Proposal: Ryan Spooner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taz#24

Feb 27, 2002
Washington DC
Visit site
When I look at the current group and the likelihood, and frankly necessity, to start initiating some of the young talent, coupled with what I see as a need for a LD, I would love to see a Ryan SPOONER for Ryan MURRAY straight up deal. Exact same cap hit at the exact same term. This just might be a good deal for both teams and each player as well. MURRAY adds more depth to our blue line and has the potential to be a top four guy. Moving SPOONER creates room up front and makes it easier to start easing in some of the prospects that appear ready(DEBRUSK, BJORK, JFK, HEINIEN and CEHLARIK all being the most probable to compete). If I had to speculate, DEBRUSK may be most NHL ready and BJORK may push due to his raw talent, JFK due to his complete game. That said and with a SPOONER/MURRAY deal, I like the balance...

MARCHAND-BERGERON-BJORK (I have a feeling he may secure this position and history suggests the Bruins like to break young offensively talented wingers in on that line)

DEBRUSK-KREJCI-PASTRNAK

BELESKEY-JFK-BACKES (I like the potential of what this third line may bring)

VATRANO-KURALY-NASH/ACCAIRI, VATRANO poised to push BELESKEY if he's the 16-17 BELESKEY)

CHARA-CARLO

MURRAY-MACAVOY

KRUG-MCQUAID/MILLER

RASK

KHOUDOBIN

SCHALLER and POSTMA as call up depth.

Last edited by a moderator:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think Spoons is playing his final year (or less) in Boston, I think the brass is going to evaluate how JFK plays in Providence before making a personnel decision on Spoons.

If I have an issue with Murray is he tends to struggle to stay healthy doesn`t he? I recall watching one of the Jackets playoff games and the team calling the play said just that, C-Bus is a better team when he`s dressed but he has struggled to stay on the ice

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
You want to trade for Murray and then install him in the Top 4 over Krug?

Are we talking about the same Ryan Murray that played only 60 games (21 less than Krug) and had 11 points (40 less than Krug) while averaging 18+ minutes per game (three and a half minutes less than Krug).

That's not happening.

Even if CBJ made that deal, Murray slots in on the 3rd pair.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Are we talking about the same Ryan Murray that played only 60 games (21 less than Krug) and had 11 points (40 less than Krug) while averaging 18+ minutes per game (three and a half minutes less than Krug).

That's not happening.

I think CBJ likes Murray despite his injury woes.

They have a very nice looking Top 6 D. I would have to think if they were willing to move Murray, it would be in a package for a bigger fish than Ryan Spooner.

Taz#24

Feb 27, 2002
Washington DC
Visit site
I hear you

That's not happening.

I'm more interested in balanced pairings and I'm confident both CARLO and MACAVOY need a solid, stay at home, physical partner, KRUG is an excellent offensive D-man with top notch PP ability but he is not that guy. KRUG will get his ice time but a great deal of it will be PP time.

Just my personal opinion but I don't see KRUG as a good fit with either CARLO or MACAVOY, I see him fitting well with either MILLER or MCQUAID.

In the future, CARLO may develop into the rock solid, stay at home, physical guy that will compliment KRUG as a D-partner but I don't see that fit yet.

Taz#24

Feb 27, 2002
Washington DC
Visit site
Thanks Wally

I don't think SPOONER is the type they are looking for. I think they want a prototypical shutdown guy, with good face off ability and a decent physical game. SPOONER, in my opinion would make a decent #2 guy on a developing team and still has some upside to be a good #2 guy in the mold of Kyle TURRIS if he can improve his play without the puck and become more physically engaged. .

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Honestly I can't see this team trading spooner for a defenseman.

When I look at the roster I am more confident in the depth of talent at D than at F. Yes they could use a #6 LHD, but I am confident that between with playing Killer on his offside, or playing O'Gara fills that role just fine.

Spooner for all his faults is the 5th best offensive forward on the roster. As it is we are relying on Vatrano and 2 rookies to fill up 3 spots in the top 9. Not if you move Spooner out of town you are stuck with Vatrano and 3 rookies in the top line?

All for a marginal improvement in #6 defenseman?

I have no problem trading Spooner, but I need a top 6, or at worst top 9 winger in return

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I really think the Spooner criticism is often off-based. Yes he's not as solid away from the puck as we hoped, but I can live with that and I think the Bruins could too. I think the issue with him is that he doesn't produce enough offensively to justify his shortcomings. So I'm more looking for him to be able to carry a 3rd line and produce regular strength points, consistently. If he's weak to average otherwise, so be it, but I want offense. If he produces points I'd all but guarantee the issues with his off-the-puck play quiet down.

Taz#24

Feb 27, 2002
Washington DC
Visit site
Great counter

Honestly I can't see this team trading spooner for a defenseman.

When I look at the roster I am more confident in the depth of talent at D than at F. Yes they could use a #6 LHD, but I am confident that between with playing Killer on his offside, or playing O'Gara fills that role just fine.

Spooner for all his faults is the 5th best offensive forward on the roster. As it is we are relying on Vatrano and 2 rookies to fill up 3 spots in the top 9. Not if you move Spooner out of town you are stuck with Vatrano and 3 rookies in the top line?

All for a marginal improvement in #6 defenseman?

I have no problem trading Spooner, but I need a top 6, or at worst top 9 winger in return

True enough regarding the K. MILLER and O'GARA aspect and unfortunately regarding SPOONER as one of our few naturally offensive guys, particularly on the PP. I suspect that if JFK brings anything close with a better all around game, SPOONER will quickly become expendable.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I really think the Spooner criticism is often off-based. Yes he's not as solid away from the puck as we hoped, but I can live with that and I think the Bruins could too. I think the issue with him is that he doesn't produce enough offensively to justify his shortcomings. So I'm more looking for him to be able to carry a 3rd line and produce regular strength points, consistently. If he's weak to average otherwise, so be it, but I want offense. That's what I want to see.

natural centerman who can`t win nearly enough faceoffs nor is either able to or willing to work at improving his defensive recognition of where he needs to be while playing up the middle.

His game when on the wing just looks uncomfortable. I think he`d be a solid fit on a team like Arizona who are young and are in that phase where mistakes are almost expected with so much youth.

There will be a bunch of newbies who will be loudly knocking at the door this camp and moving in the future, Spoons, IMO, to stay in Boston will have to elevate his game. He`ll never be a Selke candidate, his offensive game is not an issue, but these guys play without the puck more than with and when he doesn`t have it on his stick, too often IMO, he`s a liability not an asset, apparently he added some weight this off season, maybe this will allow him to feel a bit more confident to stick his nose in there and try to win some battles? We`ll see, it`s all on him now, this ain`t a kid any longer

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
When I look at the current group and the likelihood, and frankly necessity, to start initiating some of the young talent, coupled with what I see as a need for a LD, I would love to see a Ryan SPOONER for Ryan MURRAY straight up deal. Exact same cap hit at the exact same term. This just might be a good deal for both teams and each player as well. MURRAY adds more depth to our blue line and has the potential to be a top four guy. Moving SPOONER creates room up front and makes it easier to start easing in some of the prospects that appear ready(DEBRUSK, BJORK, JFK, HEINIEN and CEHLARIK all being the most probable to compete). If I had to speculate, DEBRUSK may be most NHL ready and BJORK may push due to his raw talent, JFK due to his complete game. That said and with a SPOONER/MURRAY deal, I like the balance...

MARCHAND-BERGERON-BJORK (I have a feeling he may secure this position and history suggests the Bruins like to break young offensively talented wingers in on that line)

DEBRUSK-KREJCI-PASTRNAK

BELESKEY-JFK-BACKES (I like the potential of what this third line may bring)

VATRANO-KURALY-NASH/ACCAIRI, VATRANO poised to push BELESKEY if he's the 16-17 BELESKEY)

CHARA-CARLO

MURRAY-MACAVOY

KRUG-MCQUAID/MILLER

RASK

KHOUDOBIN

SCHALLER and POSTMA as call up depth.

Are you secretly Alberta_OReilly_Fan? Because your posts with all the caps are basically the same.

In terms of the trade, I do think Spooner gets dealt at some point, but I'm not sure what the return will be. I'd rather they move him and one of the unnecessary contracts(Beleskey, McQ) and give us some cap flexibility, as opposed to trying to bring in more bodies. I'd also be ok with him as a piece to a bigger deal(Duchene, Lando).

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I'm more interested in balanced pairings and I'm confident both CARLO and MACAVOY need a solid, stay at home, physical partner, KRUG is an excellent offensive D-man with top notch PP ability but he is not that guy. KRUG will get his ice time but a great deal of it will be PP time.

Just my personal opinion but I don't see KRUG as a good fit with either CARLO or MACAVOY, I see him fitting well with either MILLER or MCQUAID.

In the future, CARLO may develop into the rock solid, stay at home, physical guy that will compliment KRUG as a D-partner but I don't see that fit yet.

I am guessing you have not seen a ton of Murray? I haven't either, but from what I have seen, he's hardly the "solid, stay at home, physical type" you are proposing.

If you want "balanced pairs" you could do either of the below combos w/out even making a trade:

Z-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
O'Gara/Zboril-Miller/McQ

or

Z-Carlo
Krug-McQ
Miller-McAvoy

Personally, I think Carlo is EXACTLY what Krug needs in a D partner.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I am guessing you have not seen a ton of Murray? I haven't either, but from what I have seen, he's hardly the "solid, stay at home, physical type" you are proposing.

If you want "balanced pairs" you could do either of the below combos w/out even making a trade:

Z-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
O'Gara/Zboril-Miller/McQ

or

Z-Carlo
Krug-McQ
Miller-McAvoy

Personally, I think Carlo is EXACTLY what Krug needs in a D partner.

I agree, I'd love to see what Krug could do with a more mobile D-partner.

While I don't think I'd want to see for example a Krug-Vatanen pairing (just to illustrate), I don't think having a big physical stay-at-homer is a requirement either.

Carlo to me could bring the best of both worlds and make an ideal partner for Krug.

That being said, how the Krug pairing is used and deployed will probably have an impact. Claude certainly like Chara-Carlo as it was a shut-down pairing he could send out against any top line.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
Posted the Pens - Spooner connection in another thread that had his name included in an unrelated trade. Rutherford, should he not move a roster player in a return, has a little better than 3M in cap space. That does limit affordable options for him. From that perspective Spooner fits a need. As for a level of interest, no idea.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
And this twitter reply:

Makes sense, that's how we know you made it up. Still waiting for Trouba offer sheet...#FakeNews

:laugh:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Are you secretly Alberta_OReilly_Fan? Because your posts with all the caps are basically the same.

In terms of the trade, I do think Spooner gets dealt at some point, but I'm not sure what the return will be. I'd rather they move him and one of the unnecessary contracts(Beleskey, McQ) and give us some cap flexibility, as opposed to trying to bring in more bodies. I'd also be ok with him as a piece to a bigger deal(Duchene, Lando).

You never do see them in the same place, so hmmmm....:amazed::amazed:

natural centerman who can`t win nearly enough faceoffs nor is either able to or willing to work at improving his defensive recognition of where he needs to be while playing up the middle.

His game when on the wing just looks uncomfortable. I think he`d be a solid fit on a team like Arizona who are young and are in that phase where mistakes are almost expected with so much youth.

There will be a bunch of newbies who will be loudly knocking at the door this camp and moving in the future, Spoons, IMO, to stay in Boston will have to elevate his game. He`ll never be a Selke candidate, his offensive game is not an issue, but these guys play without the puck more than with and when he doesn`t have it on his stick, too often IMO, he`s a liability not an asset, apparently he added some weight this off season, maybe this will allow him to feel a bit more confident to stick his nose in there and try to win some battles? We`ll see, it`s all on him now, this ain`t a kid any longer

THIS^^^^

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Only camp but skills are high end

186 lbs looks solid

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
There isnt a gm in the league that would move ryan murray for spooner. Would be the worst trade columbus has ever made.

End thread/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->