Status
Not open for further replies.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Aki Fan said:
2 g's 1 a looks like for Mr. Whitney tonight

imagine what he would have had if he was good ;)

That's it!!!! As the #5 pick overall he should of had at least 7g and 9 assists :shakehead . Especially playing against this college level crap!

TRADE HIM NOW!

Trade Welch too! He only had 1 goal :madfire: tonight!

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
craig1 said:
That's it!!!! As the #5 pick overall he should of had at least 7g and 9 assists :shakehead . Especially playing against this college level crap!

TRADE HIM NOW!

Trade Welch too! He only had 1 goal :madfire: tonight!

I'd be more than willimg to trade him.
Moome is saying that he isnt a solid prospect, just that he has ALOT of work to do to reach his potential....and that IMO, he is over rated.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Is anyone else pissed (now and at that time) that the Pens didn't pick Lupul? I've watched some of the games that Whitney has played in now and I think that a player like Bruce Driver is a good comparison. While he is a great skater he doesn't have the flat out speed that Hedican has and the Leech comparison is just way, way off. He'll be a good NHL Dman just not a great one. The same with Welch, he'll be a very good, tough as nails Dman that can headman the puck out of the zone but he won't be seeing PP time at all.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
#66 said:
Is anyone else pissed (now and at that time) that the Pens didn't pick Lupul? I've watched some of the games that Whitney has played in now and I think that a player like Bruce Driver is a good comparison. While he is a great skater he doesn't have the flat out speed that Hedican has and the Leech comparison is just way, way off. He'll be a good NHL Dman just not a great one. The same with Welch, he'll be a very good, tough as nails Dman that can headman the puck out of the zone but he won't be seeing PP time at all.

Have you ever seen Welch play? Why wouldn't he see PP time? He's got an excellent offensive game.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
#66 said:
The same with Welch, he'll be a very good, tough as nails Dman that can headman the puck out of the zone but he won't be seeing PP time at all.

:shakehead

This has to be one of the most ignorant comments I've ever seen. Hey, can I borrow your crystal ball when you are done with it?

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Watch him play. He makes the simple pass and gets his shot on net, thats it. While that will result in points in college hockey its not going to carry over into the pros. Of coarse he can alter his game here and there to become a better player, I just don't see it right now.

Sixty Six

Feb 28, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
#66 said:
Watch him play. He makes the simple pass and gets his shot on net, thats it. While that will result in points in college hockey its not going to carry over into the pros. Of coarse he can alter his game here and there to become a better player, I just don't see it right now.

That sounds like a current pen, Dick Tarnstrom and he doesn't see powerplay time :shakehead

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Herb_Brooks said:
That sounds like a current pen, Dick Tarnstrom and he doesn't see powerplay time :shakehead
Tarnstrom is also a great passer and very under-rated skill wise. On a better team he could easily be a 50 pt Dman. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that Welche and Whitney aren't going to be players, just not as high end as some think. If the Pens have Welche, Orpik, and Bissonnette on their D down the line it would make for a big, tough, mobile defense. Whitney, IMO, will also be another good dman, its just that a Leech comparison was thrown out at the Pens boards and he just isn't that great.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Alex Kovalev said:
I dont understand why we didnt just take Eminger. If we wanted a defensemen at 5th overall, he should be the one we should have took.

I give the edge to pure skills and (of course) size to Whitney. Simply put, the Pens took the guy with the far greater upside.

Eminger is the servicable guy who is less of a question mark but has no chance to ever dominate.

The Pens went with the high-risk, high-reward proverbial bet.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
I give the edge to pure skills and (of course) size to Whitney. Simply put, the Pens took the guy with the far greater upside.

Eminger is the servicable guy who is less of a question mark but has no chance to ever dominate.

The Pens went with the high-risk, high-reward proverbial bet.

I agree with Vlad here. Eminger is good, but Whitney's potential is much, much higher.

Why are some so disappointed with Whitney all of a sudden? He's having a great year after being injured all of last year........Is it because some were hoping he'd turn pro and be with the Pens by this point? If that's the case, don't hold your breath. He's going back to college next year.....especially with the CBA uncertainty. He'll turn pro after next year.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I hope that I'm not coming across as being disappointed in him, I just think that I'm being realistic. While I mentioned Lupul, I do like Whitney alot. Its just that I see more Tom Poti in him than Brian Leech.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
#66 said:
I hope that I'm not coming across as being disappointed in him, I just think that I'm being realistic. While I mentioned Lupul, I do like Whitney alot. Its just that I see more Tom Poti in him than Brian Leech.

So now it's Tom Poti? He's about as far away from a "tough as nails" D-man as you're about to find. Make up your mind.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
#66 said:

I have....and I think your assesment is way off. Noah Has some mad skill which isnt JUST limeted to :getting the puck on net and making a good first pass. I dont see what you are seeing...

OILERSCHICK?????

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
So now it's Tom Poti? He's about as far away from a "tough as nails" D-man as you're about to find. Make up your mind.
I was talking about Whitney, you have to follow through the list and read to see that the talk went back to him. As for Welche when I saw him he didn't carry the puck, make a creative pass, put a shot in the top corner, or jump into the play that much. Thats not the end of the world but he didn't impress with his offensive skill.

Dr_Chimera*

Rabid Ranger said:

There's a bit of Poti there - I don't think he means Whitney is "all" Poti.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Dr_Chimera said:
There's a bit of Poti there - I don't think he means Whitney is "all" Poti.

No doubt. Whitney in particular is never going to be a guy who uses his size to cream people. He's not all that physical, but will finesse to get the job done. Welch is much the same way.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
......But Pittsburgh has Orpik and Malankykh (When he comes over from Russia...where he made the RSL All-Star team I might mention) along with Koci (...talk about intimidating!) for the punishment....As long as Whitney and Welch are solid defensivly, that's all that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->