Ryan Whitney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
With many great American talents on defence emerging isn't Ryan Whitney overlooked? He has excellent size and skating, he uses his reach effectively, is smart and calm. And boy, he can handle and pass the puck. I've seen him couple of times lately and he won me, he reminds me a little bit of Vladimir Malakhov (yes, I know, I know, but Malakhov in his prime was an excellent defenceman). There's your future #1 defenceman Pittsburgh fans and he may very well end as the best from E. and J. Johnsons and Ryan Suter. Great kid, an elegant player.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Yep, he's been very good and has looked better since MT has taking over as coach of the Pens. Like any defenseman, he looks better with structure around him. IMO he plays alot like Tomas Kaberle. He's has elite passing skills and is very mobile. His first pass out of the defensive zone is downright awesome already and he joins the rush well. I wouldn't say that he's very physical but he has learned to make take outs and competes hard. One of the best things about him is his great attitude. He had some flaws coming out of college and has worked on them to improve his game.

IMO he along with MAF are huge +'s from the lockout. Both just needed that full year in the AHL and have been better for it this year.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Archijerej said:
With many great American talents on defence emerging isn't Ryan Whitney overlooked? He has excellent size and skating, he uses his reach effectively, is smart and calm. And boy, he can handle and pass the puck. I've seen him couple of times lately and he won me, he reminds me a little bit of Vladimir Malakhov (yes, I know, I know, but Malakhov in his prime was an excellent defenceman).
I agree with the Malakhov comparison a lot. I've used it in the past regarding Whitney, actually.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Balej's Dance said:
I seem to remember a certain cheapshot against the Rangers the game before this recent one. He got jacked up by Hollweg real nice yesterday.

Are we trying to get another thread locked?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Jacobv2 said:
I agree with the Malakhov comparison a lot. I've used it in the past regarding Whitney, actually.

I love Whitney since he's an American and he's skilled as hell, but Malakhov in his prime was, in my opinion, one of the most talented players EVER in the game (though his heart was never there which is a shame). Whitney is good, but I don't think he has half the raw skill that Malakhov had in his prime. That is a VERY lofty place to put Whitney. I do like what I have seen from him, though, so far. It's good he's turned the corner after college and improved a ton.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
#66 said:
I wouldn't say that he's very physical but he has learned to make take outs and competes hard. One of the best things about him is his great attitude. He had some flaws coming out of college and has worked on them to improve his game.

I agree but I always thought that you don't have to be a hitter to be a good defensive player. Whitney uses his stick check, smarts and mobility effectively. As you said, he will learn how to play his body better and that's not saying that he's not doing it well already. He'll play a Lidstroem, Jonsson, A.Markov kind of defending but his strenght and reach will give him a bonus.

Jon Prescription said:
I love Whitney since he's an American and he's skilled as hell, but Malakhov in his prime was, in my opinion, one of the most talented players EVER in the game (though his heart was never there which is a shame). Whitney is good, but I don't think he has half the raw skill that Malakhov had in his prime. That is a VERY lofty place to put Whitney.

You may be right but Whitney really reminds Malakhov stilistically. Similar skating style, uses his stick to his advantage, doing everything calmly giving you an almost "lazy" impression (well, Malakhov actually was disinterested sometimes). There is no doubt that Vladimir was a GREAT talent.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Balej's Dance said:
How's this even close to locked material? It was in response to Whitney being painted as a great kid and elegant player. I like his skillset, he just pulled a questionable move IMO.

What does making cheapshot or beating his girlfriend have to do with his hockey ability and potential? Would it make Jagr a less smooth stickhandler?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Archijerej said:
You may be right but Whitney really reminds Malakhov stilistically. Similar skating style, uses his stick to his advantage, doing everything calmly giving you an almost "lazy" impression (well, Malakhov actually was disinterested sometimes). There is no doubt that Vladimir was a GREAT talent.

Are you sure you watched a young, horse of a defenseman like Malakhov and aren't thinking of someone else? Whitney is definately a great prospect, but he really doesn't have close the talent that Vlad had at his disposal. Everyone forgets just how talented Vlad was since he had such a small drive for the game and played like a slug half the time.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Linus said:
Yeah, Mario is just a whiner too, and greedy, all he cares about is money.
And assembling a team full of whiny, diving, cheap-shot artists. I can see it now, Whitney is a cheap-shot artist because several HF insiders agree. Its a defacto fact.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
What's the matter Penguins? Contributing worthless posts in bunches because your "underappreciated" prospect thread hadn't gotten a post in a day or two?

Are we trying to get this thread locked?

Ric Flair

Feb 27, 2002
Stylin and Profilin
www.surfrider.org
Balej's Dance said:
What's the matter Penguins? Contributing worthless posts in bunches because your "underappreciated" prospect thread hadn't gotten a post in a day or two?

Are we trying to get this thread locked?

No, we are just beginning to understand that all the posters who say guys like Crosby and Lemieux are whiners are correct. Both players are totally worthless and we wish the penguins had nothing to do with either of them.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Linus said:
No, we are just beginning to understand that all the posters who say guys like Crosby and Lemieux are whiners are correct. Both players are totally worthless and we wish the penguins had nothing to do with either of them.

Maybe they will get some sense knocked into them in KC?

langs15

Jan 2, 2006
New Jersey
The flyer fans are the worst and always will be.

Back to topic.......

He is very good but needs abit for expierience for other teams to really ''want'' him..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad