Post-Game Talk: S-H-U-T-O-U-T Jets win 5-0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saitama

Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
That was fun to watch! Great job by Pavs! Hopefully the competition keeps him on his toes like this. :handclap:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
We suck on the cycle, though. Comparatively few cycle plays by the Jets result in goals. It might have something to do with not having many positive possession players on the team.

It's not so much that we lack positive possession players, at least in the truest sense.

It's more that with this current roster, possession is much more likely to be sustained off of rushes in transition and through successful carries into the opposition end than it is to be sustained through dumping and chasing. Like you said, the Jets suck on the cycle, and struggle to win battles along the boards. They seem to fare much better when they can put teams back on their heels.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Well...that was the first Jets home game that I didn't attend this season. Anyone want tickets for next game? :sarcasm:

Strange game. Thought we outplayed the Preds in the first, though not by the significant margin that the score would indicate. The game was never really in doubt after that, but man alive were they doing their best to try and make it interesting, pizzas everywhere in the 2nd and 3rd. Bogosian was an absolute trainwreck, Scheifele was also really soft on the puck at times.

I realize I'm being hard on this team following a 5-0 win, but that's more a reflection of where I think the Jets can be. A little bit of puck luck and some smart coaching goes a long way, and I think it speaks volumes that the Jets can thump a team like Nashville when they're not playing their best game.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you Claude for reuniting LLW! Enstrom-Byfuglien for next game, pretty please?

To me this doesn't make sense. Bogo is off this season, but he still is a team leading +7 playing some heavy minutes. But if he is a train-wreck pairing him with a bigger train-wreck in the -12 Clitsome can't be a good thing? IMO the Jets with their current injury situation are much more balanced on the backend separating Buff and Enstrom. Again IMO Enstrom is playing his best hockey as a Jet paired with the Train-wreck Bogosian.

Aela*

Pavelec with a shutout. Didn't see the game, but who woulda thunk?

Jay Gatsby

no puck luck!
Jul 9, 2013
Wolfsburg, Germany
First game I didn't watch. I should change my habits I guess.

I'm all fired up about how good Bryan Little has been. He continues to be one of the fastest, and by that harfest backcheckers in the league, especially when you consider that he is in a scoring role. And finally he has got his shot back.

5-0 , woooohoooo

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
To me this doesn't make sense. Bogo is off this season, but he still is a team leading +7 playing some heavy minutes. But if he is a train-wreck pairing him with a bigger train-wreck in the -12 Clitsome can't be a good thing? IMO the Jets with their current injury situation are much more balanced on the backend separating Buff and Enstrom. Again IMO Enstrom is playing his best hockey as a Jet paired with the Train-wreck Bogosian.

I hear what you're saying, but I'm still not convinced that we've optimized our pairings like that. IMO we could achieve better balance by using Bogosian on the 2nd pairing with Pardy and Clitsome on the third pairing with Ellerby.

Clitsome actually hasn't been that bad this season, and nowhere near as bad as his -12 would indicate. Bogosian is more just frustrating than anything, we all know how effective he can be.

Much like LLW, I see Buff-Enstrom as a proven entity that was broken up as a knee-jerk reaction.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
It's not so much that we lack positive possession players, at least in the truest sense.

It's more that with this current roster, possession is much more likely to be sustained off of rushes in transition and through successful carries into the opposition end than it is to be sustained through dumping and chasing. Like you said, the Jets suck on the cycle, and struggle to win battles along the boards. They seem to fare much better when they can put teams back on their heels.

Regardless of how you enter the zone, how do you sustain zone time (offensive pressure) without being able to recover, cycle the puck and win board battles?

If you are relying on rushes to score at this level, you're going to have a lot of 1-2 goal games (aka losses).

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Well-coached game by Noel;)

Great game from Pavs. Let's see more of that in the next few weeks Ondre and the Jets should be above .500.
Little with another good game. Joki was solid as was Ladd minus that brain cramp giveaway. Enstrom was solid once again.

Let's keep the momentum going and get the win against San Jose on Sunday.

Reed Solomon

GO ✈'s GO
Jul 26, 2011
Winnipeg, Man.
I hope we see more improvement from Pavs, and Montoya holding his own as well. Honestly this was a very good game for Pavs but it's meaningless if he doesn't keep it up. The rest of the team was pretty solid as well. I've already set up a lawn chair on Portage avenue for the parade.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
Regardless of how you enter the zone, how do you sustain zone time (offensive pressure) without being able to recover, cycle the puck and win board battles?

If you are relying on rushes to score at this level, you're going to have a lot of 1-2 goal games (aka losses).

easy

hire Carlyle

no zone pressure needed :sarcasm:

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Great game by Pavelec.

This is what we need - two goalies to push one another to play better. Plus a Little (see what I did there?) scoring touch always helps.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Good game. Would have been interesting to see what happens once the Preds scored a goal in the second period. Jets collapse? Jets stay on their feet and fight back?

Anyway, I won't complain.

And, btw, I've gotta admit that I liked that Clune guy :D

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Some "interesting" (air quotes) opinions on both sides of the Pavelec argument. ;)

He played well enough. I was happy and would be overjoyed for more.

I highly recommend anyone to track scoring chances over a span of twenty games... Since some people here think the Jets D limited chances this game more so than previous.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
It was odd to watch Nashville look like the Jets in the first, but the win feels good.

Can the Jets play like this for a second game in a row (and 3rd out of the last 4 games) against the Sharks? Is this sort of a culmination of the hard work the Jets managed in several losses beginning to be reflected on the scoreboard? Because, to me, the Jets are only effective when the entire team is playing on the same page. Discounting the lapses in judgment by Ladd, Bogo and others, the Jets played a fairly effective game, and when they lost their way at times, Pavelec was there to bail them out. And every time Pavelec came up with the big save, the Jets responded with some intensity.

Last night's game also illustrated the success the Jets can have playing Noel's system, IF THEY ALL PARTICIPATE. When Buff, Toby, Bogo or Clitsome took the puck deep to the net, a forward almost always cycled back to cover the line, and several times a forward was able to either break up a break-out attempt or recover and track down the puck carrier in the neutral zone (even the Joker managed that a few times). There was also a lot of forward support in the d-zone, although Shy-flee needs to get stronger on the puck. There is some criticism due, even in a 5-0 win, but the Jets did a lot of little things right that affected the final score.

Let's bask in the afterglow of a big win, and shut-out for a day before we start picking at all the nits.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Bad game to arrive 8 minutes late too :help:

We played well but Nashville's goaltending sucked really bad. without Rinne their guys looked pretty mortal last night. what exactly were Nashville doing on the play where Olli won the draw stepped around his man and fed Seto who was uncovered in front of the net? :help:

Kind of a weird game to be at because nursing such a big lead is not something our crowd is use to.

Glad a rested Pavs got the shut out because he was full marks for it.

I wonder what Little's shooting % is this season because it feels like it is a make up year or something? Couldn't happen to a harder working more deserving player who tends to fly under the radar allot.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I wonder what Little's shooting % is this season because it feels like it is a make up year or something? Couldn't happen to a harder working more deserving player who tends to fly under the radar allot.

It's around 25% right now. Crazy high. Needs to shoot more. :laugh: I'm loving his game this year.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The Jets were playing the Jets, somebody had to get blown out.....

gg

Your avatar makes me laugh and think of the Rob Lowe tweet this week where he said he misses his buddy Chris Farley and he would have loved to see Chris's Rob Ford skit on SNL this Saturday!! :laugh::laugh:

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
What I find most amazing about this game is that Kane made a pass. A nice one. :laugh:

Nice to see a blowout once in a while. Good game Jets!

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
We played well but Nashville's goaltending sucked really bad. without Rinne their guys looked pretty mortal last night. what exactly were Nashville doing on the play where Olli won the draw stepped around his man and fed Seto who was uncovered in front of the net? :help:

basically, they were doing exactly what our guys do when we get those goals scored against us. Just goes to show the Jets aren't the only team that has weird defensive breakdowns...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->