Confirmed with Link: Sabres claim Remi Elie off of waivers

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
This is why they claimed him. He's not a smurf. The Sabres need to become a more physical team.

The crowd that said botterill made the team worse by trading away folignos physicality for scandella should be happy to finally have a replacement

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
The crowd that said botterill made the team worse by trading away folignos physicality for scandella should be happy to finally have a replacement

Yep, I like the move, even it was 1 year later...But hey, we got ONE guy so Botts doesn't need to look for any more.

But my complaints were valid based on the information I had at the time.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
So is this kid basically our new Patrick Kaleta? We'll see a lot of him on the Carubba Collision but not as much on the scoresheet?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
No idea how he’s been the last few years, I remember him having a ton of speed with London.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Not really sure where Elie fits beyond “generic injury replacement.”

I like his speed and intensity, but his individual production is meh and he doesn’t do much at either end. This would have been a great claim in either of the past couple seasons on skating alone, but now our bottom six is a bunch of sheltered scoring players who need specific complimentary skill sets.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Patrick Kaleta was a goon who made many bad decisions.

I hope this guy is not alike.

I guess I am different when I see Kaleta as I am not "hes a Buffalo boy" love with him but he wasn't a very good hockey player. He could kill penalties but so can many other players who add more than just that.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
That was my thought as well, but it was summarily rejected above without explanation. I'd be interested to hear what sets him apart positively or negatively.
Kaleta's calling card was reckless hitting which has no place in the league in its current form. I can see both as guys who would put their body on the line for the team and play every shift at 100mph but with little impact on the game as a whole.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about Elie racking up suspensions with dirty hits or playing recklessly.

Buffalo did their homework here I'm sure, and were likely just as surprised as any to find him on the waiver wire.

Sucks to see him lose a numbers game in Dallas but that's the nature of the business I guess.

Now that he's got a chip or two on his shoulder, there's some added motivation to step him and prove the doubters wrong.

Reactions: Dingo44

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Some of these responses took way more time than the 5 seconds it would have taken to do some research and see that he and Kaleta have nothing in common as players.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Does this guy like to hit? At least more than Wilson?

Going by the NHL.com hits stats, Wilson had 1.9 hits per game last season and Elie had 1.4 hits per game.

Elie also has never had a fight in an NHL regular season game. He has one in an NHL preseason game, 2 in AHL regular season games, and two in the OHL.

So, it wouldn't appear that he is as willing to drop the mitts as Foligno was.

I think he will be a replacement level guy for Wilson while he recovers from surgery and that is about it.

Tim14125

Sep 23, 2018
Doesn't really add much grit to our soft bottom six then? Where's Adam Mair when you need him.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
That was my thought as well, but it was summarily rejected above without explanation. I'd be interested to hear what sets him apart positively or negatively.

18 PIM in 70 games does not a Patrick Kaleta make =]

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
He and Krys Barch have done a tremendous job the past few seasons. Eric Cornel scored 4 more points last year than the season before... in SIX LESS GAMES. And we converted 4th round pick Hudson Fasching into 3rd round pick Brandon Hickey. #69 overall Baptiste into #51 overall Dougherty. Incredible!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad