Post-Game Talk: Sabres 5, Penguins 2 - The Pens Have Gone from Suck to Blow

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Zucker was awesome against Montreal and Toronto. Your take is premature and bad and you should feel bad.

I feel bad that we lost.

The whole team was highly overrated at ES against Toronto take-1. The PP and Jarry sealed that game.

We'll see if it's premature. I hope it is.

What is Zucker better at than Kahun? Maybe he's a lil faster...not seeing much else. And I wouldn't exactly be in a huge hurry to hand Kahun $5.5M/year.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Zucker was awesome against Montreal and Toronto. Your take is premature and bad and you should feel bad.
For some reason people are okay with giving Simon a pass. I keep hearing that he's good with 87. And at times he is. Like for a shift or 2 in 75% of the games they play together. The other 25% of the games he doesn't look good for a single shift. I don't understand why people are good with that.

Other top line players in the league have to be better than okay for a shift or 2 a game. You're seriously handicapping Crosby by forcing Simon into that spot. Whether or not Sid prefers him (I don't know about any of that) is irrelevant. A coaches job is to put the pieces together so they fit and give the team the best chance for success.

To think that they demoted Zucker before Simon today makes me feel ill. The organization paid a hefty price for Zucker. To throw that by the wayside for a player like Simon, who has played the equivalent of 2 full NHL seasons and not even have 20 career goals under his belt is ludicrous.

Reactions: ncm7772

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Did they listen too much to dumb pundits overhyping them after the TOR game on Tuesday? Totally pathetic performances since then. Geno was bad defensively but he and Horny seemed to be the only ones with any real desire to score. Horny is too slow to play with Geno, this line being our only productive line says it all about the rest of the lines, really. Big gut check tomorrow, hadn't lost two in a row in two months and half, interesting to see the reaction. If it's bad... well, this forum will be unbearable for a while. :)

A game in which they were outplayed 5-on-5.

In the same way that the Pens were dominated teams and not converting them to wins early this season, it's been the inverse here. The results are regressing to the quality of play at 5-on-5 since January. Geno said more or less the same thing.

I despise Horny-Geno at this point especially with Rust on the other side but it is the only thing that remotely worked today.

Speaking of which, Rust has just been outright bad at ES for quite some time. And the guy was carrying us for stretches earlier.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
I didn't say not skilled, I said creative, as in can do the heavy lifting when Sid/Geno aren't on their game. Because that's what it boils down to. Wingers who are more creative than Zucker, and I'm not sure the guys you mentioned are, at least not consistently.

Kase's difficult to read because he's always injured and hasn't put together more than about a 30 game stretch. Palmeiri's a shooter, but is hardly a guy who is going to create a bunch of his line.
Palmieri literally drives his own line for NJ. I think Kase could pick up the slack for Sid/Geno, as long as it's for a short period of time. Smith is a complementary piece, but so is Zucker.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Palmieri literally drives his own line for NJ. I think Kase could pick up the slack for Sid/Geno, as long as it's for a short period of time. Smith is a complementary piece, but so is Zucker.

If Palmieri is another tier above Zucker why don’t any of the numbers back that up?

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
A game in which they were outplayed 5-on-5.

In the same way that the Pens were dominated teams and not converting them to wins early this season, it's been the inverse here. The results are regressing to the quality of play at 5-on-5 since January. Geno said more or less the same thing.

I despise Horny-Geno at this point especially with Rust on the other side but it is the only thing that remotely worked today.

Speaking of which, Rust has just been outright bad at ES for quite some time. And the guy was carrying us for stretches earlier.[/QUOTE]
If they can get a playoff spot locked up early enough, they should sit him and let him heal. It's pretty obvious that he has had something lingering for quite some time now.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I feel bad that we lost.

The whole team was highly overrated at ES against Toronto take-1. The PP and Jarry sealed that game.

We'll see if it's premature. I hope it is.

What is Zucker better at than Kahun? Maybe he's a lil faster...not seeing much else. And I wouldn't exactly be in a huge hurry to hand Kahun $5.5M/year.
Yeah the guy that's scored 30 goals before is barely better than a 2nd year middle six tweener

This f***ing board man

Reactions: ncm7772 and Turin

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Yeah the guy that's scored 30 goals before is barely better than a 2nd year middle six tweener

This f*cking board man

Galchenyuk scored 30 goals before too. Is that the only criteria?

Man.

Tanner Pearson had a pedigree too. Didn't do anything here. Ditto David Perron. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we didn't pay the equivalent of 2 first-round picks for either of those players?

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
They don't?

Palmieri has been on pace for at least 30 goals for 4 of the past 5 seasons. Zucker... just once.

They are basically identical 5 on 5.

Man.

Tanner Pearson had a pedigree too. Didn't do anything here. Ditto David Perron. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we didn't pay the equivalent of 2 first-round picks for either of those players?

This is so unbelievably cringe. You need to take a breather, it’s been two bad games. Sidney Crosby has arguably been worse these last two than Zucker, if you want some really hot takes start with him.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh

Man.

Can you really not deduce how all of those guys were the antithesis how how this team likes to play? And how Zucker plays EXACTLY the style we like to play?

Edit: also funny you dont mention hagelin, an objectively less skilled player than perron who worked out BETTER here because he fit.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
This is so unbelievably cringe. You need to take a breather, it’s been two bad games. Sidney Crosby has arguably been worse these last two than Zucker, if you want some really hot takes.

Nah, Solz. I don't worry about Crosby. Perhaps Zucker's at that level for you because you've watched him so extensively but he's underwhelmed me since he took the ice for us.

Sorry I'll be cringe. But it's a fact that JR (in fact, nobody) bats 1.000 and I'm simply predicting that this is going to be a miss and not a hit. Even if the ballots are only like 10% in.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Can you really not deduce how all of those guys were the antithesis how how this team likes to play? And how Zucker plays EXACTLY the style we like to play?

Edit: also funny you dont mention hagelin, an objectively less skilled player than perron who worked out BETTER here because he fit.

Sure. What'd we pay for Hagelin? I guess Perron. Still less. I love(d) Hagelin.

BTW, stylistically having wingers that grind well along the boards, win battles and create turnovers is part of that. I haven't seen any of that from Zucker...okay some takeaways in neutral ice...thus far.

I'm happy to keep being the skeptical mother-in-lawof the star-crossed marriage between the Pens and Zucker. You can dunk on me in his next 1G 1A performance. Hope it's soon.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I was at this one, regretfully. Hornqvist is a beauty of a hockey player. What a perfectly timed huge check.

Tanev, Blueger, and Hornqvist were the only 3 guys who I can legitimately say were playing a good game.

Kris Letang is the one of the most physically gifted hockey players in the league. Kris Letang is one of the dumbest hockey players in the league. This team could absolutely figure it out without him if we had 7.25m in salary cap space to figure out the defense. Atrocious game by him. Jack Johnson was honestly the more solid of the two.

We have a good team, but it needs to mesh. The injuries are killing us. If we lose to Washington tomorrow the same way we have lost to Toronto and Buffalo(!), JR is going to shake it up a bit, I think.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I like Conor Sheary, but t he addition of him wouldn't bring clarity, it would just add to the clusterf***. I think part of the issue is we have good hockey players but have absolutely no idea where they should play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad