Player Discussion Jeff Skinner

Do you approve of Skinner for Pu, 2019 2, 2020 3 & 6?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
That's not really up to him. He plays the position with the least defensive responsibility, his heat map shows that his side took fewer shots than it does when other LWs were on the ice, and his actual GA was 20 goals worse than his xGA, because his goalie's save percentage when he was on the ice was .870 despite not facing high quality shots.

This isn't to claim he's good at defense, he's dreadful - luckily he plays the position where basic coaching competence can render it a nonissue.

Jeff's 5v5 goaltending was so bad that his 5v5 PDO was like 4% worse than that of...the tanking Sabres...

Not really sure what you point is. I’m not attacking him.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I don't know who to believe, truthbluth or my lyin' eyes.

DkDpwE9UUAAdTUy.jpg
While CapFriendly is often a reliable source, it is not an official one and can be (and has been) wrong. It appears to be a misinterpretation of the clause that causes NMCs/NTCs to be voided if the player is traded before they go into effect. There is no provision for NMCs/NTCs going away after they are waived.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
While CapFriendly is often a reliable source, it is not an official one and can be (and has been) wrong. It appears to be a misinterpretation of the clause that causes NMCs/NTCs to be voided if the player is traded before they go into effect. There is no provision for NMCs/NTCs going away after they are waived.

Here is the CBA section and I agree with the way DC read it vs CapFriendly:

11.8 Individually Negotiated Limitations on Player Movement.
(a) The SPC of any Player who is a Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agent under Article
10.1(a) may contain a no-Trade or a no-move clause. SPCs containing a no-Trade or a no-move
clause may be entered into prior to the time that the Player is a Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agent
so long as the SPC containing the no-Trade or no-move clause extends through and does not
become effective until the time that the Player qualifies for Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agency.
If the Player is Traded or claimed on Waivers prior to the no-Trade or no-move clause taking
effect, the clause does not bind the acquiring Club. An acquiring Club may agree to continue to
be bound by the no-Trade or no-move clause, which agreement shall be evidenced in writing to
the Player, Central Registry and the NHLPA, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereof.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I didn't think you were. I just don’t get your point relevant to my post.
Your post appeared to express a hope that he'll be on the ice for fewer goals against, and mine talked about how it appears that he had little bearing on how much worse that became last year than it had for him in previous years, with an implication that it is likely to improve organically even if he doesn't change an ounce as a player

I realize though that it sounded like I was trying to debate/contend a point you didn't make - that wasn't my intention.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Jeff Skinner is making the most of his contract year in Buffalo - TheHockeyNews

Hearing the WGR interview with Botterill yesterday has me worried that the Sabres are going to let the Skinner contract situation drag on a la how Kane was handled.....and I don't understand the hesitation to at least have some preliminary, exploratory talks to gauge how things are going from Skinner's and his agent's perspective. He clearly wanted to come to Buffalo because of Eichel and the team's potential. Skinner was great in the preseason and even after Housley's panic move halfway through Game 1 to switch him from Eichel's line (which worked well in the preseason) to one with Berglund, he still was generating scoring opportunities and one of the better forecheckers on the team. He's finally been rewarded with the stats - and while Eichel/Pominville have helped, I'd argue that Skinner has equally helped his own cause through his work ethic, skating and relentless puck pursuit. From the various accounts in interviews with his teammates and Housley, Skinner has been nothing but a positive force and influence - even Botterill mentioned it in the WGR interview about how he's inspired a greater tenacity amongst his teammates. Rob Ray raved about his focus, intensity and competitiveness. Maybe the sample size of 10 games plus camp is small but has there been any question marks surrounding Skinner thus far? Even his bad-rap for being defensively-lax seems overblown, given his possession stats and leading the team in +/-.

If you add all those to his obvious offensive talents and tremendous skating abilities, why are the Sabres even deliberating or posturing about this? With Kane, the wait-and-see approach was somewhat understandable given his off-ice issues (which likely alienated ownership) and injury history. With Skinner, I don't see any such reasons to even contemplate him as anything but a part of the team's core moving forward. He's still young at 26, clearly well-liked and a good role model for the young players. Sure, both Skinner and Botterill said after the trade that they wanted to feel each other out to see how things go but I seriously hope that by Thanksgiving, we start hearing of contract discussions taking place. If no extension is in place by the end of January, it will appear that the Sabres are again ready to sell off proven, established talent for assets and - with Botterill's track record on the Kane & O'Reilly trades - likely get pennies on the dollar in return.

Last edited:

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
Jeff Skinner is making the most of his contract year in Buffalo - TheHockeyNews

Hearing the WGR interview with Botterill yesterday has me worried that the Sabres are going to let the Skinner contract situation drag on a la how Kane was handled.....and I don't understand the hesitation to at least have exploratory talks to gauge how things are going. Skinner was great in the preseason and even after Housley's panic move halfway through Game 1 to switch Skinner from Eichel's line (which worked well in the preseason) to one with Berglund, Skinner still was generating scoring opportunities and one of the better forecheckers on the team. He's finally been rewarded - and while Eichel/Pominville have helped, I'd argue that Skinner has helped his own cause through his work ethic, skating and relentless puck pursuit. From the various accounts in interviews with his teammates and Housley, Skinner has been nothing but a positive force and influence - even Botterill mentioned it in the WGR interview about how he's inspired a greater tenacity amongst his teammates. Rob Ray raved about his focus, intensity and competitiveness.

If you add all those to his obvious offensive talents and tremendous skating abilities, why are the Sabres even deliberating or posturing about this? With Kane, the wait-and-see approach was somewhat understandable given his off-ice issues (which likely alienated ownership) and injury history. With Skinner, I don't see any such reasons to even contemplate him as anything but a part of the team's core moving forward. He's still young at 26, clearly well-liked and a good role model for the young players. Sure, both Skinner and Botterill said after the traded that they wanted to feel each other out to see how things go but I seriously hope that by Thanksgiving, we start hearing of contract discussions taking place. If no extension is in place by the end of January, it will appear that the Sabres are again ready to sell off talent for assets and - with Botterill's track record on the Kane & O'Reilly trades - likely get pennies on the dollar in return.

If they want to keep him, they will keep him and the cost will be the same whether they sign him tomorrow or after the season.

Also, contact negotiations go two ways. The other person has to want to deal too. Why would skinner want to talk right now? The sabres have been terrible for many years and Skinner has been on terrible teams his entire career. The guy has never sniffed the playoffs. You give him the playoffs this year and I think signing him will be an easy task. If the bottom falls out, who would blame him for wanting to sign with a perennial playoff team that is looking for that final piece?

Kane was never in the long term plans once TMs short cut rebuild failed. So judging how they treated him and O'Rielly (neither of which were acquired by Botts) is apples to oranges...

Reactions: kummelweck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad