Proposal: Sabres(buffalo) media personality rankings.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
John Buccigross's Twitter profile reads 'Under Contract Until 7/17' - I'd love to get a nationally known guy like him to succeed RJ. I think he wants to do hockey, it's his passion. He's a big Eichel guy.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
John Buccigross's Twitter profile reads 'Under Contract Until 7/17' - I'd love to get a nationally known guy like him to succeed RJ. I think he wants to do hockey, it's his passion. He's a big Eichel guy.

Is he that good of a PXP guy though? I want quality, not "big name in the sport". Unless that goes hand in hand of course.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Is he that good of a PXP guy though? I want quality, not "big name in the sport". Unless that goes hand in hand of course.

I've only heard him do the Frozen Four - he was good, better than Dunleavy. I follow him on Twitter, I definitely get the feeling he will leave ESPN for a hockey job at some point.

He's doing some of the World Cup games, he says it's a top 3 accomplishment in his career.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
What does everybody think of Nate Geary? Seems like WGR is grooming him for big things.

Went to high school with him, good kid, but I'm not really a fan of his takes on the Sabres. i think he does alright on the bills though.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
What does everybody think of Nate Geary? Seems like WGR is grooming him for big things.

Went to high school with him, good kid, but I'm not really a fan of his takes on the Sabres. i think he does alright on the bills though.

Heh, you call someone a kid who attended high school with you.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Once the Sabres are a powerhouse in a couple years, I'd love to get Gary Thorne to come back to the NHL. I think he's announcing baseball in Baltimore, and some WWE gig.

Last edited:

RocSabres

Jul 21, 2014
How is Kevin O. in Rochester? He seems like a reporter who is pretty well respected around the league and knows the organization extremely well. I've seen Mckenzie retweet him which I think says something about his pedigree and his insider information when it came to breaking news stories and separating rumors, something the Buffalo reports don't seem to have a grip on. Just thought it was neat that Mckenzie would retweet a Sabres farm teams reporter and never retweet an actual Sabres reporter. I think it shows that the Buffalo media isn't really respected nationally.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
How is Kevin O. in Rochester? He seems like a reporter who is pretty well respected around the league and knows the organization extremely well. I've seen Mckenzie retweet him which I think says something about his pedigree and his insider information when it came to breaking news stories and separating rumors, something the Buffalo reports don't seem to have a grip on. Just thought it was neat that Mckenzie would retweet a Sabres farm teams reporter and never retweet an actual Sabres reporter. I think it shows that the Buffalo media isn't really respected nationally.

He's ok, just not at the level of Harrington/Sullivan/Gleason and never will be unless he sheds the humanity that he still has left in him.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Once the Sabres are a powerhouse in a couple years, I'd love to get Gary Thorne to come back to the NHL. I think he's announcing baseball in Baltimore, and some WWE gig.

Gary Thorne has gone on record as saying that his Orioles job is the only one he'll ever want. So no more hockey for him. Yes, he was great at it. Yes, nostalgia is great. No, Gary will never broadcast the NHL again.

JOVIS*

I like Jerry Sullivan's stuff. yes he is super cynical and seems to get off on being standoffish, but the writing is good. I was neighbors w Jay Skurski (he used to school me in basketball) for a couple years so I hold out hope for him.

Schopp (and to lesser extent BD) are the worst thing in Buffalo sports media by a country mile. Anyone who is actually good leaves for greener pastures it seems... most recent example being Matthew Coller. living in the New England market i hear a lot of talented on air personalities. Have never anywhere in the country heard a show remotely as bizarre & bad as Schopp & BD. Basically just 4 hours of self aggrandizing, lamenting their age, stupid little esoteric jokes, and a general venting of them about their lives. Lots of talk on their season tickets, cabins in Canada, et al.... very little worthwhile sports takes.

Oh, and even though he's a Sabres schill, i think Andrew Peters has the charisma to make a nice career for himself in the media. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad