Rumor: S. Kostitsyn wants to move back to Europe?

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
I think the disruption of switching team/league/city/country/ continent/ time zone and the related nhlpa collective bargaining stress should not be ruled out as a contributing factor.

Face it, last year was a weird year for all players in the league and more so for our team with the suter weber fiasco. It probably had an impact on some guys and I'm willing to wait and hope next year brings a more normal result.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Adios. Even in the midst of his 43 and 50pt seasons, the effort level just wasn't high enough for my liking.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
i'll say this again like I have said in Radulov threads on the trade boards, the KHL and NHL now respect each others contracts. Unless someone can explain to me how it could be different, he will have to play next season in the NHL unless he is bought out and that would be a colossal waste of money.

The PH Factor

Mar 18, 2013
Washington, DC
i'll say this again like I have said in Radulov threads on the trade boards, the KHL and NHL now respect each others contracts. Unless someone can explain to me how it could be different, he will have to play next season in the NHL unless he is bought out and that would be a colossal waste of money.

Secret inter-league trade of Kostitsyn for Nichushkin :sarcasm:

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006

He could be loaned to the KHL, but he would have to pass through waivers first.

I'm not sure if they could mutually void his contract. Might be possible. :dunno:

cleangene63

Jan 25, 2006
Beautiful Bellevue
There HAS to be someone who owes us a bag of pucks. Between the Edmonton fiasco and the still unbelievable stoppage on a breakaway combined with the uncalled for boarding in the stars game here, no desire to see SK74 in a Preds jersey again exsits for me.

MinWild1

May 25, 2012
It can happen, if he keeps bringing up and saying he wants to go to the KHL then that's what will happen. Same thing would happen if any of these other Russian stars did it. It's just the world we live in, you piss and moun long enough youll get what you want.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
No you can't. Would have cap implications. Contract terms are unalterable. SK is playing in the NHL next year unless we buy him out.
don't think so. You can put someone in the AHL if the clear waivers you just have to pay the NHL salary but it doesn't effect the cap.

If you both agreed to void the contract, no contract law in the US would block it. If he's not on the active roster he wouldn't count against the cap.

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
Why wouldn't they be able to do the same thing they did with Nic Bergfors? Did something change in that regard in the new CBA?

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
don't think so. You can put someone in the AHL if the clear waivers you just have to pay the NHL salary but it doesn't effect the cap.

If you both agreed to void the contract, no contract law in the US would block it. If he's not on the active roster he wouldn't count against the cap.

Under the new CBA he would still be a cap hit if in the minors. Teams can no longer bury players in the minors to avoid the cap ... a'la Redden, Avery, et al.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

wrong and wrong.

the new CBA makes teams count a players full cap hit regardless of whether they are in the AHL or NHL

and the CBA can dictate what happens to contracts within the NHL. the courts wont interfere because the CBA was agreed to by both sides in collective bargaining. otherwise teams could mutually agree to raise or lower salaries, renegotiate contract lengths, etc

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
If both sides wanted a break (i.e. Kostitsyn wants to go to Russia and Nashville doesn't want him anymore), they absolutely can mutually terminate his contract. I'm not sure if you have to first assign him somewhere and have him report or not, but if both parties agree the player can go on termination waivers and, provided he clears, the contract is gone. Nashville would have no cap hit but Kostitsyn wouldn't get any money. Montreal just did this at season's end with Alexander Avtsin. Avtsin wanted to back to Russia, so Montreal put him on termination waivers and terminated his contract the next day.

Five players were placed on termination waivers this year: Avtsin, Alain Berger (also by Montreal), Nick Petersen (by Pittsburgh), Corey Elkins (by Anaheim) and Niko Hovinen (by Philadelphia), all but Hovinen had their deals terminated (Hovinen was claimed by Edmonton and assigned to their AHL team, where he is still dressing as their back-up). Avtsin, Berger and Elkins all left their NHL teams for teams in Europe, while Petersen signed an AHL deal with Houston (It's been speculated that his termination had to do with his wife's health problems).

So, yes, it is possible to have a contract mutually terminated. It very rarely happens to well-known players, though, because no player wants to walk away from that much money. I believe John LeClair was the most well-known player to go through this process back in 2006, his last year in the NHL. LeClair was unhappy, Pittsburgh was unhappy, he didn't want to go to the AHL, so the two sides agreed to terminate his deal and he became an UFA.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I stand corrected. Was unaware of "termination waivers". However, given that it is actually waivers, a player could at least theoretically be claimed and forced to honor his contract(as Hovinen was). would be interesting to see if a team with plenty of cap space and a real need for a forward would take the chance that they could motivate SK. Thank you for the info

Predsfan78

Ambassador
Jul 24, 2010
Nashville
Just read the article and only found one reference to SK:

"Его, слышал, очень хочет вернуть Омск" - which in Russian means "I heard that Omsk wants him (SK) to return ". I think there is a difference between SK wanting to return vs Omsk wanting him to return.

It is a fact SK played like crap last year and was one of the worst players on the team so I'm pretty unhappy with him, but I didn't see anything in that article stating he wants to leave NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: