Confirmed with Link: Sabres claim Remi Elie off of waivers

WpgBuffan

Jun 9, 2008
Ryan Stimson did an Athletic article on the summer talking about some under the radar pick ups that Buffalo should make. Elite was one of the guys who he talked about.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Ryan Stimson did an Athletic article on the summer talking about some under the radar pick ups that Buffalo should make. Elite was one of the guys who he talked about.

I found the Stimson article. I think it might have been his first for The Athletic:

How a calculated risk could improve the Sabres’...

That brings us to Remi Elie. He had his first full season with the Dallas Stars in 2017–2018. His most common linemates were Brett Ritchie, Jason Spezza, Devin Shore and Martin Hanzal. Definitely some better players in there than Nick Shore, but you have to be able to produce with good players. Not everyone can be carried. Just ask the Edmonton Oilers and Milan Lucic about that.

Then he talked about how we could pry him out possibly with a trade, and then posted a link to another article he wrote when Elie played with McDavid with the Otters. Elie had a better Corsi than everyone on the team, including runner up McDavid, so take that for what it's worth.

The 2015 OHL Final Part Three: Erie Otters and Oshawa Generals Passing Data

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
I like this turning over players at the bottom of the roster thing most from a team culture standpoint. Baptiste seems like a great guy, but even if Elie is a Baptiste clone it's worth something that Elie doesn't have the years of finishing in last place or near last place as his only NHL experience

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I'm excited for this minor pick up. He's a guy with something to prove. I like the highlights I've seen when tempering my expectations for a 4th liner.

SabresFan15

Feb 1, 2010
North Chili, NY
Why do you want Smith Nylander or Oloffson playing 4th line minutes for the Sabres? They need to be playing offensive minutes on top lines at this point.

This is more about Girgs and Larsson. Elie is a 4th line replacement for Wilson at this point but when Larsson gets back it will be interesting to see what they do on that 4th line.

YES! Nylander, Smith, and Oloffson need to play top line minutes, and PP in Rochester to become the best versions of what we all want them to become once they get to Buffalo! I would much rather them start the year in Roch getting 20 minutes a night than starting in Buffalo playing 9 minutes.

Reactions: Mitts888

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Lemi Elie

Lemi Winks?

maxresdefault.jpg
First you have to pass the Housley king
Remi Winks

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Liked his play vs. Rangers. Physical, but controlled. Good hustle on PK when Sabres were defending lead. Didn't see any egregious mistakes (doesn't mean he didn't make any), didn't see any errors of omission (didn't mean he didn't have opportunities he didn't seize).

Definitely a different skill set than Wilson.

Will be interesting to see what happens when Wilson, Larsson, (Sobotka) heal.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
What do people think of him vs Girgensons as far as a roster spot goes? I could see them eventually competing for the same spot (unless I’m mistaken)

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
What do people think of him vs Girgensons as far as a roster spot goes? I could see them eventually competing for the same spot (unless I’m mistaken)
Girgensons has too much speed (which was evident at times vs. NYR) to be fired into the sun. Remi Elie is way more of a 12th-13th forward than Girgensons is, IMO.

I need to see more of a healthy Sobotka, but I would think in terms of value, Girgensons, Wilson, and Elie, are more valuable to the Sabres future on the left side than Sobotka.

I'd take any of the 4 above swapped to the right side over Pominville, in terms of Sabres moving forward / progressing.

Right now, Elie is the placeholder until Wilson returns.

Reactions: Freeeeedom

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
Girgensons has too much speed (which was evident at times vs. NYR) to be fired into the sun. Remi Elie is way more of a 12th-13th forward than Girgensons is, IMO.

I need to see more of a healthy Sobotka, but I would think in terms of value, Girgensons, Wilson, and Elie, are more valuable to the Sabres future on the left side than Sobotka.

I'd take any of the 4 above swapped to the right side over Pominville, in terms of Sabres moving forward / progressing.

Right now, Elie is the placeholder until Wilson returns.
Under the category of kicking tires, Girgensons, Wilson and Elie is actually I line I'd like to see later this year.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Why was Elie so useless for the Sabres? Was there something specific about Housley's system that he couldn't do? He's been fine everywhere else he's played.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Why was Elie so useless for the Sabres? Was there something specific about Housley's system that he couldn't do? He's been fine everywhere else he's played.
What do you mean by he's been fine everywhere else he's played? He's mostly been a career AHLer with one full NHL year last season with Dallas. He's just not good enough to produce at this level, even as a 4th liner.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
He’s a one-trick pony at the NHL level. If you combined him and Linus Omark you might actually get a competent NHL talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad