Sabres concessions. New pricing schemes.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Not sure how many of you go to games in person but I have season tickets.

The arena might have have the worst selection of any major league sports facility I have been in. There is literally so little available and most of it subpar even by arena standards. Pricing seems mid to high by arena standards -- certainly not cheap.

This brings me to a new scheme I witnessed during preseason. Unclear whether this will continue or it is a trial.

The Sabres seem to be demanding you buy "extras" with everything. I wanted a pretzel (usually $5) and was told it only comes with cheese and is $6.25 now. I don't even know who gets cheese on pretzel but cashier said she could only ring it in as $6.25 even without the cheese.

I wanted a hot dog and was told I had to get it with fries for $7.75. My friend wanted a fried bologna sandwich (I will give you that may be a Buffalo original considering it's 2018) and was told he needed to get chips and would be charged for them. I don't know the price difference for his order.

I have no idea how prevalent this upsizing is at the arena.

Has anyone else noticed this? I'm pretty angry about it. Team sucks, give me some variety in snacks at a decent price.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
New
You are talking about club level aren't you? I agree with you but I gotta tell you believe it or not, the fried bologna sandwich is probably the best tasting food around the Harbor Club. The best value may very well be the jumbo Sahlens dog and the old style fries which are enough for two or even three people. Somethings wrong when a fried bologna sandwich or hot dog are the best things they have going for them lol. The cheese for the pretzel is in a cup for dipping not on your pretzel. If you sit down at the tables to eat occasionally they do offer a special that is good. But usually, not.​

Last edited:

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
You are talking about club level aren't you? I agree with you but I gotta tell you believe it or not, the fried bologna sandwich is probably the best tasting food around the Harbor Club. The best value may very well be the jumbo Sahlens dog and the old style fries which are enough for two or even three people. Somethings wrong when a fried bologna sandwich or hot dog are the best things they have going for them lol. The cheese for the pretzel is in a cup for dipping not on your pretzel. If you sit down at the tables to eat occasionally they do offer a special that is good. But usually, not.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Invest in club seats at 2nd level...

You try and resell those with your money.
200 is more than 100 and returns less on stubhub.
I have seats in row 1 on 300 level at blue, that's essentially why I'm sticking it out.
These were prices on 300 level.
And Bologna is very good in a disgusting way. My vent was the forced chips. The beef on wick should be better but at least it's available.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
You try and resell those with your money.
200 is more than 100 and returns less on stubhub.
I have seats in row 1 on 300 level at blue, that's essentially why I'm sticking it out.
These were prices on 300 level.
And Bologna is very good in a disgusting way. My vent was the forced chips. The beef on wick should be better but at least it's available.

Funny I thought you were talking club level. Well my points stand even though I got them on here twice and cant delete one of them. Weird. Oh and the beef is not edible. You take one bite and drag all of it off the roll at one time. Not worth buying.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Are you the guy that's suing McDonald's over unwanted cheese?
McDonald's Sued for $5M Over 2 Slices of Cheese
Newser) – They didn't want cheese on their Quarter Pounders. They claim they had to pay for it anyway—a cost of up to $1—and now want $5 million for the trouble. That's according to a new lawsuit filed by two Florida residents against McDonald's, which should be used to such fights by now. It came after Leonard Werner says he realized McDonald's was repeatedly charging him for a Quarter Pounder with Cheese, but giving him a cheese-less sandwich, as he requested. "I started talking with some lawyer friends, saying, 'What's the deal? They can charge for something I didn't get?' It's not right," Werner says, per the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. According to Werner, McDonald's restaurant menus no longer feature a cheese-less Quarter Pounder, but its app menu does, at a reduced cost of 30 cents to $1.

Reactions: sufferer

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
Vent at Jeremy Jacobs. Delaware North has the concessions contract.

True. I heard rumblings last year that Pegulas were thinking of getting rid of Delaware North at the arena.
I don't believe that though. Jacobs does the Ralph and the arena. And 716 too maybe? Jacobs is also willing to invest a large sum of money to build a stadium/arena here in his hometown! so I dismiss the rumor of Pegs thinking of getting rid of Delaware North as, fake news. But I did hear it several times last year.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I’m a STH too in the 300’s and I know as STH’s we are getting “discounts” at the concession stands when we buy the grub :thumbu:

That’s nice. Still crazy expensive, but nice. Helps the SabreBucks stretch farther.

I haven’t bought a thing from the concessions yet, so I can’t attest to the forced add-ons crap they are pulling.

I wish they had even more local foods. I mean, they have quite a bit, but it wish they could offer more like Mighty Taco, Chefs spaghetti parm, and some great local sub shop or something.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Only speculation but maybe they have to up price food for preseason etc to justify paying staff to provide somewhat the same services? During a regular game they can deep fry chips and fries and not lose out on money because they will eventually sell, during lower attendance they tey to maximize profit? Just a guess I know nothing in actuality.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Sigh...... (last time I held seasons. Yes, I'm old.
DSC00228.jpg

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Vent at Jeremy Jacobs. Delaware North has the concessions contract.

When I sold concessions at Darien Lake's concert venue, we were told that the venue sets the prices and not the concession vendor.

We were told to tell customers that when they complained about the prices.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
When I sold concessions at Darien Lake's concert venue, we were told that the venue sets the prices and not the concession vendor.

We were told to tell customers that when they complained about the prices.
Either could have been true. Were you told that by the venue operator, or the concession vendor?

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
$16 a 24oz can of beer at Amalie Arena when I went to the Lightning - Panthers game Tuesday. At least they had Labatt's Blue. But that is $3 worse than the worst price I've ever seen, and that was the worst price before that. It's insanity.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
So I assume their instruction to you may have been truthful, or it may have been a lie to protect their image.
My understanding is the team sets the prices.

I heard rumors of a change to how pricing works for the season (and not related to what OP says), but haven't seen any announcements or anything official yet. Will be interested to see if it's true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->