Proposal: Ryan Spooner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Like to keep the thread open.

What is the best Sweeney can hope for on a return for Spooner? Draft pick? Mid-level prospect? Underperforming Nhler?

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont

What is the best Sweeney can hope for on a return for Spooner? Draft pick? Mid-level prospect? Underperforming Nhler?

IMO, best he can hope for.....that he comes a solid contributor to the Bruins and we keep him.

He's a tremendous help to the PP..if he could ever bring that confidence over to his 5 on 5 game, he would be a solid player...especially given his contract.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

100% dependant upon how Spoons plays

All it takes is one team who is willing to accept a C-man who can`t win faceoffs with any consistency and can be a liability defensively for what he can bring offensively.

My guess, even if Spoons is at his best, 2nd round pick, decent prospect or a young roster player with deficiencies himself

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT

With so many pushing for roster spots if Spoons is moved, I think some other players will go with. Maybe Donny can pull a 3 for 1 and we will be on the right side of it for once. Whether Spoons gets traded or not, I definitely think Donny is going to move some players. There is almost TOO many options for the NHL roster right now.

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
With so many pushing for roster spots if Spoons is moved, I think some other players will go with. Maybe Donny can pull a 3 for 1 and we will be on the right side of it for once. Whether Spoons gets traded or not, I definitely think Donny is going to move some players. There is almost TOO many options for the NHL roster right now.

Yeah this was my thought as well, would be nice to take a little less in return for a team to take on an extra salary.

Spooner and Beleskey for a 2nd.
Also maybe McQuaid and Cehlarik for a 2nd as well

We have plenty of good players to fill those spots and it would clear a ton of cap space for a bigger move or UFA signing down the road. We end up with over 9million in cap space and two seconds round picks which have been like gold to us since Sweeney took over the drafting.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Trading Spooner now is a bad idea. His value is really low.

Between Backes/Vatrano/DeBrusk/Beleskey/Bjork/Heinen/etc, were likely going to have a good 3rd line. This year determines how much Spooner gets paid next year... He has enough motivation.

I'd be looking for him to rebound. Flip him at the deadline. No point dealing him now for a ~3rd round pick, he's worth way more to this team than that.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Spooner has always always reminded me of a better skating savard. He'll come around eventually, hopefully with us, but he'll end up being a 60+ point player somewhere

His problem is a commitment to the entire game, something savard also struggled with and then became an amazing player once he did

If he can put it together he will make our pp dangerous while providing a threat 5 on 5 and not being a liability

He just needs to get his mental game up to speed when he's not carrying the puck himself

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Big year coming for Spooner. Better to keep him for now.

Next summer they could be in a position of real strength to deal from. Look at these options...

*Spooner coming off a great year (hopefully). Maybe that makes folks look harder at the more expensive Krejci.
*Krejci will hopefully also be coming off a great year now that he's healthy again. At that point, he'll only have 1 year left on his NMC and he may be willing to waive it so he can have total control over where he's dealt. After that, they can move him to half the teams in the league without his permission.
*JFK, Frederic and maybe Donato knocking on the door. Studnicka a year or two of pro hockey away.

Lots of options and they could be in the driver seat if they wait.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Big year coming for Spooner. Better to keep him for now.

Next summer they could be in a position of real strength to deal from. Look at these options...

*Spooner coming off a great year (hopefully). Maybe that makes folks look harder at the more expensive Krejci.
*Krejci will hopefully also be coming off a great year now that he's healthy again. At that point, he'll only have 1 year left on his NMC and he may be willing to waive it so he can have total control over where he's dealt. After that, they can move him to half the teams in the league without his permission.
*JFK, Frederic and maybe Donato knocking on the door. Studnicka a year or two of pro hockey away.

Lots of options and they could be in the driver seat if they wait.

I thought he looked bigger and still quick - that line of

Beleskey-Spooner - Purcell

Big week for them

All seem very prepared

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Big week for them

All seem very prepared

Could this be the 4th line? I really want to see this line succeed all playing for respected careers albeit different ages / different roles.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
if someone steps up and takes spooners spot its a good thing and we should try to move him for the cap space we can recover

however... if no one forces the move then hes here... we can afford him... might as well keep him

if I felt he was worth anything in a trade then that's different. but I don't. at best I think we are looking to simply dump the cap

spooner has the talent that he could become more. if he has another 50-55 point season I do think he might be worth a second or a warm body.

I think theres a good chance he will play with some talent this year. I do think theres a strong chance that backes will play with spooner on a more regular basis and that will help spooner with defense/faceoffs.

if a kid like heinen or Bjork makes the team I think they would be the other winger. even if belesky ends up here, I think he will have a much better season than last year.

if spooner continues to get pp time... and gets a couple steady winger like backes/belesky... a 50-55 point season would be what I would expect. and having trade value would follow.

anyhow who else do we have for a 3rd line center? personally id put backes there but that doesn't appear to be in the cards. I don't want nash there. I don't think kuraly or accari score enough. I'm not convinced jfk should be handed the job. let jfk earn the job before we proceed with trading spooner

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I didn't hear anything about Purcell until this this thread. PTO? Do (we) think that he is still a viable player who can compete and contribute?

Last edited:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I didn't hear anything about Purcell until this this thread. PTO? Do (we) think that he is still a viable player who can compete and contribute?

the guy has nhl talent but imho not nhl compete level.

will his last couple years be enough of a slap in his face to give us the extra gear? money can talk... so I suppose its possible. the Purcell I saw going through the motions in Edmonton is not someone I want getting in the way of developing one of our kids though.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
When I look at the current group and the likelihood, and frankly necessity, to start initiating some of the young talent, coupled with what I see as a need for a LD, I would love to see a Ryan SPOONER for Ryan MURRAY straight up deal. Exact same cap hit at the exact same term. This just might be a good deal for both teams and each player as well. MURRAY adds more depth to our blue line and has the potential to be a top four guy. Moving SPOONER creates room up front and makes it easier to start easing in some of the prospects that appear ready(DEBRUSK, BJORK, JFK, HEINIEN and CEHLARIK all being the most probable to compete). If I had to speculate, DEBRUSK may be most NHL ready and BJORK may push due to his raw talent, JFK due to his complete game. That said and with a SPOONER/MURRAY deal, I like the balance...

MARCHAND-BERGERON-BJORK (I have a feeling he may secure this position and history suggests the Bruins like to break young offensively talented wingers in on that line)

DEBRUSK-KREJCI-PASTRNAK

BELESKEY-JFK-BACKES (I like the potential of what this third line may bring)

VATRANO-KURALY-NASH/ACCAIRI, VATRANO poised to push BELESKEY if he's the 16-17 BELESKEY)

CHARA-CARLO

MURRAY-MACAVOY

KRUG-MCQUAID/MILLER

RASK

KHOUDOBIN

SCHALLER and POSTMA as call up depth.

Love this trade and defensive line-up. If Murry comes back to form and McAvoy stays there, I'd move them to the 1st Pairing.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Spooner has always always reminded me of a better skating savard. He'll come around eventually, hopefully with us, but he'll end up being a 60+ point player somewhere

His problem is a commitment to the entire game, something savard also struggled with and then became an amazing player once he did

If he can put it together he will make our pp dangerous while providing a threat 5 on 5 and not being a liability

He just needs to get his mental game up to speed when he's not carrying the puck himself

Good Lord, wouldn't that be awesome. I can see the approach, not sure if he can get there but again wouldn't it be nice?

Savvy seems to be a dyed in the wool Bruin. I bet he'd be up for some one on one mentoring for a guy like Spooner.

I guess the question is would Spooner be open to it? He seems to me to be a bit of a "why is this happening to me" kind of guy. Is that fair? I ask because I've never talked to him, so my judgement may be right on the money or 180 degrees off.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I liked what I saw last night, spoons was engaged on both sides of the puck and he looked bigger and more assertive

Spooner started off this way last season as well. The problems starting creeping into his game as the season went on and were especially highlighted in the playoffs.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Spooner started off this way last season as well. The problems starting creeping into his game as the season went on and were especially highlighted in the playoffs.

