Post-Game Talk: Sabres 5, Penguins 4 (OT) - WHAT THE FLYING **** WAS THAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
? I’d take a GM like Shero over a GM like Rutherford every day of the week.

giphy.gif

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Wins two cups in 3.25 years and fans want to get rid of him? That’s why fans aren’t managers.

Be careful what you wish for. He’s the most successful coach we’ve had. But sure throw him to the curb like we are some kind of circus organization.

Thank you for your continuing contributions to the board. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Reactions: EightyOne

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Why would we ever pine for Ray Shero? I'm not even gonna tear the guy down too bad at this late date but if absolutely nothing else he stuck to a giant fraud well past his expiration date. That alone will never make me look back wistfully. Thanks for the Cup that you won by riding not one but two of the greatest centers in the last several decades like mules through a literally historic playoff run and then utterly failing to support them for the rest of your time here. Best of luck in Jersey, or whatever.

Did this not happen in 16-17 with Shero’s draft pick Guentzel at the middle of the run?

And in 15-16 with Shero’s picks Murray, Rust, and Sheary front and center?

I’m not trying to take anything from JR. Like I wouldn’t from Shero bringing in Kunitz, Guerin, Hossa, Roberts, Gill, etc for the back to back in 08-09.

But, let’s be honest. Rutherford has sunk this team by rash decisions two years out of five and had his talent (including Kessel who he brought in) greatly succeed for him.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Of all of the bad takes I've seen during this losing streak, saying you'd rather have Shero than Rutherford as the GM has to take the cake. There's nothing that can possibly be worse than that one.

I thought I saw a thread earlier where the OP said we need more players like Grant...........

but I get your point

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
? I’d take a GM like Shero over a GM like Rutherford every day of the week.

I think you're forgetting some awful deal he did. Like 2 2nds for Murray, sticking with trash like Adams and Glass.

JR has 3 cups and made plenty of great moves to win us two cups.

Shero did too. But after 09 he did nothing well.

Reactions: SirBrad

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I thought I saw a thread earlier where the OP said we need more players like Grant...........

but I get your point

Saying you want more players like Grant is a hell of a lot better than saying that a GM that lucked his way into a cup based on some stupidly good play from their superstars is a better GM than a GM who rebuilt a team and won 2 cups.

What about signing Jack Johnson for 5 years?

What about Shero signing an older Rob Scuderi for 4?

Thistheexpresslane

Nov 19, 2018
Of all of the bad takes I've seen during this losing streak, saying you'd rather have Shero than Rutherford as the GM has to take the cake. There's nothing that can possibly be worse than that one. I can't even begin to explain the problems with that line of thought.
AHHHHH Don't tempt him /her

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
OK, enough with revisiting history. We have plenty to be concerned about today, let the past stay there. Back on topic, please and thank you.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think you're forgetting some awful deal he did. Like 2 2nds for Murray, sticking with trash like Adams and Glass.

Like a coach like Keenan. Rutherford is the type of short fix you want for a couple of years.

If the Pens wanted to succeed they should have bumped JR to president and made Botts GM after the back to back.

It’s 100% clear after the past two years.

Reactions: Shady Machine

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Did this not happen in 16-17 with Shero’s draft pick Guentzel at the middle of the run?

I’m not trying to take anything from JR. Like I wouldn’t from Shero bringing in Kunitz, Guerin, Hossa, Roberts, Gill, etc for the back to back in 08-09.

But, let’s be honest. Rutherford has sunk this team by rash decisions two years out of five and had his talent (including Kessel who he brought in) greatly succeed for him.

You wanna apply that standard to the first 2-3 years of Shero's tenure, because whatever you think he gifted JR, I can assure you Craig Patrick gifted him a hell of a lot more.

And for whatever good Shero did drafting at the end of his tenure, it sure as **** doesn't make up what he did preceding it.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
RIIIIGHT

hey you said I'll dial it back, Not me

45-50 point C(99% at 5v5) playing with subpar linemates, has elite possession stats, a Selke defender.

Staal at 6 mil is waaaay more than fair. When you got wingers like JVR and Kane, who don't impact the game nearly as much as Staal does, making 7 mil.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Like a coach like Keenan. Rutherford is the type of short fix you want for a couple of years.

If the Pens wanted to succeed they should have bumped JR to president and made Botts GM after the back to back.

It’s 100% clear after the past two years.

I don't necessarily disagree with that. But, that's easier said than done.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I know you're frustrated, man. Me, too. But you're more reasonable than this. Ray Shero might well be a good GM from the end of his time here at Pittsburgh onward but he proved multiple ways in the end that he was a failure, here. I even am thankful for many of the things that he did for this team but he lost the plot, eventually.

That isn't to say JR won't at some point and that isn't to say that I don't already see warning signs but pining for Ray Shero is folly. He made a handful of fatal mistakes both with his coach and at the draft table. Botching the only top ten pick this team will have until, well... likely this year not being the least.

Reactions: KIRK

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Someone was just commenting on article in the PG that “NHL insiders” were saying that the boys were really aggravated by JR trading Hags just to make a statement and implying that the current state of play was a result of that...anyone hear this or know where this comes from?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
A coaching change will make sense if you bring in a coach that can actually evaluate this roster from top to bottom and find a way to.make it work by playing to its strengths. Otherwise we're stuck in a "square peg/round hole" scenario.

That being said, I really like Sully and I'm.hoping he can find some way to turn things around.

I like Sully too and if we had a younger core JR may be able to let the team work through it. We don’t though. It’s a real short runway right now though. JR needs to stop and think about the future roster too. Be smarter.

I’d be enquiring about AV. I think he would make a good system here. Something in between the 2016 and 2017 cup runs. Also with a few moves from JR.

Not sure he’d want to jump in halfway though but it has worked for us twice previously. If he could bring in an assistant or two might be more persuasive.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
You wanna apply that standard to the first 2-3 years of Shero's tenure, because whatever you think he gifted JR, I can assure you Craig Patrick gifted him a hell of a lot more.

And for whatever good Shero did drafting at the end of his tenure, it sure as **** doesn't make up what he did preceding it.

I mean, I agree 100%. CP set the foundation.

Let’s not pretend JR didn’t come in and double down on MAF and Maatta for no reason.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005

Interestingly JR has three cups and the make up of three of those teams were very similar. Very strong forward group, unremarkable defense and a young goalie who comes up and plays solid.

Reactions: PensandCaps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad