Confirmed with Link: Ryan Suter to the Stars (4 years, $3.65M AAV)

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I forgot @CapFriendly is actually on HF. Maybe they'll drop by and offer an explanation. I only even knew that was in the MOU because it's listed on Cap Friendly's Buyout FAQ.

That's why I said it's weird. There's a little alert at the top of the page when you use the buyout calculator on Suter saying it's not eligible for savings because it's a 35+ contract. That alert links you back to their Buyout FAQ for the explanation which lists those 2 conditions saying it wouldn't be a 35+ deal.

I wonder if this was the first time that particular clause was used by a team? I don't remember any 35+ guys signing multi-year deals after the MOU.

Perry's with TB also could be bought out because Y1 to Y2 is the same.

CapFriendly

Mar 13, 2020
I forgot @CapFriendly is actually on HF. Maybe they'll drop by and offer an explanation. I only even knew that was in the MOU because it's listed on Cap Friendly's Buyout FAQ.

That's why I said it's weird. There's a little alert at the top of the page when you use the buyout calculator on Suter saying it's not eligible for savings because it's a 35+ contract. That alert links you back to their Buyout FAQ for the explanation which lists those 2 conditions saying it wouldn't be a 35+ deal.

I wonder if this was the first time that particular clause was used by a team? I don't remember any 35+ guys signing multi-year deals after the MOU.

Perry's with TB also could be bought out because Y1 to Y2 is the same.

We've always listed any contract signed when the player meets the age requirement for 35+ as a 35+ contract, including one year contracts.

As for the buyout, it will be updated to account for contracts that no longer meet the 35+ buyout terms as stated in the MOU to display the buyout values correctly.

Perry's contract has a signing bonus in year 2 so the 35+ buyout rules apply to it

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
This will basically like donating the Norris to Miro.

I'm a long time follower of Suter and knowing how crazy Karlsson & Methot combo was... There was nothing wrong with Oleksiak overall, but it's hard to see this contract as anything else as an amazing fit.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Wild fan dropping by to ask what your impressions of Suter have been so far. Thanks!

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
He has been good second pairing guy, perhaps slightly over played in the defensive zone/PK because Hakanpaa hasn't lived up to expectations so we need another guy in those situations.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Wild fan dropping by to ask what your impressions of Suter have been so far. Thanks!
He’s still able to make nice passes in the offensive zone and get some good shots on net, but his lack of speed shows up a lot the other way. It especially stands out when he’s trying to backcheck after a pinch doesn’t go well, and he can’t get back into the play the way he used to.

In other words, he’s fine as a second pair guy.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX

andy-rono-ryan-suter.png

He's been exactly what Jim Nill wanted: a player who is more resume than on-ice contributor. He doesn't do any one thing well, but he Knows What It Takes To Win. Or something.

Speaking of, Suter hasn't been outright trash, although his footspeed gets exposed in the corners. But his usage IS trash: more even strength icetime per game than Klingberg (who has struggled too, granted), and more power play minutes per game than Heiskanen. Should have known he'd become the 2020 Blake Comeau of the blueline.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
The thing that makes me nervous is that I expected him to be better than this so far. We conceded two years of crappy Suter, and I assumed we would get one good and one OK year out of him on his 4 year contract. Instead, we're already at the 'just OK' step, and it could get worse very quickly. Time will tell if this is just an adjustment thing, usage, or if we get what we get, but I'm not very thrilled with this deal so far.

For the record, Suter can't be the Comeau of this blueline, because Lindell is already playing. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Elysian

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Underwhelmed

It's a shame so many guys on this roster lack any sort of speed. When 4 out of the 5 guys on the ice at any given time all lack mobility you're gonna get taken advantage of a lot. That causes this roster to equal less than the sum of it's parts. Kind of a shame Suter contributes to this roster deficiency, I think he could be better if surrounded by more good skaters. Nevertheless, 4 years was just too long from the start. Would like a mulligan.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Oops. Sorry. Suter is tied for power play TOI per game with Heiskanen (they do play on the same unit, after all). Which is still a bad excuse. Dallas has a great PP, but I still think two d-men is a lameduck idea. Which is crazy to think: Miro's unit is outperforming Klingberg's unit, yet Miro plays with Benn and Seguin.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad