Ryan Suter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancingtree

May 9, 2003
So-Cal
Visit site
Despite his sub-par numbers at Wisconsin and now at Milwaukee in the AHL, Ryan Suter is a highly-touted prospect. I saw him play a week or two ago and he looked lost defensively. (Maybe it was just a bad game).
I am not denying he has skills, I just don't follow him closely enough to know what those skills are. Could someone who knows more about him explain in what areas he will help Nashville in the future? Thanks.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It's important to remember too that he's still only 19. One year removed from high school. He's one of the youngest players in the AHL.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
When did you watch him? He has been out with a shoulder injury for most of the AHL season. In the games I have seen, he looked pretty good. In fact, his defense pairing Hamhuis/Suter dominated. This held true for his play in the WJC's last year, and from word of mouth, in college as well.

X-SHARKIE

I said it before the season, Don't sign Ryan yet. I watched him alot lat year and he didn't appear neccacarily ready for the next jump.

I saw him twice, once in the pre season, and then once vs Chicago in late October when he left the game late in the 2nd.

I wasn't very impressed with him. He looked very tenative and unconfident...which isn't what you want out of a possible #1 defenseman. I didn't see the edge, and ability that I saw in him with Wisconsin.

I think Nashville may have rushed him into the pro's, and I really think he should've been in the NCAA this year again with Wisconsin, were he would've been able to devolope at the right pace.

Kevin Klein who was taken about 30 picks later, looked very calm and poised, and IMO was the better of the to and this was before his Shoulder surgery.

Shouldn't be in the AHL yet. I'll use a good quote from Lou Lamorillo sp? "We want him to drive the bus, not ride it"

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I'm sure I'll be ripped...but I've always thought he was ripped. Coburn and Phaneuf are both worlds better, and there are some other names who are close to Suter's level.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'm not sure what the problem is here. Suter's played 10 games at the AHL level, has three points and is a +6. Not world beating, but very solid for a rookie defenseman who is coming off an injury. What are people expecting anyway? Limited viewing(s) and an inaccurate understanding of the style of game he plays isn't going to get a good read on what Suter is all about. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
PhoPhan said:
I'm sure I'll be ripped...but I've always thought he was ripped. Coburn and Phaneuf are both worlds better, and there are some other names who are close to Suter's level.

Worlds better in what regard?

bruins4777*

Ryan's sub-par numbers in college? He was actually pretty damn good in college. Ryan's game is based on his head. He knows the game very well and his sense is great. He also has great physical and other raw talents.

FYI you can't judge a guy by one game. And judging people by stats are also hard to do, especially defensemen.

X-SHARKIE

Rabid Ranger said:
I'm not sure what the problem is here. Suter's played 10 games at the AHL level, has three points and is a +6. Not world beating, but very solid for a rookie defenseman who is coming off an injury. What are people expecting anyway? Limited viewing(s) and an inaccurate understanding of the style of game he plays isn't going to get a good read on what Suter is all about. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Hey, I"m not off his wagon yet, but I wasn't impressed with the way Nashville handled his devolopment

I still see him as a more skilled Adam Foote which is a top pairing defenseman.

bruins4777*

X-SHARKIE said:
Hey, I"m not off his wagon yet, but I wasn't impressed with the way Nashville handled his devolopment

I'm thinking gary suter, but bigger.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I think the big mistake being made here, and it's a popular one, is that Suter is an offensive defenseman, rather than a two-way guy. If he's not putting up big numbers, people think he's not playing well. He missed most of the season so far with an early shoulder injury..and has been used in a primarily defensive role, paired with Brad Tiley on Milwaukee's second pairing. From Milwaukee fans(who shared the belief that he needed another year, at the beginning of the season,) he's played some OUTSTANDING games...and he's played some shaky games. What else do you expect out of a rookie? For the record...Klein has been a healthy scratch for a couple of games, after a good start to the season. Like Rabid Ranger said...he's 19. DancingTree has long been quick to try to paint Suter with a bad brush, but I feel pretty confident in saying there's nothing to worry about.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Furthermore, I think..if I were to diagnose the problem...if there is one...it's that it seems like he's trying to do too much and maybe putting too much pressure on himself. in time, he'll calm down..and when he does...so will his game.

X-SHARKIE

nomorekids said:
Furthermore, I think..if I were to diagnose the problem...if there is one...it's that it seems like he's trying to do too much and maybe putting too much pressure on himself. in time, he'll calm down..and when he does...so will his game.

BINGO! from the two games I saw, he just look tenative and unconfident. He played a safe solid game, but he didn't play his game, which is what makes him special.

He'll come around.

BTW: Take my grumble about him leaving Wisconsin early with some salt because i'm a big bucky fan ;)

dancingtree

May 9, 2003
So-Cal
Visit site
nomorekids said:
DancingTree has long been quick to try to paint Suter with a bad brush, but I feel pretty confident in saying there's nothing to worry about.
Did you even read my post that started this thread? Suter is ranked very highly by almost every hockey publication as well as our beloved hockeysfuture. His offensive numbers have not been spectacular, and in the game I saw him play with Milwaukee was very shaky on defense. So, I asked a question about him while admitting I don't know much about his game. How is that trying to "paint Suter with a bad brush?" I actually like Nashville a lot and am trying to figure out how Suter fits in with the depth the Predators already have on defense.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
dancingtree said:
Did you even read my post that started this thread? Suter is ranked very highly by almost every hockey publication as well as our beloved hockeysfuture. His offensive numbers have not been spectacular, and in the game I saw him play with Milwaukee was very shaky on defense. So, I asked a question about him while admitting I don't know much about his game. How is that trying to "paint Suter with a bad brush?" I actually like Nashville a lot and am trying to figure out how Suter fits in with the depth the Predators already have on defense.

I think the point is SUTER HAS PLAYED TEN GAMES AT THE AHL LEVEL. Don't you think he deserves a bit more time before his game ripped to shreds and he's pronounced a bust? I'm not saying you're doing that, but patience isn't a virtue at Hockey's Future.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
X-SHARKIE said:

His development? He's played ten games! Let's give him some more time.....

CorneliusBennet

Nov 29, 2004
dancingtree said:
Despite his sub-par numbers at Wisconsin and now at Milwaukee in the AHL, Ryan Suter is a highly-touted prospect. I saw him play a week or two ago and he looked lost defensively. (Maybe it was just a bad game).
I am not denying he has skills, I just don't follow him closely enough to know what those skills are. Could someone who knows more about him explain in what areas he will help Nashville in the future? Thanks.

Personally, I completely understand your post and where you are coming from. I've seen him 4 or 5 times so far this year and he's been sort of in and out in his play. I attribute it to being young. There may be an attitude issue there, but I won't speculate beyond suggesting it's a possibility. As you mentioned when you watch him play you can see the skills. Nice skating stride, good size, etc. I think as the year wears on and as he progresses professionally if you don't start to see signs of him really putting together his skill set and using his head then you will hear legit questions but as of now it's *way* too soon, IMO. I have seen him play some very strong shifts, by the way, of the kind where you do not question why he's so highly thought of. He's like a lot of young dmen in the AHL this year, they clearly have a lot of talent but whether they can put it all together or not is the question. None of us have a crystal ball. (although on a side-note not related to hockey, I did go to high school with a Crystal Ball. Unfortunate name for a female, really.)

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
PhoPhan said:
What? You don't think Coburn or Phaneuf will have the EXACT same struggles adjusting that Suter is having right now? Which is pretty much what EVERY other young defenseman has gone through once they hit the pros? Phaneuf will probably look more like Mike Komisarek rather than Scott Stevens in his first pro games, and you'll have someone making a similar thread like this for him too.

You'll be in for a huge surprise.

Anyone who didn't expect an adjustment period or some struggles early on for Suter (or any prospect, especially defense prospects in their first pro games), might've been expecting waaay too much. There's not a kid out there who is gonna step in and dominate anymore, not even Crosby, IMO.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
dancingtree said:

you're saying that..last year...you didn't start quite a few threads pointing out that suter wasn't putting up huge numbers? or around draft time...you weren't guaranteeing thelen would be better?

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
X-SHARKIE said:
I didn’t mean his development in the AHL. I meant taking him out of College after one year.

From everything I've read, that had more to do with Ryan and his parents' wishes than Nashville's. They already had a formidable defense in Milwaukee, and Nashville generally likes to keep their NCAA prospects in school until they're finished(Haydar,Hutchinson,Hall, Betts, McKenna). The Suter family pushed hard for the deal, feeling that the learning curve would be better for Ryan with the Admirals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad