see something like..

Reinhart, Grigorenko (If he pans out), Ristolainen, 2015 first and Girgensons

Still really too early to tell like Jame said but as for me; my own personal core I would find 2 centers and 2 defensive pairs and pay them handsomely while just building around them plugging in wingers and stay at home defensemen when needed.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I actually wanted Moulson in the core, but limited to 7 players. Moulson to me is pretty important and can/should be included in said core.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I think with our perceived "Stanley Cup Contending Cup Core" will consist of:
Reinhart
2015 1st Round Pick
Girgensons
Risto
Zadorov
Ullmark
Pysyk

Honorable Mention:
Baptiste(if he keeps his development up)
Fasching
Compher

ZeroPT*

I suspect Fasching and Compher will be those guys that aren't core guys but that are basically core guys. Super complimentary pieces.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
A poster once said that Hodgson would be our Sharp if all works out and we wind up like Chicago. I happen to agree. He has a place on this team.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
A poster once said that Hodgson would be our Sharp if all works out and we wind up like Chicago. I happen to agree. He has a place on this team.

I think if we have the luxury we should put him on a wing unless he gets better at faceoffs. That would be great, and I also think CoHo has a place here. I don't want him gone.

ZeroPT*

I don't consider Sharp to be a core piece for Chicago so if Hodgson becomes sharp he would be complimentary.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I may be in the minority, but a "core" piece is one in which a GM wants as part of his team no matter what the reasonable offer is. Darcy had core pieces he tried to win a championship with. It didn't work. As the 2014-15 season approaches, I honestly don't think any player on the roster or in the organization has proven themselves to be a must have core piece yet. I think Murray views everyone as trade bait. Some more than others. But I think if the right reasonable offer comes along, and Murray views it as a move to better the team, he strongly considers it or even pulls the trigger. I know he's mentioned a few players by name as guys he likes on the team, but I don't buy for one second, that it translates to Murray thinking they are untouchable and a "core" piece for the team going forward. I hope a few prospects rise to the top and become a core piece for a championship winning team. At this point it's all hopes and dreams. :dunno:

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I don't consider Sharp to be a core piece for Chicago so if Hodgson becomes sharp he would be complimentary.
I don't either; I see Toews, Kane, Hossa, Seabrook and Keith as the core and everyone else can be cycled for cap reasons.

I may be in the minority, but a "core" piece is one in which a GM wants as part of his team no matter what the reasonable offer is. Darcy had core pieces he tried to win a championship with. It didn't work. As the 2014-15 season approaches, I honestly don't think any player on the roster or in the organization has proven themselves to be a must have core piece yet. I think Murray views everyone as trade bait. Some more than others. But I think if the right reasonable offer comes along, and Murray views it as a move to better the team, he strongly considers it or even pulls the trigger. I know he's mentioned a few players by name as guys he likes on the team, but I don't buy for one second, that it translates to Murray thinking they are untouchable and a "core" piece for the team going forward. I hope a few prospects rise to the top and become a core piece for a championship winning team. At this point it's all hopes and dreams. :dunno:
I agree; I think Ristolainen and Girgensons are getting there though and we will know after this season if Girgensons steps up with a 40 point year and Ristolainen makes the team and dominants with his size. I'd be ecstatic with Girgensons as a star 3rd line center hitting 50-60 points consistantly but I'd be happy with 40 consistently as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad