Sabres botched alumni jerseys

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
giphy.gif

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
The gong show.

Seriously, if I f***ed that up I'd fire myself.

This shit wouldn't be nearly as embarrassing if they just could win a couple seasons

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Wasting time on menial things like spelling names correctly takes time and focus off of perfecting “ The Plan” so I have no problem with this.:naughty:

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
This is an organizational issue from the top down. They literally don’t care about anything. Everything is half assed. Where is the leadership? And this is probably something that’s above the hockey department. This is a fan engagement issue.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I remember when Kim and Terry basically scoffed at the idea that fan service mattered because "no one will pay attention to that stuff once we're winning."

Rigas cared more about this team when he was in jail than those two idiots have in years. At this point, the Sabres are basically a marketing vehicle for #OneBuffalo and their kids' grifting first and a hockey franchise as a far distant second

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I remember when Kim and Terry basically scoffed at the idea that fan service mattered because "no one will pay attention to that stuff once we're winning."

Rigas cared more about this team when he was in jail than those two idiots have in years. At this point, the Sabres are basically a marketing vehicle for #OneBuffalo and their kids' grifting first and a hockey franchise as a far distant second

An example of this is having the Bills segment in the intermissions of Sabre games. I could care less about the Bills. In my lifetime, they have had one stretch of being consistently good and the rest had been almost 40 bad years and a few tiny blips of wildcard “achievement”. And Wilson burned my fandom to the ground.

Terry is close to doing that with the Sabres. I am enjoying watching the Jackets, the Hurricanes, and the Wild. Who knew the game could be fun to watch? Rewarding ones time?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
In my head, I immediately equate it to RJ referring to Lorenzo Alexander’s son as his daughter on the broadcast last year.

To put the feed on TV, showing the parent and child, and not ensure the announcer is properly prepped, is embarrassingly incompetent.

I hate this shit. Probably more than I should. But most of the events this season have underwhelmed me as an out of town fan, and the broadcast as a whole has been minor league forever.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
There's a lot right in this piece, and it's just depressing.

I know 1st hand how passionate Terry and his family are about this community and these teams. But I just can't believe how consistent this organization is at messing up even the most simple things.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY

Just like they scoffed at the idea of hiring a Director of Hockey Ops. We first had to suffer their inexperience, and now we suffer their indifference.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
An example of this is having the Bills segment in the intermissions of Sabre games. I could care less about the Bills. In my lifetime, they have had one stretch of being consistently good and the rest had been almost 40 bad years and a few tiny blips of wildcard “achievement”. And Wilson burned my fandom to the ground.

Terry is close to doing that with the Sabres. I am enjoying watching the Jackets, the Hurricanes, and the Wild. Who knew the game could be fun to watch? Rewarding ones time?

As a local fan, going beyond the poor quality of the team itself, the fact that the KBC is still largely an outdated dump is a massive indictment on a guy who made a big deal of being willing to spend money for top-end experiences.

Off the top of my head, one would have thought the following could be accomplished pretty easily in 9 years of ownership, and wouldn't require much from said owner beyond $:
-Get high-quality concessions at much more reasonable prices
-Repaint/modernize the floors--it seems like the fake green turf look hasn't been updated from the 90s.
-New seats/cup holders
-Hot water in bathrooms/other updated facilities
-More and better giveaways and other fan experiences

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
Who was in charge of this? The person has to be totally clueless. There wasn't one person in the chain of command that didn't notice that one alumni who has been consistently involved with the orgnization for the last 50 years and another who was one of the most recognizable faces and names of the late 80's early 90's, names were spelled wrong on the jerseys? Is there anyone within the managment of the team that was actually a Sabres fan growing up? How long were they preparing for this? These kind of things, just like the concession problems make it clear that the on ice wows are a systemic problem coming from the top down.

This organization desperatley needs someone with experience to step in and take the reigns. The Sabes are like a restaurant, where the owner is totally hands off but also totally oblivious that the management does not have the experience and organization to make things run smoothly. Terrible managers that don't lay out a clear directive to their employees and then you end up with chaos.

I hate to say this, but this team could use Larry Quinn right now to run the non on ice related business aspects of the organization. Then they need a President of Hockey Operations that has final say on all draft picks and trades. They aren't there to do the grunt work but if the GM comes and says I'm trading O'Reilly for 2 cap dumps, a 1st and a C+ prospect, he can be overruled.

Thank God Pegula stumbled into McDerrmott and Beane because they know what they are doing. We as fans need to give them all the slack in the world, because if they stumble for a couple years and were to get fired, who knows what buffoons the Pegula's will bring in next.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kirby11

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Do you want to know what the Pegula Sabres ownership reminds me of: The Bengals under Mike Brown. Incompetent, low rent and bush league in every possible sense. The biggest indictment on them as owners is simple: you can't control/guarantee outcomes on the ice, but you absolutely CAN control the stuff off the ice. You can improve the game day experience, broadcast quality and customer service quite easily but they clearly don't give a flying fig about any of that. A perfect example: you could pick any fan out of the stands to come up with promotions and ways to celebrate the 50th anniversary and they would've done a million times better job. For example here's one idea I have advocated for: Taro Tsujimoto Bobblehead Night. If they did that it would blow up social media in a positive way (a first for this organization) and get the type of publicity and good press teams would kill for. But they can't and won't be bothered.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA

I've got one foot outside this organization already.... wouldn't take much more bullshit to make a complete break of it.
Yeah, I know; I'm no longer a local; maybe that kind of makes it easier. The Caps are only 90 minutes up the road...

Reactions: Chainshot

dugman

Mar 21, 2008
I find it amusing that we have a Jason Botterill thread, part 5, which has Botterill misspelled. The We Can Do Better thread grows dusty with neglect.

Member 308457

:baghead:Kim please step down. You are not a hockey executive -- please just stick to your arugula salad. :baghead:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad