Ryan Whitney

adudani

Mar 28, 2006
Just wondering what your thoughts are about Ryan Whitney. Is he worth drafting in the later rounds of a keeper league? How many points do you think he'll score this year?

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
If you wait to the later rounds, you'll be about 10-15 rounds too late. Whitney should go pretty early in the keeper league.

Viking Penguin*

At least, 80 points, definetly on the powerplay with Crosby.
My Prediction:

20 Goals 65 Assists 85 points

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
At least, 80 points, definetly on the powerplay with Crosby.
My Prediction:

20 Goals 65 Assists 85 points

Dear God....
Your gonna get eaten alive for that one.
Its one thing to be optomistic but people are going to call you out as a blatant homer for that statement....and they would be right.
I think you really might want to think about the objectivity of that statement and ask yourself how and why you think he has even a realistic chance to add almost 50 points to his total. Name the last defenseman to put up 85 points in a season.
There are so many guys who are better offensive defensmen in the league right now than Whitney is and they didnt even accomplish that (Gonchar being one of them).
Im not trying to be rude or mean, but I try to remain objective and I see ALOT of people on here get dismissed outright for making outlandish predictions about thier favorite team. As a fellow Pens fan, Id like to help you out and advise you to really try harder to be objective.
There are a TON of things to like about Whitney and a very good reason to be excited and optomistic about his game. But you're really going overboard big time with it.

I would be thrilled if he concentrated on improving his defense over the next couple of years and if his offense stayed around the 40 point mark. That would be ideal.

Tom_Servo said:
A total that would've made him the top scoring defenseman last year.

Isn't that rather optimistic?

Optimistic isnt the word I had in mind.
Outrageous seems more appropriate.
He had 38 points in 68 games last season as a rookie and as a sophomore he is going to add almost FIFTY POINTS to that total?????!!!!!????
I was honestly stunned when I read that.

adudani said:
Just wondering what your thoughts are about Ryan Whitney. Is he worth drafting in the later rounds of a keeper league? How many points do you think he'll score this year?

To answer your question, he will be gone if it is a keeper league by the time the later rounds roll around. He is one of the premier younger offensive D-Men in the league.
Now obviously he wont get 85 points next year but under a full season I would expect him to hit around (10g 40a) 50 points, give or take 5.
A very good investment for a keeper league as he is young and will only get better. If the Pens improve over the years as they are expected to, he will start putting up some nice points as he will obviously benefit from playing with guys who are projected to be great scorers.
As far as "young" NHL offensive defensemen go, I would take guys like Pitkanen, Carle, Phaneuf over Whit, but he is still a solid pickup and even more so if it is a keeper league.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Whitney should put up good numbers, considering the fact that aside from Gonchar, we aren't overly stacked with offensive d-men, at least not of the NHL ready variety. I think 50-60 points is fairly reasonable, he already moves the puck really well already, and with the whole team hopefully on the same page from the start of the year, I expect Whitney's contributions to go up. His confidence with the puck grew as the season progressed, hopefully his fantastic goal against the Isles is a sign of things to come. He's also going to get a chance to shine right from the get go, rather than having an great camp and being sent down anyway.

He doesn't get a lot of talk around these parts, but he should start turning heads sooner rather than later.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
If you wait to the later rounds, you'll be about 10-15 rounds too late. Whitney should go pretty early in the keeper league.

No doubt.

For the bulk of the season Whitney was the Penguins best defenseman last season. I know that may not be saying a whole lot but he still played much better than I was expecting out of the gate.

Fantasy-wise his value has to be pretty damn huge. He has the talent and potential to be one of the premier offensive defenseman in the NHL and already sits on the Penguins first Power Play unit, which was first in the league from December on out.

I expect around 60 points from him this season.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

85 points? In his sleep maybe! I'd expect closer to 120-125 points out of him this year.

And with Malkin next year, i project around 160 points and when Stall is going to join the lineup in a few years.... 200 points :eek: WHAT A PLAYER !!!!

:sarcasm:

Heske_44

Jul 4, 2006
Whitney was a late round pick in our keeper league in the '04 draft we had. He is going to be a stud as it is. Crosby will help to inflate his stats, either way 60 points next season is easily possible. 38 points in 68 games at 23 years old didn't sell you on him? That's on pace for 45 points as a rookie.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Whitney finished the year with 21 points in his last 25 games as a rookie defenseman. If he can avoid he mid-season slump this year that he had last year, he's good for 50+ points easily.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
Whitney is awesome. I think his ability to man the Point on the PP is PERFECT for the pens. He's heads-up. I forsee many, many points. He seems like a team guy, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->