Ryan White

turnbuckle*

Held off the scoresheet once in his past 20 matches, eight points in 2007, 19 goals and 50 points in his last 34 games, a 40-goal, 100-point pace. Not bad for a "checker" indeed.

He has been said to have gained a step in his stride somewhere over the past year, and it's paying off on the scoresheet.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Held off the scoresheet once in his past 20 matches, eight points in 2007, 19 goals and 50 points in his last 34 games, a 40-goal, 100-point pace. Not bad for a "checker" indeed.

He has been said to have gained a step in his stride somewhere over the past year, and it's paying off on the scoresheet.
Last year he looked a bit slow at times, but this year in games his speed looks just fine. He still has that funny "hitch step" when he gets going but never mind, he arrives on time and can hit a tonne!! He's more than a checker, he's always been able to score, it's just now his role and age on the team allow him to showcase his talents. He can score, pass, check, hit or fight, he's the whole package.
If you ask anyone who knows him or has coached him, Whitey has that special knack of being a true natural leader (his whole family is phenomenal), he is going to go on to big things in hockey.
What a steal for the Habs getting him in the third round.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Last year he looked a bit slow at times, but this year in games his speed looks just fine. He still has that funny "hitch step" when he gets going but never mind, he arrives on time and can hit a tonne!! He's more than a checker, he's always been able to score, it's just now his role and age on the team allow him to showcase his talents. He can score, pass, check, hit or fight, he's the whole package.
If you ask anyone who knows him or has coached him, Whitey has that special knack of being a true natural leader (his whole family is phenomenal), he is going to go on to big things in hockey.

I was impressed with what I saw from him at the U-17's, he seems to be the kind of player that does whatever he can to help his team win, block shots, take the body, create offense. He seems really solid along the boards, I have to wonder if at some point he won't end up on the wing.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Does this mean he is comparable to someone like Iginla in terms of play? Probably not as skilled.

turnbuckle*

I was impressed with what I saw from him at the U-17's, he seems to be the kind of player that does whatever he can to help his team win, block shots, take the body, create offense. He seems really solid along the boards, I have to wonder if at some point he won't end up on the wing.

Timmins wondered as much in a conversation we had last week. He's looking like a third line talent at the very least, and with Lappy and Chipchura already well ahead of him at this point on the third-line center depth chart, a trip to the wing might be in order.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Does this mean he is comparable to someone like Iginla in terms of play? Probably not as skilled.
No, I wouldn't say he's as explosive, fast or as naturally skilled as Iginla. But he has the heart and soul that Iginla, Messier, Shanahan have. Some people have said his intensity and leadership remind them of the Sutters.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Timmins wondered as much in a conversation we had last week. He's looking like a third line talent at the very least, and with Lappy and Chipchura already well ahead of him at this point on the third-line center depth chart, a trip to the wing might be in order.

I think he projects better than Chipchura. Remember he played a lot against Chipchura last year and even with the age difference Whitey matched up well, apart from face offs where he struggled. He has more talent than Chipchura and his leadership skills are second to none. You can often judge a prospects character by seeing what his family is like, and the Whites are very, very nice.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Well if Timmins is thinking it then I could see it happening when he turns pro perhaps.

I think he projects better than Chipchura. Remember he played a lot against Chipchura last year and even with the age difference Whitey matched up well, apart from face offs where he struggled. He has more talent than Chipchura and his leadership skills are second to none. You can often judge a prospects character by seeing what his family is like, and the Whites are very, very nice

It's hard to compare leadership skills but the same thing can be said of Chipchura who's been tabbed as a great leader by his teammates at different levels. I got to interview him when he was still with Prince Albert, seems like a great kid. I've seen him a lot in Hamilton and he's been good especially in the defensive zone and on the PK. I could see White having more offensive upside. I was surprised to see him drop in the draft to the 3rd round, glad the Habs traded up to get him, they need more players like him and Chipchura imo.

Rather Gingerly 1*

I thought Bobby Clarke would take White in the first round last year. Because he kind of reminded me of him

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I thought Bobby Clarke would take White in the first round last year. Because he kind of reminded me of him

Yeah..., it does sound like Clarke would like this kid.

Comparisons?

A bit of Clarke?
A bit of Tucker?
A bit of (Garth) Murray? (hopefully more consistent;))

White sounds like a winner (Chipchura, Lapierre...).
Great news for the Habs depth chart with prospects...

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13

Comparisons?

A bit of Clarke?
A bit of Tucker?

well if he grows a few inches, witch would most appreciated by the way! He could be that big offensive right handed scoring center we desperetly need

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
well if he grows a few inches, witch would most appreciated by the way! He could be that big offensive right handed scoring center we desperetly need

No. It's nice to see him tearing it up in Juniors and all, but it's waaaaaaaaay too early to start thinking the guy has a future on a scoring line. Also, that's like a good 4-5 years from now, if White miraculously turned into a scorer at the NHL level, how do we know the team would even need a big, right-handed, center at that point?

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal

He's 6'0, 200 lbs...that's not huuuuuge, but it's definitely not small, no?!

Definitely not comparing, but...Forsberg is (approx.) 6'0, 200lbs, no?

If you have a lot of heart & good willpower (Koivu, Higgins, Parise) you can go very, very far in the NHL...

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Comparisons?

A bit of Clarke?
A bit of Tucker?

floor: Steve Ott ish
ceiling: Darcy Tucker/Ryan Smith ish

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I was really dissapointed that we didn't get Ryan White.

Jared Ramsden

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary
The best comparison I can come up with is a Doug Gilmour type....He's just a scrappy, gritty, intense type of player who makes up for his average quickness with great on ice smarts. He's about as well rounded as they come and is equally adept and threating a pass through the slot or ripping a wrister top shelf. Plays both the PP and PK very well. His work ethic alone will get him to the NHL. He could top out as a #2 centre, but I think he would fit in better as a two way 3rd line center and top penalty killer.

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
His floor is a player who doesn't make it to the NHL.

of course. they asked for comparisons. he brings the good elements of those guys games... sticks up for his teammates has a basketball for a heart like Ott (imo not a bad guy to be compared too- prolific scorer in junior like White- this year anyway and not scared of anyone) and is good around the net like the other two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->