Ryan Strome as a junior

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Strome has pretty much turned into the exact player I anticipated when we drafted him, elite playmaker, OK goal scorer, and not especially big or physical. Basically, the same positive and negatives that we read about when he was in the CHL.

What has taken be by surprise are his defensive abilities. He's actually been one of the better defensive forwards in NY, has a team high plus 13, and is used in every critical defensive situation. He'll never be Pavel Datsyuk, elite defensively, or anything like that but he's shown a fairly determined two-way game.

So, here is my question: In terms of defensive abilities and two-way play, what was he like as a junior? Did he show any signs of this kind of game back then?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
In his draft year he didn't but after he was drafted he started concentrating on playing a complete 200ft 2way game...

However, I am absolutely dumbfounded on how good he has been defensively and so early on into his career. Also, he has not sacrificed anything offensively while being dedicated to defense. That's the best part.

those extra years in junior and the AHL were very beneficial to Strome imo.

Exhibit A on how to develop a player properly.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
In his draft year he didn't but after he was drafted he started concentrating on playing a complete 200ft 2way game...

However, I am absolutely dumbfounded on how good he has been defensively and so early on into his career. Also, he has not sacrificed anything offensively while being dedicated to defense. That's the best part.

those extra years in junior and the AHL were very beneficial to Strome imo.

Exhibit A on how to develop a player properly.

Hence why Baertschi has struggled as of late, but is starting to get back on track. Not trying to turn this into a Flames' thread, but I admire at how the Isles' have developed their players.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Hence why Baertschi has struggled as of late, but is starting to get back on track. Not trying to turn this into a Flames' thread, but I admire at how the Isles' have developed their players.

Excluding Nino and Bailey the Isles have done a decent job...

Nelson Strome Hamonic de Hann Cizikas were all developed pretty well.

Reinhart and Pulock are following and hopefully Dal Colle has well.

eklunds source

Jul 23, 2008
Ed Snider's basement
What has taken be by surprise are his defensive abilities. He's actually been one of the better defensive forwards in NY, has a team high plus 13, and is used in every critical defensive situation. He'll never be Pavel Datsyuk, elite defensively, or anything like that but he's shown a fairly determined two-way game.
I'm not debating that Strome is good defensively -- I certainly haven't watched him enough, and there's nowhere near enough data to have a clue how the Isles players perform with / without him... but honestly. The best +/- of Colorado Defensemen is Nate Guenin. Because he has the largest PDO. Absolutely NOTHING to do with Guenin's defensive ability; in fact, I'm sure that most Avs fans will tell you he's a 5th/6th/7th defenseman kind of guy. The worst New Jersey forward in +/-? Patrick Elias, who has a strong reputation for 2-way play. Weird coincidence, he has the worst PDO on the team.

75% of a players +/- comes from PDO (the correlation between PDO and 5v5 goals for/against) and PDO is basically luck.

My apologies, I'm on a campaign to scrub +/- from the planet. It's actually worse than useless -- it's directly harmful to player evaluation. Stats guys don't like it, anti-stats guys (Brian Burke) don't like it, and it really needs to go away.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I'm not debating that Strome is good defensively -- I certainly haven't watched him enough, and there's nowhere near enough data to have a clue how the Isles players perform with / without him... but honestly. The best +/- of Colorado Defensemen is Nate Guenin. Because he has the largest PDO. Absolutely NOTHING to do with Guenin's defensive ability; in fact, I'm sure that most Avs fans will tell you he's a 5th/6th/7th defenseman kind of guy. The worst New Jersey forward in +/-? Patrick Elias, who has a strong reputation for 2-way play. Weird coincidence, he has the worst PDO on the team.

75% of a players +/- comes from PDO (the correlation between PDO and 5v5 goals for/against) and PDO is basically luck.

My apologies, I'm on a campaign to scrub +/- from the planet. It's actually worse than useless -- it's directly harmful to player evaluation. Stats guys don't like it, anti-stats guys (Brian Burke) don't like it, and it really needs to go away.

Yeah, I think Darth was pointing out his defensive strength from observing him play more so than justifying it with +/-.

IMO +/- is almost irrelevant. Strome has been good defensively and has been killing penalties to boot...On a team with solid penalty killers/defensive forwards in Nielsen Grabner Nelson Cizikas Kulemin and Grabovski, Strome has solidified himself among them as one of the Isles Better defensive forwards...

The thing is, us Isles fans were expecting an offensive wiz(which he is) with not so much on the defensive side....its odd that his early scouting reports did not show he ha these defensive capabilities in his game. especially at just 21 and at the highest level...

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Strome has pretty much turned into the exact player I anticipated when we drafted him, elite playmaker, OK goal scorer, and not especially big or physical. Basically, the same positive and negatives that we read about when he was in the CHL.

So, here is my question: In terms of defensive abilities and two-way play, what was he like as a junior? Did he show any signs of this kind of game back then?

I really think Strome has very good goal scoring ability, but he is still getting acclimated to the NHL level. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he is a 30 goal scorer a few times in his career. He has a great shot, he just hasn't used it as much as he probably should.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
He seems to me like a Derek Stepan clone, with the potential to be slightly better. That's a good thing for the Islanders.

He is a much better skater than Stepan. He reminds me a lot of Giroux, I don't think he will ever get to that level, but he plays the game in a very similar manner.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Excluding Nino and Bailey the Isles have done a decent job...

Nelson Strome Hamonic de Hann Cizikas were all developed pretty well.

Reinhart and Pulock are following and hopefully Dal Colle has well.

You will have those couple that don't develop well enough as you hoped, but you make that up with your late rounders developing properly.

entropism

May 8, 2011
New Jersey
Didn't Strome's draft analysis say he had some booming slapshot? If so, I haven't seen it. I could also be remembering wrong...

Edit: Can't find much about this at all, I could have just imagined it all. Either way, I've been absolutely thrilled with Strome's development so far.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Didn't Strome's draft analysis say he had some booming slapshot? If so, I haven't seen it. I could also be remembering wrong...

Edit: Can't find much about this at all, I could have just imagined it all. Either way, I've been absolutely thrilled with Strome's development so far.

He does, he doesn't use it nearly enough...Kid can flat out rip it...

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site

You don't have to apologize for raising thoughtful concerns.

+/- is NOT a meaningless stat. Its just a stat you have to take with a grain of salt. You should no what situations a player is used in. I do think it is meaningful that a kid gets sent out night after night in key defensive situations and is still +13 (or whatever it is today) while other more experienced players on the team who are not in defensive roles have minus ratings.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
In his last year of JR's he really focused on a 2 way game.

He was really good on the PK for Niagara and during the WJC the year he was on team Canada so I am not surprised he is competent defender in the nhl now too.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
So impressed with Strome's 2 way game. He will be one of our most important players over the next 5 years and will climb the scoring charts.

Future 1st liner.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee

He used it a few times more last year, and he has an absolute cannon. On the PP He really should position himself on the left FO dot and let those one timers go a la Stammer and OV

Last edited:

startainfection*

Marty St. Louis esque playmaker if he stays on the wing

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
strome is a monster, he's on nobody's radar now but in a few years he'll make pierre blush

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
The Claude Giroux comparison is close.
Both smallish guys who can find open ice and control the flow of play, great vision and eye/hand coordination. Strome has a better shot, could eventually play at close to 200 lbs.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
He'll never be Pavel Datsyuk, elite defensively, or anything like that but he's shown a fairly determined two-way game.

I just want to point out that people were saying the same thing about Pavel Datsyuk when Pavel Datsyuk was Strome's age.

(Not that Strome IS going to be the next Pavel Datsyuk, just that Pavel Datsyuk kind of sucked at defense when he first came to America)

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
I just want to point out that people were saying the same thing about Pavel Datsyuk when Pavel Datsyuk was Strome's age.

(Not that Strome IS going to be the next Pavel Datsyuk, just that Pavel Datsyuk kind of sucked at defense when he first came to America)

Nobody in NA knew much about Datsyuk at all at Strome's age. But I know that's not your point. :D

I do like the comparison though, which really has to do with commitment and coachability. Strome appears to have both. He's under the tutelage of Nielsen, who is exactly the right guy for Strome to learn under, and the reason why Frans won't be available in trades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad