Ryan Stanton Appreciation Thread

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Corrado will probably stay in the minors until Gillis pulls the trigger on a trade to bring in a top-six forward. (with Bieksa, Edler or Hammer going)

Don't they all have NTCs?

I'm still worried about bringing in a top 6 if they have to play with kes because it seems like kes is more of the problem. If we can keep Kes with at least one sedin then that might work though.

jftam

Jun 28, 2013
I loved Diduck. Great wheels, aggressive hitter, and super low expectations thus a pleasant surprise. If he had any accuracy on his shot he'd have been an all star. But as it was, he was a really good piece for the Canucks on their early 90s rebuilt. Quinn was flipping picks for Diduck, Lumme, Dirk... he got a little cocky with it though and gambled that he could replace Ronning and Adams and Brown, and then the team went to pieces.

Diduck was awesome. I loved him because he would punish any opposing forwards that came near or stood in front of the net. I haven't really seen that mean streak from Stanton yet, but still impressed with him thus far.

IIRC Diduck left because his wife wanted to move back to the States.
Brown, well...
Quinn screwed up royally when he let Ronning leave as a FA. He had great chemistry with Mogilny and we couldn't find a center for Mogilny after he left.

Tanevian*

Diduck was awesome. I loved him because he would punish any opposing forwards that came near or stood in front of the net. I haven't really seen that mean streak from Stanton yet, but still impressed with him thus far.

His AHL time certainly was much more aggressive. i am glad he's not trying to do too much 3 weeks in.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Don't they all have NTCs?

I'm still worried about bringing in a top 6 if they have to play with kes because it seems like kes is more of the problem. If we can keep Kes with at least one sedin then that might work though.

We could load up on centers like sj. Bring in a 2C.

D.sedin h.sedin Kesler
Higgins _____ burrows
Booth Schroeder Hansen
Santorelli Richardson kassian

If a center goes down we have santorelli who can move to a bottom 6C role Kesler to do it in the top 6. With burrows/booth/Hansen/kassian as wingers who can move up in lines and then weise comes in on the 4th line.

member 105785

Why didn't we move Hodgson, Raymond, Ballard/Bieksa + 1sts for Weber even if we didn't couldn't offer sheet Turris? Gillis was willing to go for a "lesser" centre in Pahlsson. Seems just highly unlikely that this was on the table for Weber out of all the players.

If it were though and the moves went through, it would be a coup on our behalf. Imagine Weber patrolling our blueline with Turris on our third line...

This was before Hodgson nagged his way out of VAN, he still had high value to VAN and he would need to be replaced by someone just as good/young/valuable

Huh, interesting... and they needed their own 3rd rounder back to offer sheet Turris? At least that's how I remember it from all the Weber discussion at the time.

Turris would have been offer sheeted in the 1st + 3rd range and FLA got VAN's 2011 3rd for Higgins so ANA had to settle for the 2012 3rd

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
Diduck was awesome. I loved him because he would punish any opposing forwards that came near or stood in front of the net.

Occasionally he'd also punish forwards that were skating up the ice. With nasty pitchfork style spears to the groin hahaha. My most lasting memory of him. I think all the cameras missed it too, so nobody knew why there a guy writhing in pain on the ice

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Turris would have been offer sheeted in the 1st + 3rd range and FLA got VAN's 2011 3rd for Higgins so ANA had to settle for the 2012 3rd

Do you know why the Ducks backed out? To think that Turris and Weber might have been ours...

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
he's been a solid number 6 guy for the nucks. loved it when he pushed phaneuf away. wanted to drop the gloves as well.

Basso

Dec 11, 2008
This guy should get a trot on one of the PP units, watching him closely during the Phoenix game I saw a very Duncan Keith like skating and moving in his zone with the puck. Call me delusional but he's really the best #6 Dman we've had for a long time.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
This guy should get a trot on one of the PP units, watching him closely during the Phoenix game I saw a very Duncan Keith like skating and moving in his zone with the puck. Call me delusional but he's really the best #6 Dman we've had for a long time.

I agree. Hard to believe this guy was available on the waiver wire. He's strong, has good mobility, and doesn't panic with the puck. He's young with room to grow, as well.

Hammer Time

May 3, 2011
Not sure why the Hawks kept Sheldon Brookbank on their roster over Stanton, but it's worked out pretty well for us so I won't complain.

Not only that, they kept Mike Kostka over him. The same Kostka that Leafs fans cursed over and over last season. I'm not complaining.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Not only that, they kept Mike Kostka over him. The same Kostka that Leafs fans cursed over and over last season. I'm not complaining.

Kostka might be okay in a depth role on their bottom pairing. Really though, I don't think he was ready to play on the top pair in Toronto as a rookie - that's probably more on the Leafs' depth than his play.

I think I'd take Stanton over Brookbank in any case. Really like what he's shown so far.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Loved the fact that Stanton immediately beat the piss out of Desjardins for giving Lou that cheap-ass snow shower.

Yes, I liked that as well.

Also, he made a quick pass to Kesler in his own zone that had me almost clapping. So deft and accurate, showing poise. He's quite a find.

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
Really like his play and finally got to see some of his fighting skills tonight.

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
Incredible pickup. Loving Stanton more each and every game.

The Canucks have gotten all their defensemen out of nowhere.

Hamhuis,Garrison,Tanev -free agent signings.
Edler -3rd round
Bieksa -5th round
Stanton -waiver wire.

Hats off to the Nucks considering how quality they all are.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
The Canucks have gotten all their defensemen out of nowhere.

Hamhuis,Garrison,Tanev -free agent signings.
Edler -3rd round
Bieksa -5th round
Stanton -waiver wire.

Hats off to the Nucks considering how quality they all are.

Two promising d prospects are also late round picks in Corrado and Hutton. Not sure why teams waste 1st round picks on defenseman(outside of total studs that are usually snatched up in the Top 10) when its so hard to project development of a 17 yr old defenseman.

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Yes, I liked that as well.

Also, he made a quick pass to Kesler in his own zone that had me almost clapping. So deft and accurate, showing poise. He's quite a find.

I remember that play. He was surrounded by two Sharks behind and to the left of the net. He passed it between them with a neat backhander to Kesler who was wide open. :handclap:

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Two promising d prospects are also late round picks in Corrado and Hutton. Not sure why teams waste 1st round picks on defenseman(outside of total studs that are usually snatched up in the Top 10) when its so hard to project development of a 17 yr old defenseman.

There are great D outside the top 10 who are first rounders too. Just look at Maata on the Penguins.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad