Post-Game Talk: Sabres 5, Penguins 4 (OT) - WHAT THE FLYING **** WAS THAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Post game i went directly to google/yt to look at whats outside of Hughes to draft.
I'm pretty pumped about the suckage right now to say the least.

One thing we should all be confident in is a top five pick can actually be the best thing to happen to this franchise moving forward. And Brassard easily could get us another bottom 1st.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Shero’s Penguins were actually a consistent playoff team and even in their worst years never dipped as bad as the two ugly Rutherford teams we’ve seen which are largely because of roster make-up.

So what trophy do they award for consistently making the playoffs? I dont recall us having ever missed the post season under JR either...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
And they went to as many cup finals as Rutherford’s?

The 08 team had the second most impressive run outside of the 2012 Kings squad until they hit Detroit with a hurt Malkin.

Geno doesn't get hurt in '08, and I'm not sure we beat the Wings, but damn it would've been worth the price of admission just to see him and a healthy Datsyuk going head to head.

We missed out on it in '09 too, as Datsyuk was hurt, but when both were healthy in the few years after, it was like watching Jedi duel.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
So what trophy do they award for consistently making the playoffs? I dont recall us having ever missed the post season under JR either...

We backed into the playoffs in his first season.

We may have to do the same in his fifth.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Geno doesn't get hurt in '08, and I'm not sure we beat the Wings, but damn it would've been worth the price of admission just to see him and a healthy Datsyuk going head to head.

We missed out on it in '09 too, as Datsyuk was hurt, but when both were healthy in the few years after, it was like watching Jedi duel.

Malkin in that era was great. Letang too as he actually had another player with him with the raw offensive ability he had.

Letang doesn’t get scratched and having Malkin in that final healthy I think we win

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
None.

But, Shero’s Devils being relatively competitive ahead of time shows his long game.

Rutherford is and always has been a let’s see what sticks guy. His legacy is cemented, but that doesn’t mean he won’t be a greater failure.

JR did a hell of a job fixing the mess he made on the fly. And, he leveraged the 'speed opportunity' that existed 3 years ago.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Malkin in that era was great. Letang too as he actually had another player with him with the raw offensive ability he had.

Letang doesn’t get scratched and having Malkin in that final healthy I think we win

Letang got scratched because frankly he was in a rough place because of Luc Bourdon.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada

What you "think" and what actually happened are unfortunately two very different things I'm afraid.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Sprong isn't the reason we're losing and he wasn't the reason we were winning, but Sully's usage of him at times seems at best curious and at worst idiotic! Sully's player usage is a big problem and it goes well beyond Sprong. Although the forward lines tonight did make a bit more sense. Not playing Riikola on the back end didn't.

One shot tonight by sprong. Hes not getting it done. He’s a step slow out there mentally. NHL caliper defensemen eat him up.

Reactions: Badfish87

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Alright, so normally this is the part of the conversation where I'd be all dismissive and sarcastic and attempt (probably unsuccessfully) to make you feel 6" tall all for some cheap laughs at your expense. Instead, I'm gonna go another route, because I just saved 15% on my car insurance by selling my car.

You're right, that the coach and roster are the same. So, the first thing you have to ask yourself is this:

1) If it's a coach vs issue situation, who is more easily-replaced, 20 players, or 3 coaches? Even if you are willing to save a handful of players, even as many as 10, you're still talking about attempting to unload the dregs of your roster in a league that has become MASSIVELY CONSERVATIVE when it comes to making trades. Now you're asking the rest of the league, who ALL still believe they're still in the playoff race because it's only November, to take your bad players and their bad contracts while giving you something of value (even if that something of value is simply "not cap back"). Meanwhile, a legitimate star coach is sitting unemployed.

2) What is more likely: a team, whose roster has been dominant for stretches THIS SEASON and whose core has won multiple cups suddenly becomes bereft of all speed, skill, intelligence halfway through the season, OR that the team has found its way into a funk (like most teams do) and the organization has tried everything from yelling and screaming to trading a top-6 roster player to get them out of it, to no avail, and at some point you need to wonder: has the coach lost the ability to reach these guys?

You can say roster! roster! roster! all you want, but I don't understand how you can say it and not even once go coach? coach? coach?

It happens all over the world in many different sports, you get to a stage where you can’t fire all the players but you can fire the coach.

Sometimes you can work through it but we are in a unique situation where we have 2 of the best players in the world and they might not have many elite years left.

A big change has to happen. A new coach won’t solve everything either but it’s probably the biggest jump start.

Sully has greatly benefited from coaching a team with Sid and Geno but it also has big consequences and those consequences happen quicker on this team because of our situation.

Thistheexpresslane

Nov 19, 2018
None.

But, Shero’s Devils being relatively competitive ahead of time shows his long game.

Rutherford is and always has been a let’s see what sticks guy. His legacy is cemented, but that doesn’t mean he won’t be a greater failure.
Mean like Ray Ray trying desperately to sign Jordan Staal to that ridiculous deal? & when even Staal wouldn't do that trade for Sutter, 8th Pick (Pouliot) BUST & Thankfully Dumoulin & then drafted Maatta ?

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
We backed into the playoffs in his first season.

We may have to do the same in his fifth.

First season is largely attributed to the brand of hockey that Johnston was trying to force this team to play, and it simply not working.

As for this season, only time will tell. Still time to turn things around

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Mean like Ray Ray trying desperately to sign Jordan Staal to that ridiculous deal? & when even Staal wouldn't do that trade for Sutter, 8th Pick (Pouliot) BUST & Thankfully Dumoulin & then drafted Maatta ?

Perfect example of the kind of deal Shero made. Three ways to succeed. A 1st, Dumo and Sutter.

Guess who is on the other end of that trade cos this guy’s brother plays on the team.

Thistheexpresslane

Nov 19, 2018
Perfect example of the kind of deal Shero made. Three ways to succeed. A 1st, Dumo and Sutter.

Guess who is on the other end of that trade cos this guy’s brother plays on the team.
yeah he traded for Sutter, nothin Muffin ,8th pick & whiffed & Dumoulin & GMJR got Bonino for Sutter . want to take another spin

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Why would we ever pine for Ray Shero? I'm not even gonna tear the guy down too bad at this late date but if absolutely nothing else he stuck to a giant fraud well past his expiration date. That alone will never make me look back wistfully. Thanks for the Cup that you won by riding not one but two of the greatest centers in the last several decades like mules through a literally historic playoff run and then utterly failing to support them for the rest of your time here. Best of luck in Jersey, or whatever.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
It happens all over the world in many different sports, you get to a stage where you can’t fire all the players but you can fire the coach.

Sometimes you can work through it but we are in a unique situation where we have 2 of the best players in the world and they might not have many elite years left.

A big change has to happen. A new coach won’t solve everything either but it’s probably the biggest jump start.

Sully has greatly benefited from coaching a team with Sid and Geno but it also has big consequences and those consequences happen quicker on this team because of our situation.

A coaching change will make sense if you bring in a coach that can actually evaluate this roster from top to bottom and find a way to.make it work by playing to its strengths. Otherwise we're stuck in a "square peg/round hole" scenario.

That being said, I really like Sully and I'm.hoping he can find some way to turn things around.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I don't know if I have said this yet or not, because I have a tendency to write out posts and delete them, but I will say(possibly again) this about Sullivan. I think he has been as a good of a coach as the Penguins have ever had. I also think its reasonable to think he has lost the team. Coaches in this league have a very short shelf life, but Sullivan has deserved a leash. I think he has until the end of December. You can chalk right now up to a losing streak, but if things are still bad in a month its more than that. If I'm JR I would try to contact Q now on the DL (If thats even possible) and see if he would even be interested. He is after all rich, and older, so he may be content in enjoying his time away from the game. If he willing to coach again then I set a date for the team to turn it around under Sullivan, and if they don't...pull the trigger.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->