News Article: Sabres’ Marcus Foligno embracing lesser role, feels game improving

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-marcus-foligno-embracing-lesser-role-feels-game-improving/

Marcus Foligno said Ted Nolan could’ve easily demoted him to the fourth line without an explanation. But a straightforward, face-to-face chat accompanied the struggling young winger’s move.

“Marcus is a big, powerful forward,†the Sabres’ interim coach said Tuesday following practice inside the First Niagara Center. “I told him he was just big, he wasn’t powerful. He wasn’t hitting anybody. He wasn’t using his size to his advantage.â€

So in slashing his minutes, Nolan told the 6-foot-3, 223-pound Foligno he wanted him to play more aggressively and “cause some havoc for the opposition.â€

“I think you respect him a lot more for (being) a man that talks to you face-to-face telling you what he wants from you or what you should be doing better,†said Foligno, who registered a one-punch knockout of New Jersey’s Ryan Carter on Saturday. “That makes it a lot easier. … He just tells you how it is.â€

Foligno said he’s been playing “quality minutes.â€

“That’s the biggest thing,†he said. “You’re still getting put out there in situations where you have a chance to help the offensive side. Like last game, you got to do certain things that keep you in the lineup, and I think he’s taught me that.â€

The 22-year-old wasn’t giving the Sabres many quality minutes earlier this season.

Right now, Foligno’s still trying to find out what kind of NHL player he’ll become, a grinder or scorer.

To develop properly, Sabres captain Steve Ott said, “You have to get your junior mindset out.â€

The gritty Ott, someone Foligno said he watches regularly, scored 93 goals during his last two years of junior. But Ott quickly figured out as an NHL rookie in 2002-03 he had to be a fourth-line energy guy, “not worry about scoring, run around and hit guys and be competitive,†he said.

Eventually, that style created other opportunities for Ott, who scored 22 goals four years ago.

.... Foligno feels comfortable with Nolan.

“I think Ted has a lot of trust in me and he expects a lot out of me,†he said. “He’s a good coach, he’s a good communicator. I think it’s going to be good for the future as he’s trying to develop me into a player that’s physical.â€

He added: “He’s taught a lot of guys what he wants from them especially myself, that’s to be a hard body out there every night, be consistent. Ever since he’s taken over he’s helped my game.â€

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The comment about being talked to face to face... while that may be a Rolston thing, it was also something that players have commented on about Ruff's lack of interaction.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
In what sense?

He seems to be getting back on track. Not sure what your expectations are of him.

I expect him to work, play and hit hard. I've seen Foligno bring that a few times this year but he's otherwise been a passenger. He was the same way last year. He'll tune someone up now and again, but for the most part, he's passively floated and gone through the motions. :dunno:

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
I have to agree with gallagt01..I want the 2011-2012 Foligno, not the passenger he's been this year. Granted, he won't be able to put up good numbers on a team like this, but I just wish he could do more. On top of that, I don't think he's been getting "quality minutes", quantity=/=quality. In other words, I wish Nolan would give him ice time with better players rather than Flynn and Scott like he's been doing the past couple games

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I have to agree with gallagt01..I want the 2011-2012 Foligno, not the passenger he's been this year. Granted, he won't be able to put up good numbers on a team like this, but I just wish he could do more. On top of that, I don't think he's been getting "quality minutes", quantity=/=quality. In other words, I wish Nolan would give him ice time with better players rather than Flynn and Scott like he's been doing the past couple games

You don't get quality minutes.

Quality minutes refers to the quality of the play that a player gives the team with the minutes he gets.

Simplifying his game the way Ott described is the way to go. They tried to speed things up with Foligno and it didn't really work.

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
This change only happened recently. If you're talking about earlier this year, that is the issue they are addressing.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
You don't get quality minutes.

Quality minutes refers to the quality of the play that a player gives the team with the minutes he gets.

Simplifying his game the way Ott described is the way to go. They tried to speed things up with Foligno and it didn't really work.

Exactly

Well said

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I expect him to work, play and hit hard. I've seen Foligno bring that a few times this year but he's otherwise been a passenger. He was the same way last year. He'll tune someone up now and again, but for the most part, he's passively floated and gone through the motions. :dunno:

Agreed, Foligno has been pretty bad most of this year. Effort is missing more often then not. He has not taken the next step since his amazing stint at the end of 11-12. The days of him being this untouchable future power forward are over. He is still a good player and big strong players like him are hard to find but if the right deal comes along and they want Foligno in return then I would have no problem trading him.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Why are you bringing his entire season into this? SInce Nolan reset things with him he has been playing better and in line with whats needed from him. He still has work to do but he's back on track.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I agree there are games where he has followed the rest of the heard and not been any sort of presence. Yet there is the point to ponder: what sort of direction was he getting? He's on a scoring line wing, then fourth line center, then 4th line wing, then on a scoring line on the wing, then mid-line center, then 4th line center and everywhere in between. To harp on one of the points I didn't like when Ruff was still here: give the kid a job, tell him what is expected of him in that job and let the rest of his game fill in around that task. We know Foligno can be an effective checking line winger, a guy who can contribute in all three zones with a heavy game and some timely offense. He's not the guy who feasted on easy minutes (see: high o-zone starts, low QualCom) with Ennis and Stafford during his rookie year. It was said then and can be said now -- that was an aberration and is not what his game is all about. He's a mid-line road grader, not a top line power forward. Let the kid have a job, give him direction like was done with the Wolves, and let him go. He'll florish. But to expect a kid at his age to figure it out as he goes is a continuation in the recipe for disaster and directionlessness that this team had under the previous regime.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Why are you bringing his entire season into this? SInce Nolan reset things with him he has been playing better and in line with whats needed from him. He still has work to do but he's back on track.

If you're expecting less then yeah...he's improved under Nolan. But..I still think he's floating out there under Nolan and can give a whole lot more. I think putting him back on wing and giving him a reduced role is the right move by Nolan but i don't see any improvement with his game. Up until the Jersey game most here would of been fine giving him a stint in Rochester or a healthy scratch. (Then he knocked someone out)

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan

I haven't seen much improvement in his game under Nolan and he's been back on the wing with fewer responsibilities for a while now. I don't see that he's "back on track."

I agree there are games where he has followed the rest of the heard and not been any sort of presence. Yet there is the point to ponder: what sort of direction was he getting? He's on a scoring line wing, then fourth line center, then 4th line wing, then on a scoring line on the wing, then mid-line center, then 4th line center and everywhere in between. To harp on one of the points I didn't like when Ruff was still here: give the kid a job, tell him what is expected of him in that job and let the rest of his game fill in around that task. We know Foligno can be an effective checking line winger, a guy who can contribute in all three zones with a heavy game and some timely offense. He's not the guy who feasted on easy minutes (see: high o-zone starts, low QualCom) with Ennis and Stafford during his rookie year. It was said then and can be said now -- that was an aberration and is not what his game is all about. He's a mid-line road grader, not a top line power forward. Let the kid have a job, give him direction like was done with the Wolves, and let him go. He'll florish. But to expect a kid at his age to figure it out as he goes is a continuation in the recipe for disaster and directionlessness that this team had under the previous regime.

I agre completely. At the very least, he has a clearly defined role and some direction. Hopefully in translates to results. I haven't been impressed with the inconsistencies in Foligno's work ethic since joining the NHL. Those inconsistencies haven't tailed off under Nolan.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
If you're expecting less then yeah...he's improved under Nolan. But..I still think he's floating out there under Nolan and can give a whole lot more. I think putting him back on wing and giving him a reduced role is the right move by Nolan but i don't see any improvement with his game. Up until the Jersey game most here would of been fine giving him a stint in Rochester or a healthy scratch. (Then he knocked someone out)

Agree to disagree. I see an uptick in his play in terms of doing more of the little things he needs to do. As I've already acknowledged in this thread there is more work to be done.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Agree to disagree. I see an uptick in his play in terms of doing more of the little things he needs to do. As I've already acknowledged in this thread there is more work to be done.

Fair enough.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Fair enough.

Foligno has seen an uptick in SOG since the coaching change, despite reduced minutes.

That is one halfway decent indicator that the changes have had a positive impact in his game.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville

Yeah, I thought he was one of our best forwards until a little after the Islanders game. then they switched him to center and his play went downhill from there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad