Sabres atop NHL sales charts

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Winning, exciting team and a brand new jersey. The new jersey factor has to be considered as I believe the Flames led in jersey sales in 04 when they came out with new ones. While Buffalo is small, there is still plenty of transplants all over the place (can you blame them?) along with lots of people just across the border.

Not only did the Flames lead that season, by the playoffs, CCM had to dedicate an entire factory exclusively to making red Flames jerseys. The novelty factor is playing a huge role in the Sabres sales, but I really didn't think that that many people would like anything so hideous.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
Seeing one of them in orange and black will make it even worse, Biron is working on it. :D

I know... if they leave via FA I really don't want to boo them when they return, but if they sign with Philly I think I'll have to:D

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
Arent they all going to feel cheated when the jerseys change for next season?

I don't think a slightly tighter fit is going to make people feel cheated.

It's not surprising considering 80% of Buffalo's fanbase is probably Canadian, being on the border and all. So it's really not that big of a feat for a "small town team".

If if was sales in each franchise's own city and only their own city, then it would be a different story. Crosby definitely wouldn't be first that's for sure. Everyone just wants "The Next One's" jersey. Has nothing to do with Pittsburgh.

pcnorth22

Aug 4, 2006
A) No they don't almost sell out.

B) Keep the excuses coming, they are good for a laugh.

the bills get a bad rap for last years attendance...because we were the only team to not sell out every game...but that was one year...

we sold out every game for the previouse three or 4 seasons...

last year was the first year that phoenix sould out games...all due to a new stadium...

believe me...you're wrong if you think buffalo fans are bandwagoners...there may be some...but generally, the town is crazy for the sabres and the bills...

pcnorth22

Aug 4, 2006
It's not surprising considering 80% of Buffalo's fanbase is probably Canadian, being on the border and all. So it's really not that big of a feat for a "small town team".

its not even close to 80%...most people across the bridge still root for the leafs...

sure we have a lot of sabres season ticket holders from ontario...but US customers account for way more than 20% of sales...its probably 80/20 the other way...

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
its not even close to 80%...most people across the bridge still root for the leafs...

sure we have a lot of sabres season ticket holders from ontario...but US customers account for way more than 20% of sales...its probably 80/20 the other way...

It's just estimates of course, but general speculation is 20-30% of the fans at any given game are from Canada...

the highest estimate I've seen that I can prove is 40%

According to Schumer’s office, typical Canadian attendance for Sabres games is 20 percent, but for the playoffs against the Ottawa Senators, officials are expecting 40 percent, which would be 7000 people. Most nights there are 6-8 car lanes open on the Peace Bridge. Schumer today called on Customs to open all 16 lanes for each night of the playoff games.

http://www.senate.gov/~schumer/SchumerWebsite/pressroom/record.cfm?id=259549

As it turned out there were hardly any Ottawa fans at the games so my guess is it got to 25%-30% tops.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
the bills get a bad rap for last years attendance...because we were the only team to not sell out every game...but that was one year...

we sold out every game for the previouse three or 4 seasons...

You are ridiculous. Did you even look at the link I provided? It goes back to the 2001 season and not once did the Buffalo Bills sell out their entire schedule. Do you enjoy making stuff up in your spare time?

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
You are ridiculous. Did you even look at the link I provided? It goes back to the 2001 season and not once did the Buffalo Bills sell out their entire schedule. Do you enjoy making stuff up in your spare time?

You showed a link of actual attendance... that not everyone showed up doesn't prove it wasn't a sellout.

Take a look at the Bills first two home games and their attendance. Both were sellouts, but since NFL (well Bills at least, so I assume NFL) announces actual attendance they are different.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=260924002 vs. the Jets 72,067

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=261001002 vs. the Vikings 71,972

But hey, don't let facts get in the way of a good argument. You didn't when you argued teams not filling in smaller stadiums had lower attendance because of not enough seats.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
Bar codes. Merchandising does imply an officially licensed product. That's why all the team logos, names and the 'NHL' letters and symbol are.... trademarked.

Any idea if it count as an officially liscensed product when someone buys a blank jersey and then gets it lettered elsewhere?

I bet it has something to do with Buffalo's kickass retro 3rd jersey :)

I want one still.

I'll never understand why or how those are our most popular jersey... but then I was one of the few who loved our current logo from the minute I saw it.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
You showed a link of actual attendance... that not everyone showed up doesn't prove it wasn't a sellout.

Take a look at the Bills first two home games and their attendance. Both were sellouts, but since NFL (well Bills at least, so I assume NFL) announces actual attendance they are different.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=260924002 vs. the Jets 72,067

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=261001002 vs. the Vikings 71,972

But hey, don't let facts get in the way of a good argument. You didn't when you argued teams not filling in smaller stadiums had lower attendance because of not enough seats.

You do know that the NFL counts actual tickets sold? Wether or not people show up has no barring on attendance figures. Buffalo could sell 76,000 tickets and have 1 person show up and it would still be considered a sell out.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
You do know that the NFL counts actual tickets sold? Wether or not people show up has no barring on attendance figures. Buffalo could sell 76,000 tickets and have 1 person show up and it would still be considered a sell out.

I'm well aware of that... and as soon as you show something that says the Bills haven't sold out all 8 games since 2001 that might be worth something. As of now the only link you've sent is of attendance, not sell outs.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
I don't get what you are trying to say? In the link I provided, it shows attendance and the next number over which says 84.5, is the percentage of how full the stadium is. Please explain to me if we are talking about something completely different? I truely don't know and I'm not trying to be an @ss.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
I don't get what you are trying to say? In the link I provided, it shows attendance and the next number over which says 84.5, is the percentage of how full the stadium is. Please explain to me if we are talking about something completely different? I truely don't know and I'm not trying to be an @ss.

You said in this thread that...

I'm telling you that the link you showed doesn't show that the Bills haven't sold out their entire schedule since 2001 and just shows the attendance... you keep going on about how the Bills can't sell out but can't back it up. Prior to our first non sellout this season (when, according to your own link, we still had more fans show up then at least 4 playoff teams who couldn't fill all their seats) we had sold out 24 of 25 games, with the 1 being a late October game against the Cardinals, not exactly a top draw.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
What the hell are you talking about? The link I provided shows average attendance for the entire YEAR, not just one game. When Buffalo averages 67,646 fans a game (over their 8 game season) in a 76,000 seat stadium, I don't the sell outs you do. Maybe they sold out 1 or 2 games this past year, but nowhere near the numbers you claim.

Also, there is no way Buffalo, before this year had 24 of 25 games sell out. I'll give you a rundown for the Bills average attendance (over their 8 game season) since 2001. Remeber Ralph Wilson Stadium seats 76,000 fans.

2001 - Average of 63,092 fans a game for 78.8% of Capacity
2002 - Average of 68,462 fans a game for 85.6% of Capacity
2003 - Average of 73,015 fans a game for 91.2% of Capacity
2004 - Average of 71,799 fans a game for 89.7% of Capacity
2005 - Average of 71,906 fans a game for 89.9% of Capacity
2006 - Average of 67,646 fans a game for 84.5% of Capacity

How can they sell out 24 of 25 games yet they come nowhere close to filling Ralph Wilson Stadium to capacity?

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
What the hell are you talking about? The link I provided shows average attendance for the entire YEAR, not just one game. When Buffalo averages 67,646 fans a game (over their 8 game season) in a 76,000 seat stadium, I don't the sell outs you do. Maybe they sold out 1 or 2 games this past year, but nowhere near the numbers you claim.

Also, there is no way Buffalo, before this year had 24 of 25 games sell out. I'll give you a rundown for the Bills average attendance (over their 8 game season) since 2001. Remeber Ralph Wilson Stadium seats 76,000 fans.

2001 - Average of 63,092 fans a game for 78.8% of Capacity
2002 - Average of 68,462 fans a game for 85.6% of Capacity
2003 - Average of 73,015 fans a game for 91.2% of Capacity
2004 - Average of 71,799 fans a game for 89.7% of Capacity
2005 - Average of 71,906 fans a game for 89.9% of Capacity
2006 - Average of 67,646 fans a game for 84.5% of Capacity

How can they sell out 24 of 25 games yet they come nowhere close to filling Ralph Wilson Stadium to capacity?

Again, the Bills issue out their numbers based on actual attendance, not tickets sold. You can post those attendance numbers all you want, but they don't prove anything about sellouts.

We only sold out 4 of the 8 games this year, that I'll grant, but one of the non sellouts was christmas eve when there were quite a few markets that didn't sell out because of it being christmas eve.

As for my claim of 24 of 25, you're right, I was off. I undersold it.

THURSDAY UPDATE: Roscoe Parrish and Tutan Reyes did not practice today. Matt Bowen and Melvin Fowler did practice. Coach Jauron said Bowen was the best he's looked since the injury which happened all the way back in the Carolina preseason game over two months ago.

All four of them are questionable.

Sunday's game is sold out. Nice work Bills fans. That's 26 sellouts in the last 27 games.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1&post_month=10&post_year=2006

But again, pleae feel free to ignore the fact that prior to this season the Bills had no problem selling out games on a consistent basis. This despite the fact we're the smallest market in the league that's not community owned and play in one of the biggest stadiums in the league. All this while having only two teams with longer playoff win droughts, and one of those is an expansion team. Clearly the evidence points to Buffalo being a city of frontrunners:sarcasm:

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
Geez didn't understand that my comment would cause a riot, truth be told here I myself am a Bills fan. From experience it seems that people in the Buffalo area seem to jump on and off the Bills/Sabres ship all the time.

tricksta189*

Geez didn't understand that my comment would cause a riot, truth be told here I myself am a Bills fan. From experience it seems that people in the Buffalo area seem to jump on and off the Bills/Sabres ship all the time.

that's what happens when you only have a good team once in a blue moon.

I love how this turned in to a sabre fan bashing thread too, people can't be glad the sabres have been sold out for the whole year and have the best clothing sales..they have to bring up things from the past..it's amazing!

Obviously are sales are so good because of the new jerseys, even though i can't stand them and I don't know how some people would waste money on that slug thing. But Anaheim also has new jerseys and I don't see their sells anywhere near the top. I also feel sad for all the fans that got Briere jerseys, when he might not even be here next year

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->