And placed between Hayes and tubby Beleskey and his regular season injury. He was really good when Cassidy first came on and just prior to his injury.

He has such good potential.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
And placed between Hayes and tubby Beleskey and his regular season injury. He was really good when Cassidy first came on and just prior to his injury.

He has such good potential.

I don't recall him being really good when Cassidy came along... I do remember his ice-time being scaled back by Cassidy though.

In any event, nobody is denying his potential; it's consistency in his compete level that he needs to work on.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I don't recall him being really good when Cassidy came along... I do remember his ice-time being scaled back by Cassidy though.

In any event, nobody is denying his potential; it's consistency in his compete level that he needs to work on.
https://causewaycrowd.com/2017/03/01/boston-bruins-ryan-spooner-calls-claude-julien/

Spooner has done some impressive things as part of the new third line. Bruce Cassidy took the often-maligned Spooner and paired him with Frank Vatrano and (of all people) Jimmy Hayes. While the ‘VHS line’ looked like it was going to be a spectacular disaster, the results were anything but.

The Bruins have gone 7-1 in the Cassidy era, and the new third line has done their part. The VHS line has put up 15 points (six goals) in eight games for Boston. They’re a collective +12 during that time period. Spooner is on track to a 40 point season right now. Mostly because the new head coach had faith in his potential.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

Big week for them

All seem very prepared

Yeah, I think the fact that JFK is with Vatrano and Backes is just message sending.

To JFK: Look where you could be. You're not that far off. How hard are you willing to work to get here?

To Spooner: Time to grow up and be the player everyone wants you to be. We're done being nice and we're done waiting for you. Replacements are knocking on the door. It's up to you and this is your last chance.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
https://causewaycrowd.com/2017/03/01/boston-bruins-ryan-spooner-calls-claude-julien/

Spooner has done some impressive things as part of the new third line. Bruce Cassidy took the often-maligned Spooner and paired him with Frank Vatrano and (of all people) Jimmy Hayes. While the ‘VHS line’ looked like it was going to be a spectacular disaster, the results were anything but.

The Bruins have gone 7-1 in the Cassidy era, and the new third line has done their part. The VHS line has put up 15 points (six goals) in eight games for Boston. They’re a collective +12 during that time period. Spooner is on track to a 40 point season right now. Mostly because the new head coach had faith in his potential.

Yeah, looking at the game charts, he had 6 points in the first 7 games after the coaching trade but then he had a concussion and his ice-time went down.

This is an important year for Spooner. He's been in the league for over 200 games now and still young enough to hit his max potential and show that his compete level issues can be chalked up to other mitigating factors ( coach hates me, too young to get it, sub-par linemates, etc etc ). This has to be a zero excuse year for Spooner, with the prospects starting to knock on the door sniffing for roster spots.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah this was my thought as well, would be nice to take a little less in return for a team to take on an extra salary.

Spooner and Beleskey for a 2nd.
Also maybe McQuaid and Cehlarik for a 2nd as well

We have plenty of good players to fill those spots and it would clear a ton of cap space for a bigger move or UFA signing down the road. We end up with over 9million in cap space and two seconds round picks which have been like gold to us since Sweeney took over the drafting.

It would be nice to have depth once in a while.

Trade Spooner, Belesky McQuaid, and Cehlarik for picks. We gain 9 million or so in cap space, which is pretty much useless now, but might help next offseason.

Suddenly we are counting on what 5 rookies starting every night, plus Potsma. ANd with our entire depth being even more rookies.

So in a couple months if Debrusk or Heinen isn't getting it done we can trade them, plus a couple new second round picks for some mediocre cap dump from another team. Maybe we can get Reilly Smith back.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
White gone potentially 2 months for Sens, perfect time to send Spoons home:)

Just here to put ripples in the waves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->