Ryan Tesink

stlweir

Sep 29, 2008
Rom what I've seen Tesink has speed which you can't teach. He is 6 ft but appears to have a problem putting on weight. From what I've read he puts it all out on the ice eve Ry shift and is feisty for a light weight. Sounds like he could be a good checking winger. Thoughts from anyone who has seen him.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I've only seen him a few times during the Memorial Cup last year, but from what I've read he sounds a lot like the winger form of Scotty Nichol. Full effort, feisty, gamer. I think there's a decent chance he carves himself a roll in the NHL somewhere because he's such a competitor.

h22prelude93

Jan 27, 2010
St.Louis, Mo
Was given this report on Tesink:
He is a heart & soul kinda player, good skater, has very good hockey sense, can be creative with the puck & knows where to go, but 3rd line NHLer would be his plateau (but only if he gains 30 pounds, some muscle, & survives the AHL if he ever gets that far). Good on the penalty kill, & can force & seize an offensive opportunity while on the kill. Is still very slight & puts himself in harms way regularly along the wall, drawing many boarding & hits to the head calls, & I worry that at some point he's going to get himself killed from getting drilled. And everyone tries to drill him as he is a world class chirper (& embellisher if that's a word). It is not unusal to see 2 or 3 opponents trying to get at him after whistles, or in traffic in front of the benches when they are changing on the fly. He is playing mostly on the first line this year as the Seadogs are in a transition year, & he does have the smarts to see the holes for both himself & his teammates & gets himself or the puck there. There will be many teams looking to pick him up at the deadline as he is the type of guy that teammates love & opponents really hate. He is a Saint John boy & I'd hate to see him go, if he's not moved, he'll be captain material next year.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1299611

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I've watched Tesink play probably close to 100 times. He's a speedy winger with good vision. Due to his creativity and high hockey IQ , he is able to make nice plays and picks up alot of assists. He would be considered an" in your face" playmaker but also has a decent shot. He's relentless on the forecheck and uses good stick work to strip oppenents of the puck. He finishes his checks and is a hard worker. Alot of times while describing his play , he often sounds like a trouble maker / fighter in which he isn't. In fact, he only has 5 fighting majors in the past three seasons. Size and strength have always been a concern. I've heard he has a hard time with his body and weight. Although an effective player in the QMJHL and a sought after commodity for the opening trade period, I don't believe his game will translate well to the AHL/NHL. Unfortunately I see his upside being a 3rd-4th line AHLer , will probably end up in the ECHL after junior.

When talking about future 3rd/4th liners in the Blues' system , Yannick Veilleux comes to mind. He has all the tools, size and smarts to get there. With a couple of years in the AHL for seasoning, I can see him being a good bottom six forward.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I've watched Tesink play probably close to 100 times. He's a speedy winger with good vision. Due to his creativity and high hockey IQ , he is able to make nice plays and picks up alot of assists. He would be considered an" in your face" playmaker but also has a decent shot. He's relentless on the forecheck and uses good stick work to strip oppenents of the puck. He finishes his checks and is a hard worker. Alot of times while describing his play , he often sounds like a trouble maker / fighter in which he isn't. In fact, he only has 5 fighting majors in the past three seasons. Size and strength have always been a concern. I've heard he has a hard time with his body and weight. Although an effective player in the QMJHL and a sought after commodity for the opening trade period, I don't believe his game will translate well to the AHL/NHL. Unfortunately I see his upside being a 3rd-4th line AHLer , will probably end up in the ECHL after junior.

When talking about future 3rd/4th liners in the Blues' system , Yannick Veilleux comes to mind. He has all the tools, size and smarts to get there. With a couple of years in the AHL for seasoning, I can see him being a good bottom six forward.

What is it about Tesink's game that makes you think it won't translate to the NHL? Also, what is it Veilleux has that makes you think his game will translate? Thanks as always.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Thanks again as always. If you just want to change you username to WildcatBlues28, we'd all be happy to have you. :naughty:

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
What is it about Tesink's game that makes you think it won't translate to the NHL? Also, what is it Veilleux has that makes you think his game will translate? Thanks as always.

Main issue is size/strength. At six feet tall and 165-175 lbs he's effective in the QMJHL playing against 16-20 year old players but I don't think he'll be strong enough for the pro game. He's not skilled enough overall to be a top 6 NHL forward , and his frame/size/strength isn't cut out for the bottom six role. When I say not skilled enough , I mean he does almost everything good but not great. The only part of his game that's pro calibre ,imo, is his skating/speed. Yannick Veilleux on the other hand is checks in a 6'2" 210 lbs and has brute strength and power. He finished 1st overall in most of the Moncton Wildcats' training camp fitness tests and was the overall most for fit/strongest player to arrive at camp.He's a menace physically and punishes his opponents. He finishes his checks and rarely loses a battle due to his work ethic.He drives to the net and pots alot of goals due to a strong shot. He battles hard and likes to crash the net. His upside would be a Chris Stewart type with more of an edge but if that dosn't work out, he has all the tools to be an effective bottom 6 guy like Ethan Moreau.

Last edited:

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Main issue is size/strength. At six feet tall and 165-175 lbs he's effective in the QMJHL playing against 16-20 year old players but I don't think he'll be strong enough for the pro game. He's not skilled enough overall to be a top 6 NHL forward , and his frame/size/strength isn't cut out for the bottom six role. When I say not skilled enough , I mean he does almost everything good but not great. The only part of his game that's pro calibre ,imo, is his skating/speed. Yannick Veilleux on the other hand is checks in a 6'2" 210 lbs and has brute strength and power. He finished 1st overall in most of the Moncton Wildcats' training camp fitness tests and was the overall most for fit/strongest player to arrive at camp.He's a menace physically and punishes his opponents. He finishes his checks and rarely loses a battle due to his work ethic.He drives to the net and pots alot of goals due to a strong shot. He battles hard and likes to crash the net. His upside would be a Chris Stewart type with more of an edge but if that dosn't work out, he has all the tools to be an effective bottom 6 guy like Ethan Moreau.

Thanks. All these years of watching and following hockey, you just don't get too excited about guys putting up ridiculous numbers in college or juniors. Especially smaller guys. The Blues have a long line of 100 point guys, 50 goal scorers, college stars, and 60 point offensive defensemen that could barely play in the IHL or AHL. I hope you are wrong...but I would venture to say the odds on your assessment are in your favor. Does veilleux skate well enough for the next level? Usually that is the downfall for bigger guys is their skating.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Thanks. All these years of watching and following hockey, you just don't get too excited about guys putting up ridiculous numbers in college or juniors. Especially smaller guys. The Blues have a long line of 100 point guys, 50 goal scorers, college stars, and 60 point offensive defensemen that could barely play in the IHL or AHL. I hope you are wrong...but I would venture to say the odds on your assessment are in your favor. Does veilleux skate well enough for the next level? Usually that is the downfall for bigger guys is their skating.

The only two guys I can think of that fit that are Sejna (spelling) and Sonne.

I also am not sold in Tesink, but I don't know that you can compare him to either player. (Sejna was like 24 his senior year). And Sonne isn't small.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada

Skating isn't his forte but it's not bad. Like most big players , he'll have to continue to improve his skating/foot speed but you'd have to be looking to notice it. He's a good skater but it can be improved.He is a unique skater, his style is different. Instead of long strides , they're fairly choppy. When starting off , it appears he's running. As far as points go in junior and collge ranks , they mean absolutely nothing. I've seen hundreds of players put up great offensive numbers and go nowhere. On the other hand , I see players that don't score much and succeed. This is the case especially in the CHL. One thing about scouting is that it's about projection not what the player is currently doing.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
The only two guys I can think of that fit that are Sejna (spelling) and Sonne.

I also am not sold in Tesink, but I don't know that you can compare him to either player. (Sejna was like 24 his senior year). And Sonne isn't small.

Years ago, it was pretty commonplace. Antoine Bergeron (20+ goals as a d-man), Troy Riddle, Brett Lutes, Colin Hemingway (30+ goals in college), James Desmarais (62g 73a in the Q), Didier Tremblay (70+ point dman), Nicolas bilotto (50 point d man 195pim), Maxim Betts (2-100 pt years), Lee Leslie (100 pt whl remember him especially..great big guy), Bob Lachance (50pts Boston U), Nick Naumenko (40pt Dman North Dakota), Kyle Reeves (67g and 89g in the WHL), Terry Hollinger (85pt dman whl) Jason Ruff (2-100pt whl), Rick Corriveau (4-60pt seasons dman OHL), Denny Felsner (2-40 goal seasons Michigan U) Kind of fun looking at some of these guys I remember getting excited about and seeing play in preseason.

Blues had lots of guys that were going to be stars coming out of college that never quite panned out. For the Tesinks of this world, we all have to remember Doug Gilmour and Cliff Ronning though. Don't rule them out entirely.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Skating isn't his forte but it's not bad. Like most big players , he'll have to continue to improve his skating/foot speed but you'd have to be looking to notice it. He's a good skater but it can be improved.He is a unique skater, his style is different. Instead of long strides , they're fairly choppy. When starting off , it appears he's running. As far as points go in junior and collge ranks , they mean absolutely nothing. I've seen hundreds of players put up great offensive numbers and go nowhere. On the other hand , I see players that don't score much and succeed. This is the case especially in the CHL. One thing about scouting is that it's about projection not what the player is currently doing.

If he did have a shot at making the Blues roster, do you think Sobotka would be a good comparison?

I've had this high hope for Tesink just because of how much heart I've heard he has so I kind of have a soft spot for him, but you are the expert on him here, so I was wondering what player would be a good comparison for him if he did make the pro game.

stlweir

Sep 29, 2008
Good stuff Perry, I remember thinking Denny Felsner was going to be a stud. Don' t forget Tony Hircus(sp?), Sonne, gorgeous George Morrison who never met a corner he liked.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Good stuff Perry, I remember thinking Denny Felsner was going to be a stud. Don' t forget Tony Hircus(sp?), Sonne, gorgeous George Morrison who never met a corner he liked.

I remember Denis Hamel who I really liked. I think Denis Hamel may still be playing around the AHL still. Good size, Tough,...I think Keenan traded him away. He also was a 50 goal scorer on the Junior circuit with a taste of the NHL.

EL Bandito

Mar 29, 2006
Edwardsville, IL
To me when I've watched Tesink play, I can see him developing at the top end to someone comparable to Darren Helm on the wing. Similar size, both great skaters, good defensively and are total pests. Helm is listed at 5'll 192 lbs now, so I think if Tesink gets to 6'0 and around 185-190 lbs that is doable. He's probably around 170 at most right now so we're talking 15-20 lbs. I think over the course of 2-3 years in the AHL that should be ok to expect. But I think about 190 is the highest he'd ever weigh. He does have quite a slight frame.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
To me when I've watched Tesink play, I can see him developing at the top end to someone comparable to Darren Helm on the wing. Similar size, both great skaters, good defensively and are total pests. Helm is listed at 5'll 192 lbs now, so I think if Tesink gets to 6'0 and around 185-190 lbs that is doable. He's probably around 170 at most right now so we're talking 15-20 lbs. I think over the course of 2-3 years in the AHL that should be ok to expect. But I think about 190 is the highest he'd ever weigh. He does have quite a slight frame.

Sounds like me. I'm 6:01 1/2, and no matter how much I lifted, or how much I ate, or how many protein shakes I drank, I never could get above 186 lb. (tall, but small frame)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->