Ryan Stanton Appreciation Thread

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
ohlund was second in calder voting to samsonov, i think? ****ing bruins.

anyways, stanton is a long ways away from getting a single calder vote. think you guys might be getting a bit carried away

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary

anyways, stanton is a long ways away from getting a single calder vote. think you guys might be getting a bit carried away

You're right. But on a completely unrelated note, I think we've found the third left handed D-man that Yzerman's been looking for for Socchi.

How Ya Drouin

12/08/13 GM GamesRIP
Apr 24, 2013
Ontario

Lol we don't expect him to get any votes. Just dreaming about him getting that recognition :(

If he reaches 20 points while playing like this all year that'd be fantastic.

Tanevian*

Phew, thanks for injecting some common sense into what was clearly a serious debate over Stanchion's Calder status.

My guess is SJ media have already sent in their votes.

Yammer

Oct 22, 2002
Republic of East Van
I am going to say it: Gerald Diduck lite.

I loved Diduck. Great wheels, aggressive hitter, and super low expectations thus a pleasant surprise. If he had any accuracy on his shot he'd have been an all star. But as it was, he was a really good piece for the Canucks on their early 90s rebuilt. Quinn was flipping picks for Diduck, Lumme, Dirk... he got a little cocky with it though and gambled that he could replace Ronning and Adams and Brown, and then the team went to pieces.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I loved Diduck. Great wheels, aggressive hitter, and super low expectations thus a pleasant surprise. If he had any accuracy on his shot he'd have been an all star. But as it was, he was a really good piece for the Canucks on their early 90s rebuilt. Quinn was flipping picks for Diduck, Lumme, Dirk... he got a little cocky with it though and gambled that he could replace Ronning and Adams and Brown, and then the team went to pieces.

If Stanchion turned into Diduck or even a Diduck-lite, I'd be over the moon.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Impressive play since the first game of the season, can't ask more from your number 6 guy. He's very patient with the puck and makes very smooth plays. Apparently he can scrap too!

I thought he deserved on of these.

Thank you Blackhawks :handclap:

Also 4 points on the season already.

one pt in the last three games.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I like that Stanton was paired with bieksa in practice. It's a good "cop" pairing that can also push the puck up the ice. If Stantons play isn't a mirage, he really bolsters our blueline depth.

Now Torts just needs to get Garrison back with Hamhuis and Tanev back with Edler and he'll have things right.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006

Losing Adams and Courtnall spelled the end. They were solid players for a number of years after they left Vancouver.

member 105785

Where's this from? Never heard that before.

Speculation based on wanting to make Weber an offer sheet.

it's more than speculation, I have it on good authority, and no it wasn't for a Weber offer sheet.

It was VAN's 3rd for Tanev (ANA backed out, the deal was on the table) right after the Booth deal so that VAN would offer sheet Kyle Turris and then move Hodgson, Raymond, one of Ballard or Bieksa and multiple first round picks and other prospects for Weber

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
Was Edler even close in the 07-08 Calder running? 8 goals, 20 points, +6 and 21 minutes per game on a team that missed the playoffs isn't bad for a rookie defencemen

edit: not close, but was he like top 10?

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
it's more than speculation, I have it on good authority, and no it wasn't for a Weber offer sheet.

It was VAN's 3rd for Tanev (ANA backed out, the deal was on the table) right after the Booth deal so that VAN would offer sheet Kyle Turris and then move Hodgson, Raymond, one of Ballard or Bieksa and multiple first round picks and other prospects for Weber

Why didn't we move Hodgson, Raymond, Ballard/Bieksa + 1sts for Weber even if we didn't couldn't offer sheet Turris? Gillis was willing to go for a "lesser" centre in Pahlsson. Seems just highly unlikely that this was on the table for Weber out of all the players.

If it were though and the moves went through, it would be a coup on our behalf. Imagine Weber patrolling our blueline with Turris on our third line...

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

Huh, interesting... and they needed their own 3rd rounder back to offer sheet Turris? At least that's how I remember it from all the Weber discussion at the time.

If Stanton continues his strong play, I don't see how Corrado will ever crack this lineup.

I'm not sure they'd play Corrado on the left side anyway, but it's a good problem to have nonetheless.

Outside99*

I like that Stanton was paired with bieksa in practice. It's a good "cop" pairing that can also push the puck up the ice. If Stantons play isn't a mirage, he really bolsters our blueline depth.

Now Torts just needs to get Garrison back with Hamhuis and Tanev back with Edler and he'll have things right.

If he can make it with Casual, he'll make it with anyone...I kid I kid, Casual has been solid this year.

Gotta be a bit giddy that the Canucks managed to get Stanton for nothing. Pro scouting kudos.

The 2007 draft is strange as far as Dmen is concerned:

1st round: Alzner, Mcdonagh, Shattenkirk. The other 8 dmen picked didn't make it.

Later rounds & free agency: Subban, Martinez, Falk, Gunnarsson, Braun, Stanton?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad