Player Discussion Ryan Spooner

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If he scores zero points in the next 7 games he will still have respectable 0.7 ppl. I hope the sentiment to keep him will not change then because it shouldn’t. Sorry to bring it here but the seemed consensus here to keep him during the rebuild should apply in consideration to Kreider, Ziba and Hayes (and Namestnikov). All guys who are in the similar age and price group that would be useful in rebuild and also after.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He sure is making it extremely hard for us to explore trading him. As it stands now I want him on the team during the rebuild.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I think he's been both good and lucky....I'd be very hesitant to hand out long term deals to people based on small sample sizes...see smith, brendan

Reactions: NYR94

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Does anyone think Gorton may have targeted Spooner as a longer term replacement for Zuccarello should he be moved? It seems like they play similar games
They are not similar players at all, and he plays in a different position, we barely have any depth on the right wing, except Buch, and Fast, but Fast is not a top 6 player.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'd say the out of shape argument for smith only works for the first 10 to 15 games... If you're not in shape by that time.....
I dunno, I think it’s the kind of thing that can snowball. Yeah maybe you’ll get in better shape after a few weeks but everyone is getting better then too and they’re building on a stronger foundation than you are

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I'd say the out of shape argument for smith only works for the first 10 to 15 games... If you're not in shape by that time.....

Not necessarily. You tend to play catch up an entire time.

What it also should do is motivate you next time around so Smith really should come into next season's camp in tip top shape.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Take Spooner's production with a grain of salt. He's playing for a contract and is a UFA after next season. He knows that this little 25-game window can be parlayed into a three or four year deal. Don't know how I feel about that when you consider what LA and Chytil are doing in the AHL.

Now if he signs a one-year deal, he'll be playing for his UFA deal and may fetch a decent return if he continues to produce.

I say sell high. Move him at the draft for some 2019 picks. Even if Spooner has a career year, it's not worth giving a 3 to 5-year deal to a guy who likely never produces consistently throughout what would be an expensive UFA deal.

They will be fine next season with Zibanejad, Hayes and Namestnikov, with one of Chytil or LA cracking the roster. They're cheaper anyway.

Sell high.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
See, I don't know. I think management sees Spooner's future here as a winger, which is something the Rangers aren't deep in.

I don't think Chytil/Andersson coming up affects him.

Hayes/Namestnikov would be more affected by those two.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
spoonie luv.jpg

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Since the start of the 2015-16 season, he's 68th in the NHL in all strengths points/60.

He's ahead of Perry, Johansen, Okposo, Lee, Krejci, Skinner, D. Sedin, Oshie, Horqvist, and fellas by the name Zuccarello and Stepan.

Sign him to 5 x $4 last week.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Since the start of the 2015-16 season, he's 68th in the NHL in all strengths points/60.

He's ahead of Perry, Johansen, Okposo, Lee, Krejci, Skinner, D. Sedin, Oshie, Horqvist, and fellas by the name Zuccarello and Stepan.

Sign him to 5 x $4 last week.

negative CF% rel every year of his career. Career 63% oZS. An incomprehensible 78% offensive zone start this year in Boston. Doesn't kill penalties. Career 43% FO.

Whoever said "sell high" is a smart man.

10 points in 6 games is quite good though, I'm happy for him.

Reactions: Off Sides

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
negative CF% rel every year of his career. Career 63% oZS. An incomprehensible 78% offensive zone start this year in Boston. Doesn't kill penalties. Career 43% FO. Bunch of shit I don't care about

First line production on a reasonable contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->