Sabres and the principle of sunk costs (our bad contracts)

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Okposo on the 4th line is actually not that bad. You just cant look at his salary. Also Asplund didnt really come out and earn a spot in the preseason. To me at this exact minute its at best a wash.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
If you're really desperate to get rid of him and have no scruples; tell Kyle he's our enforcer. He's a big guy and a veteran leader. It's his job to make sure no one takes liberties with our young stars. Tap him on the shoulder when there's any enforcing to be done. The Sabres play the Caps on Nov 1. Send a message to Tom Wilson.

Based off the DeAngelo encounter last season, Okposo might occassionally take it upon him self without any instruction. :help:

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

I never, and I mean never agree Harrington, but I actually agree with him here. According to most reports, KO provides a presence in the room that is sorely lacking.

His hands, skating and processing speed are certainly degrading, but he still knows where to go both with and without the puck. KO will never live up to his contract, but he has a role on this team, and it's up to the coach to get the most out of him in that role. I'm sure when frustration sets in I will completely contradict this point of view.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I never, and I mean never agree Harrington, but I actually agree with him here. According to most reports, KO provides a presence in the room that is sorely lacking.

His hands, skating and processing speed are certainly degrading, but he still knows where to go both with and without the puck. KO will never live up to his contract, but he has a role on this team, and it's up to the coach to get the most out of him in that role. I'm sure when frustration sets in I will completely contradict this point of view.

What would we ever do without Okposo’s presence?

Our playoff-less streak would be in jeopardy without him.

Reactions: Eichel9

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006

I would think the fans and their desire for entertaining, winning hockey, would trump keeping someone who no longer contributes on the ice. He still gets his money and a younger player learns the game. He should be kept only if he deserves to because of his contribution to a winning team on the ice.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

The objective HAS to be to ice the best roster possible. Everything else is secondary.

If Okposo plays himself off the team, he's gotta be off the team. It's that simple.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I would think the fans and their desire for entertaining, winning hockey, would trump keeping someone who no longer contributes on the ice. He still gets his money and a younger player learns the game. He should be kept only if he deserves to because of his contribution to a winning team on the ice.
The objective HAS to be to ice the best roster possible. Everything else is secondary.

If Okposo plays himself off the team, he's gotta be off the team. It's that simple.

I'm just going to point out that the most successful teams I've played on were almost never the most talented teams.

Despite negative on ice impacts, there's a reason a guy like Orpik was universally praised by his teammates during the Cap's cup run, or Engelland for Vegas last year.

Lastly, if KO wasn't making $6m per year, he's the exact type of guy that we would look to add from other another team - veteran, chipped in 17 ES points a year ago, is still solid defensively, and can slide up the lineup in a pinch.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

I can't think of single player with similar qualities the Sabres have signed (eg Gionta, Gorges, Moulson, Legwand, McGinn, Ott, Regehr, Rivet) that's made them better. It's made out to be a brilliant idea when they're signed and always fails miserably. Why would Okposo be any different? They prevent the young core from establishing themselves as leaders because they naturally defer to their older more experienced teammates and the coach does the same.

Would you feel the same way if you were one of the players waived or sent down to Rochester?

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Would you feel the same way if you were one of the players waived or sent down to Rochester?

If I was a young talented player and was waived to Rochester I would be pissed, it really wouldn't matter who made the team over me.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
I'm just going to point out that the most successful teams I've played on were almost never the most talented teams.

Despite negative on ice impacts, there's a reason a guy like Orpik was universally praised by his teammates during the Cap's cup run, or Engelland for Vegas last year.

Lastly, if KO wasn't making $6m per year, he's the exact type of guy that we would look to add from other another team - veteran, chipped in 17 ES points a year ago, is still solid defensively, and can slide up the lineup in a pinch.

Sadly, that's probably true. And it's never accomplished much in the past.

I can't think of single player with similar qualities the Sabres have signed (eg Gionta, Gorges, Moulson, Legwand, McGinn, Ott, Regehr, Rivet) that's made them better. It's made out to be a brilliant idea when they're signed and always fails miserably. Why would Okposo be any different? They prevent the young core from establishing themselves as leaders because they naturally defer to their older more experienced teammates and the coach does the same.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I'm curious how much people think contracts are influencing who are opening day 20.

Specifically, would Okposo really be on this team if his cap hit and salary were not $6. M? To me the question is whether we have a player we can pay $1.075 M (his cap hit if sent to minors) who is better. I say we do do.

Okposo's contract is not really as asset, it's a liability. We can amortize that comtract over a long-period with a buyout or outright be rid of that liability trading assets (players or picks.)

My point is why not think about this rationally and money spent.

I'd make the same argument for Sobotka and Scandella (if D was healthy.)

I just get keeping hearing got play him we are paying him. Why? You make a bad investment, you write it off or sell it.
I have never seen anyone post "We got to play him we are paying him." Where is that being said?

If Okposo was making 2m then people would find what he brings for the price acceptable so yes he would be on the team. Your whole premise is flawed.

Last edited by a moderator:

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

People who think waiving Okposo for any player in Rochester is going to make a difference they clearly don't watch what is going on. Its not about we pay him so we have to play him. Its about not having a better player to fill out the roster that bumps Okposo down to Rochester.

He is not a liability on the ice and is capable of around 15 goals. He plays the third line and has a presence in the locker room. If he wasn't making 6m and was making 2m he would still be on the roster.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Can I just say this: The idea that a player is "too classy" or "has gone through too much" to be demoted is absolute horseshit. Okposo has gone through a lot, but he's been paid out 25M out of his 7 year, 42M dollar deal. If he goes to the minors, he continues to get full benefits and salary. If he retires, it'll be as a wealthy man. If he continues to play, AHL or NHL, it'll be as a wealthy man. Sure, its embarrassing as a professional hockey player to be sent to the minors, but if he no longer capable of contributing at a NHL level, then he's got to go. His history has nothing to do with it. The Sabres will continue to pay him until he's retired or opt to buy him out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->