Player Discussion Ryan Strome

JC704

Jan 6, 2012
was told his QO would be much higher . . . and Georgiev would be traded so Hank could stay . . . and ADA/Chytil is enough for Eichel . . . and the Rangers would have no concerns . . . and Dog had better ratings than me

LMAO AND DOG HAD BETTER RATINGS THAN ME

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Dog? Ratings?

F0786C24-5EAB-42F0-BDC8-B7470CFE5436.jpeg

Been doing dis fa 30 years . . . Ya have ta step up ya gama

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

Bump. No way he's getting more than $5M...

Rangers would probably walk away and good luck to Ryan getting 5 million plus in this economic climate.
I mean unless the Rangers are really low balling him (3-3.5 million range) why can't they just agree on a 4.25ish per year for 1-2 years? It would be a win win. I mean what is he gonna go play in ottawa or detroit for an extra 250-500k and put up 35 points?

Reactions: egelband

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
take the 3.5 and Hartemi will throw em a mil under the table as a thank you for the workout of having to carry him around all season.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I feared this schmuck is looking for 5.5ish ... lmao

But we kinda low-balled him with 3.6, yikes
They kind of have to, since often the arbitrator just splits the difference. Am I right about that? It’s not a one-or-the-other thing and often they just decide on the midway point. So it makes sense for Strome to go high and the Rangers to go low.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Strome was right to ask for $5 million+, the arbitration number will come in closer to his ask, and we kinda sorta really need to keep him, because we have some of the worst center depth in the league. It is practically non existent.

He also really needs the Rangers right now too because no team is going to give him anything more than $4 million on the open market, and no other team is offering a prime roster spot with Panarin as a linemate.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
i had been unclear about the Arbitration resulting in 1 or 2 year contracts.
I found this at puckpedia
as Strome is now 27, i believe he is eligible to UFA next off-season, and so, per below, only eligible for 1 year contract, if decided by the Arb

Arbitration | Puckpedia
The arbitrator can only award a 1 or 2 year contract.
The party that did not elect the arbitration selects the term (if the player selected arbitration, the team selects 1 or 2 year term).
Players that are only 1 year away from being a UFA can only have a 1 year contract awarded.
New in 2020 MOU: Agreements can be reached between the teams and players only prior to the arbitration hearing commencing. Previously, an agreement could be made prior to award being delivered.
For Player elected arbitration, the Team can walk away if the award is $4,538,958M or more in 2020. If they walk away, the player becomes a UFA.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

Bump. No way he's getting more than $5M...

Feels like a higher than average gap.

The annoying tendency is for the arbitrator to split the difference, if he does that the AAV will be high enough for the Rangers to say no.

Hard to see Strome getting much more than the 3.6 million in today's UFA market with how tight cap is- so I could see him accepting that eventually.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

The annoying tendency is for the arbitrator to split the difference, if he does that the AAV will be high enough for the Rangers to say no.

Hard to see Strome getting much more than the 3.6 million in today's UFA market with how tight cap is- so I could see him accepting that eventually.
From what we've seen this year though is that the arbitrator is taking into account a flat cap.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
What I am wondering is the walk-away number Gorton and JD have in mind. Is it the exact minimum as per the rule or internally are they saying, "Over $5MM, we walk away. $5MM or under, we accept it."?

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Arbitrators tend to settle somewhere in the middle between the player and the team. Don't be surprised it's 4.7. He's obviously going to push his production numbers for this year's justification, just as easily the rangers can push the difference in his numbers when he played with breadman and when he didn't. Those numbers are stark, in the team can argue that paying him anything more than 5 is essentially paying bonus money for how good bread man was this year. I think 4.7 would be close to what NYR can live with, but it will be interesting to see if there's a number that would have them walk away. The fact they haven't been able to make a trade for another center may prevent them from walking away from anything that isn't too outlandish.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

I'm annoyed with the whole arbitration process. I used to think the idea was to have it as "either / or" so that arbitrator would decide the award based on which side was closer to his perceived FMV. In this way I'm sure the gap would be a lot closer. Since the arbitrators started to split the difference, it became a guessing exercise - where the other party would come in and where to set up you offer accordingly. This is not what I'd call a good faith process it was supposed to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harbour Dog

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
What I am wondering is the walk-away number Gorton and JD have in mind. Is it the exact minimum as per the rule or internally are they saying, "Over $5MM, we walk away. $5MM or under, we accept it."?

It could still be Gorton playing mind games in advance of going to arbitration but if assume that Gorton was genuinely concerned based how long it took him to qualify Strome and this $3.6m offer in arbitration I'm guessing his cutoff line is right there around $4.5m. From Strome's perspective would it be realistic to get $5m if he were to become UFA on the open market?

Strome's $5.7m ask was truly surprising to me (as a risky business). I'd bet that it would be easier for the Rangers to find an adequate replacement for Strome to center Panarin than for Strome to find a place that pays him more than what the Rangers are willing AND produce at 0.8 ppg clip to get his next long UFA contract.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I'm annoyed with the whole arbitration process. I used to think the idea was to have it as "either /or" so that arbitrator would decide the award based on which side was closer to his perceived FMV. In this way I'm sure the gap would be a lot closer. Since the arbitrators started to split the difference, it became a guessing exercise - where the other party would come in and where to set up you offer accordingly. This is not what I'd call a good faith process it was supposed to be.
Baseball is either or.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->