Ryan Stanton Appreciation Thread

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
The fact that he's a rookie makes his play even more impressive. He almost never makes mistakes defensively similar to Tanev. I'm sure there'll be hiccups as he gets worn down over the season, but his early showing coming into a new team and system is extremely encouraging. Go figure that our youth movement is 100% Chicago developed.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Guy is a stud. I could actually see us moving Tanev because of his development.

i uh, dont think this would be a good move

edit: ive been pleasantly surprised with him. probably better than weber, definitely better than alberts in the pre-season. similar effectiveness to alberts at the end of last year

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
i uh, dont think this would be a good move

edit: ive been pleasantly surprised with him. probably better than weber, definitely better than alberts in the pre-season. similar effectiveness to alberts at the end of last year

Not the least of which is that they don't play the same side of the ice.

I wonder if the snotty remarks about him by various bloggers will be recanted at some point :sarcasm:

Tanevian*

It's probably a good time to start a Stanton for Calder campaign. He's tied with the truly amazing and incredible Morgan Rielly for rookie D scoring.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
one element that we haven't seen from stanton yet is that he's a pretty good **** disturber and was willing to fight pretty much anyone at the ahl level

Lundface*

Not gonna lie, besides higg/lapierre I have no faith in MG's ability to make a trade, especially at the trade deadline.

Ehrhoff?

Roy was a good trade, coach just didn't utilize him

Problem with gillis is when he tries to outbid someone, or makes reactionary moves...he pays too much for what we get.

His under the radar, bargin bin moves have actually been quite good.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Chicago must be kicking themselves. They lose a good dman to one of their most hated teams.

Meh

Hawks have strong NHL top 7 and the Nucks/Hawks rivalry has cooled a bit

Bowman likes Dahlbeck (Currently in AHL) and Johns is likely to joins Hawks organization after this summer after he is done at ND

It sucks to lose an asset for nothing but it happens

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Meh

Bowman likes Dahlbeck (Currently in AHL) and Johns is likely to joins Hawks organization after this summer after he is done at ND

Winning the cup a second time has probably cooled all your rivalries a bit from your prospective. Kind of like Edmonton & Calgary have rivalries with us but Canuck fans do not care. Chicago is at the top of the mountain so does not get bogged down in rivalries at the moment. I do remember it being pretty heated when Hansen hit Hossa last year though. Even when the Canucks beat Chicago near the end of the year, so i think it only cooled because of the glow of the cup win. I bet the next time the Canucks play it will heat up again, now we can only play in the third round so i do not like the chances of the Canucks making it there, but if the teams meet the hate will return. As long as Chicago has Toews and Keith and Vancouver has Kesler and Burrows there will be a rivalry. Too bad we did not have a cup in the bag so we could argue with the Hawks fans a bit more. I was liking pointing out that your depth players were responsible for your first cup and you ******** go win another one:cry:

Stonz

Oct 10, 2006
Burnaby, BC
He's been excellent. Whether he can maintain this level of play will be very interesting. If he can, what an absolute steal.

I just have to see this over a longer period of time. I remember Buffalo fans having a similar reaction to Sulzer when we threw him in with Hodgson. He was excellent for them for a while, but it doesn't seem they're too high on him nowadays.

Very encouraged, but time will tell whether he's legit.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
He's been excellent. Whether he can maintain this level of play will be very interesting. If he can, what an absolute steal.

I just have to see this over a longer period of time. I remember Buffalo fans having a similar reaction to Sulzer when we threw him in with Hodgson. He was excellent for them for a while, but it doesn't seem they're too high on him nowadays.

Very encouraged, but time will tell whether he's legit.

Didn't Sulzer blow out his knee and miss most of last season?

Stonz

Oct 10, 2006
Burnaby, BC
Didn't Sulzer blow out his knee and miss most of last season?

He did indeed, and perhaps his inability to get back into the lineup is due to lingering effects. That said, its not unheard of to see unexpected strong stretches of play from unlikely sources.

As I said, he's been impressive and I sincerely hope it continues. I just need to see it over a longer stretch before I start comparing him to Tanev. Honestly, I feel the same way about Santorelli.

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
Meh

Hawks have strong NHL top 7 and the Nucks suck pretty bad by comparison

It sucks to lose an asset for nothing but its not like we won't smash your teeth in if we meet in the playoff's anyways, so I'm not sweating it.

FTFY gotta keep up appearances and what not ;)

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Ehrhoff?

Roy was a good trade, coach just didn't utilize him

Problem with gillis is when he tries to outbid someone, or makes reactionary moves...he pays too much for what we get.

His under the radar, bargin bin moves have actually been quite good.

Hodgson for Kassian?
Schneider for bo ****ing horvat?

coho + lu/schneider should have always been the trade that needed to happen. Having said that, I do believe AV's idiocy has a lot to do with forcing gillis to make some dumb moves. He pissed off coho with the back injury stuff, treated ballard like crap, never gave grabner a proper chance.

I guess I just don't trust MG when it comes to trading our players that actually have value.

Oh yeah, Stanton is awesome. Man, I haven't even been irritated with BIEKSA lately. Things are looking up. :)

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Stonz is right, lets see if he can keep it up. Very good start for him though, much like Santorelli.

I still wouldn't mind some D insurance to Stanton that is better than Alberts or Weber. The season is a grind and he will have low points. Same with forwards like Santorelli and Richardson.

How Ya Drouin

12/08/13 GM GamesRIP
Apr 24, 2013
Ontario
It's probably a good time to start a Stanton for Calder campaign. He's tied with the truly amazing and incredible Morgan Rielly for rookie D scoring.

If he can keep up his play, it'd be nice to see him get some Calder consideration, even though it won't happen!

When was the last time we even had somebody compete for the Calder?

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Meh

I don't think it has died at all. Thank god Bolland isn't there anymore though. :handclap: Lu is still here and Kane is still on the other side so the rivalry will live on. Plus DKeith is still there...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad