Ryan vs. Schremp Skating

Scout_F

Feb 20, 2006
I read much about skating lack of Bobby Ryan and Robbie Schremp. It looks like Schremp has much problem to take the step to Edmonton because of his skating. What do you think, will Bobby Ryan have the same problem next season or is his skating significant better than Schremp's skating?

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
If anything, I think Ryan's skating might be worse than Schremp's. Schremp isn't a good skater by any stretch of the imagination but Ryan is equally poor. I'm very curious to see how Ryan develops, I'm not high on him simply because he's such a terrible skater and I see him having trouble making the transition to the NHL but he certainly has a high enough skill level to prove me wrong.

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
I read much about skating lack of Bobby Ryan and Robbie Schremp. It looks like Schremp has much problem to take the step to Edmonton because of his skating. What do you think, will Bobby Ryan have the same problem next season or is his skating significant better than Schremp's skating?

I think Schremp is a better skater then Ryan but they play a different type of game. Schremp who is smaller relies more on getting into the open and getting away his good shot. Ryan is more a big power guy ( like bertuzzi ) who can handle the puck in traffic and has pretty good hands. Ryan may also take some time to develop.

I think he is going to be one of the more interesting prospects to come along in sometime in terms of where he was picked and the varying opinions he seems to bring out.

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
I've seen exactly one game schremp has played and 0 games with Bobby Ryan, but from that one game I saw of Schremp, his skating was horrendous.

One example: he had a chance to pickpocket some defender coming out of Albany's defensive zone and go in all alone on a breakaway. All he had to do was get across the blue line laterally and he would have caught the defender (assuming he didn't make the pass) but he looked like he was crab walking through freshly poured concrete. It was bad. But he still ended the game with 2 assists I believe, so in that respect he has been able to overcome his skating deficiencies in Wilkes Barre.

Also, the baby pens have a skating instructor who was a former figure/finesse skating instructor, so his skating should improve over a year or two in WBS.

oilers9799

Mar 29, 2005
When people talk about Schremp's skating ability do they mean that he is slow, or just not fluid. Because players can overcome not being fast (see: Jason Allison), but being a choppy skater can taker longer to overcome.

Sammy*

When people talk about Schremp's skating ability do they mean that he is slow, or just not fluid. Because players can overcome not being fast (see: Jason Allison), but being a choppy skater can taker longer to overcome.
Looks ok style wise but slow & not quick. Imo, harder to overcome than being a choppy skater cause he physically is incapable of getting it done.

Randall Graves*

If anything, I think Ryan's skating might be worse than Schremp's. Schremp isn't a good skater by any stretch of the imagination but Ryan is equally poor. I'm very curious to see how Ryan develops, I'm not high on him simply because he's such a terrible skater and I see him having trouble making the transition to the NHL but he certainly has a high enough skill level to prove me wrong.
Difference is Ryan is a power forward he's not really slow speed wise, all he's got to do is increase his leg strength and most indications are that he is working hard on it, but regardless he has outstanding upper body strength anyways..

babybruin

Oct 28, 2003
vancouver
I had read in another thread that there were concerns about Perry's skating as well, but that the Ducks training staff really helped him to improve it. Could this be the case with Ryan as well?

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
I had read in another thread that there were concerns about Perry's skating as well, but that the Ducks training staff really helped him to improve it. Could this be the case with Ryan as well?

The Ducks have had a history of drafting players with concerns over their skating, such as Lupul, Perry and to a lesser degree Getzlaf. They have a pretty successful track record in that regard, which could be good news for Ryan's future.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I wouldn't worry about Ryan's skating *at all*. It's a non-issue for the NHL, IMO, for the simple reason that his game just isn't about skating. All he needs is to do is improve his strength and balance to enable him to continue his current style against NHL-strength, and IMO that's a reasonable expectation that should be readily achieveable. Plenty of power wingers in the game have lacked straightaway speed and agility, and no doubt Ryan will too. But he will still be effective down low despite that.

Randall Graves*

I wouldn't worry about Ryan's skating *at all*. It's a non-issue for the NHL, IMO, for the simple reason that his game just isn't about skating. All he needs is to do is improve his strength and balance to enable him to continue his current style against NHL-strength, and IMO that's a reasonable expectation that should be readily achieveable. Plenty of power wingers in the game have lacked straightaway speed and agility, and no doubt Ryan will too. But he will still be effective down low despite that.
Yeah, as it stands he'll still be a guy very effective in the offensive zone but I think he will get is balance and such to a respectable level and enable him to be better in all 3 zones. Yes he needs to get better but his upper body strength and puck skills are fantastic for his age.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

Some people didn't think that Perry would be an effective NHLer at all because of his skating, and there were some who went as far as saying he'd be a big time bust, mainly because of the skating. The Ducks staff have done wonders with him.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Some people didn't think that Perry would be an effective NHLer at all because of his skating, and there were some who went as far as saying he'd be a big time bust, mainly because of the skating. The Ducks staff have done wonders with him.

IIRC there were a lot of "reasons" given why Perry wouldn't succeed in the NHL - skating, will get pushed around, dispsy-do moves won't work, etc etc. Shame he didn't listen to all those people ;)

Randall Graves*

IIRC there were a lot of "reasons" given why Perry wouldn't succeed in the NHL - skating, will get pushed around, dispsy-do moves won't work, etc etc. Shame he didn't listen to all those people ;)
Don't forget soft:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->