Recalled/Assigned: Ryan Sproul (Assigned to HFD)

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I actually kind of like Kampfer. He's not a big guy but he skates pretty well and he competes. I don't see him making loads of bad reads either. His cap hit is very cheap.

Remember Kostka? That guy sucked.

If he's got a little time and space, he'll make a decent play. His biggest problem is when he is pressured. He doesn't have good escapability, it seems to me.

Reactions: bl02

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I actually kind of like Kampfer. He's not a big guy but he skates pretty well and he competes. I don't see him making loads of bad reads either. His cap hit is very cheap.

Remember Kostka? That guy sucked.

Funny enough, when we got The Three Stooges, Kostka was regarded as the best one and the other two were seen as minor leaguers. He got the most money, too. Since then, Kostka played 22 games, Hunwick played 220 and Kampfer played 105. But when Kampfer didn't play, he was a 7D. He only half a season in the AHL over the last 5 seasons, so he's really been a full-time NHLer ever since.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Funny enough, when we got The Three Stooges, Kostka was regarded as the best one and the other two were seen as minor leaguers. He got the most money, too. Since then, Kostka played 22 games, Hunwick played 220 and Kampfer played 105. But when Kampfer didn't play, he was a 7D. He only half a season in the AHL over the last 5 seasons, so he's really been a full-time NHLer ever since.

Kostka was awful. I still remember that Tarasenko goal that got blamed on McIlrath---all Kostka had to do was hold the line but Kostka took himself out of the play by stepping up towards Tarasenko who was coming at him at speed and easily moved into the massive gap that Kostka's goof created. Dylan actually almost made a great play just getting a piece of him but most people seemed to think Dylan f***ed it up.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
So we're calling up AHL players to replace injured AHL players. Is the NYR goal this season to secretly play the Wolfpack in the NHL?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Kampfer is fine as a 7. That's the problem though, he's been asked to do more than he's capable of and that's why people "hate" him. Honestly this has been the same thing that a dozen guys in the last decade have dealt with while with our team--adequate depth defenders, asked to do too much, and then people kill them for not being able to perform.

Anyway, good for Sproul.

I've said for a while that I don't think the organization is that high on Graves.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
That's cause our coach is an idiot. I called him a bottom 5 coach in.The nhl 2 years ago and ppl called me stupid....how many ppl disagree with me now?

I disagree with you now because he is currently a bottom 5 coach in all of professional sports

Reactions: Inferno

Gravey22

Nov 19, 2017
I expected Graves to have been in the call-up list by now. He is the fifth in line never expected that deep. Sproul seems somewhat similar than Graves, good size, moves the puck decently and reasonable wheels for a big guy. Neither are overly physical.
Perhaps it is Sproul's NHL experience? Maybe at this point get a test ride to determine usefulness going forward. Likely have a reasonable assessment on Graves but his controlabilty may be coming to an end too, right? He has been in the Org for a while is he RFA or something?
If Graves is not ready then he should not play just think at this point give him a go just to see!!
What is to lose?

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
I expected Graves to have been in the call-up list by now. He is the fifth in line never expected that deep. Sproul seems somewhat similar than Graves, good size, moves the puck decently and reasonable wheels for a big guy. Neither are overly physical.
Perhaps it is Sproul's NHL experience? Maybe at this point get a test ride to determine usefulness going forward. Likely have a reasonable assessment on Graves but his controlabilty may be coming to an end too, right? He has been in the Org for a while is he RFA or something?
If Graves is not ready then he should not play just think at this point give him a go just to see!!
What is to lose?

Regardless of how many players we are trading, we are still in playoff contention. So that's what's to lose.

Gravey22

Nov 19, 2017
Regardless of how many players we are trading, we are still in playoff contention. So that's what's to lose.
Yeah OK. The delta between Sproul and Graves will determine a playoff spot? I guess anything is possible ..... likely the decision to trade McD Nash Zucc and crappy play..... has left the playoffs barn door open.
However point taken.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
I don't disagree that the difference between Sproul and Graves is high that it will determine our fates. But as you of course know, a single bad pass can lead to a goal against. I suppose they are more confident in the other, so he gets the chance

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
There's a very real chance Graves may be shipped out this trade deadline. I don't have any inside information but he may be included to move a contract if more are coming back.

He's going to lose waiver eligibility next season.

It's like any office if you've been there 3-4 years and keep getting past over for promotion by new and old guys coming in, eventually they're going to either eventually promote you, hope you leave, or get rid of you.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
the only lefty called up ahead of Graves was Gilmour who is having a very good season

re Sproul, this could Matt Puempel's greatest contribution to the Rangers, if Sproul can be decent until we get McD or Staal back

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Pionk v Graves is the typical case of brains v tools. Fans fall in love with tools, but brains inevitably turn out to be more important. Graves was always a boom/bust guy who could've been a top pair defenseman with all his tools, but if it won't all come together, he'll be a minor league bust. But it's not just his name. Being 6-5 225 is not just his name. Having a 104 mph shot is not just his name. Skating, defending 1-on-1 is not just the name.
Having a hard snapshot does make you a nhl defenseman, in fact it has no impact at all. You can tell by how many guys we’ve had that can’t shoot. And size is more common than you’d think. It’s a matter of being able to do something with it. If he could skate and defend he’d be in the NHL. And if he could reliably make reads and use his brain he’d be playing top 4 minutes on this roster..

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Who is left down in HFD?

Brendan Smith, Ryan Graves, Brandon Crawley,
Sergei Zborovsky, Vince Pedrie, Hubert LaBrie.

Brendan Kotyk is in Greenvile on a Hartford contract

Desmond Bergin was brought in on a PTO for 1 game, last weekend, then returned to Adirondack when Smith and Labrie arrived

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
It`s more liekely he will be here in the october training camp and that concern you, because he found a new level of gear and he is in `world cup condition` when he almost single handly knocked out Team USA, Sweden with Henrik, and played against Canada in the final. And Zucc know it might be his last games for New York Rangers so he will find new found energies - so maybe management consider him and decide to keep him with all the new prospects and youth coming to New York next summer.

What in the f*** are you talking about?

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
re Sproul, this could Matt Puempel's greatest contribution to the Rangers, if Sproul can be decent until we get McD or Staal back

Mike Smith losing his you know what after Puempel's hat trick last year is up there with Rucinsky's OT Goal against Patrick Lalime and the Malik SO winner in greatest Ranger comedic moments since the 05-06 season.

Reactions: Holden the Stick

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Sproul will wear #25.
Righty depth D wearing #25
Rest in peace Potsy
(by virtue of alphabetical order, i believe he is the very first Russian player with his name on the Cup)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Sproul will wear #25.
Righty depth D wearing #25
Rest in peace Potsy
(by virtue of alphabetical order, i believe he is the very first Russian player with his name on the Cup)

One of my favorite players as a kid. Also one of my firsts Ranger jerseys:

CI7YyjM.jpg

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad