Confirmed with Link: Ryan Suter to the Stars (4 years, $3.65M AAV)

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I hope with a smaller work load he can hold up most of the contract . He still played insane minutes in Minny last season.

Reactions: Sports2

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Based on what other dmen got this deal makes sense now. Just wish he was 4 years or so younger

Not so far off a really good season (19-20)

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Based on what other dmen got this deal makes sense now. Just wish he was 4 years or so younger

Not so far off a really good season (19-20)

If he was 4 years younger he'd be getting double the money at the very least.

Reactions: LT

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas
I approve. $$ and terms are skewed towards the player, but overall a solid deal.
I don't think the AAV is skewed towards the player. But the terms is. And how the money is allocated is. It's seems back loaded.

NVM. It's flat so that he isn't subject to cap recapture if he retires. I like it a lot more now.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I don't think the AAV is skewed towards the player. But the terms is. And how the money is allocated is. It's seems back loaded.

NVM. It's flat so that he isn't subject to cap recapture if he retires. I like it a lot more now.

Recapture penalty was just for those insanely long deals the league made illegal.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Seeing the term and $$ David Savard got, I wonder if we'd have pursued him instead. Much younger, similar sized, and a right shot whom would do well with Heiskanen. I guess they were looking for leadership in the room with Suter?

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
i don’t think this is 35+ contract now

Paging @BG44

Need a wrinkle brain on this

It is not

It's weird ... CapFriendly currently has it as a 35+ if you click the buyout calculator.

It's not though. I looked it up in the MOU to be sure.

35+ Year Old Rule for Cap Counting

CBA §50.5(d)(i)(B)(5) shall have no application to a multi-year SPC that has: (1) total compensation (Player Salary and Bonuses) that is either the same as or increases from one League Year to the immediately subsequent League Year, and (2) a Signing Bonus, if any, that is payable in the first year of the SPC only

Collective Bargaining Agreement

Suter's checks both boxes. Salary increase from Y1 to Y2, Y2 to Y3, and it stays the same from Y3 to Y4. He's only paid a signing bonus in Y1.

The structure is the only reason I've turned around on the whole 4-year deal thing. Back-loaded deals are cleaner on buyouts. You don't end up with god-awful cap hits for a few years like you do with the front-loaded deals (see Suter's current buyout), and if Suter wants to can't just coast into retirement like he could have with the previous deal paying him peanuts. If he's motivated to get the check, he's going to have to perform.

It's structured by Nill/Janko in the best possible way to salvage meeting a guy's demand for 4 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->