Waived: Ryan Spooner and Ty Rattie

Status
Not open for further replies.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
You dont claim Spooner. You let him clear and then maybe trade for him + retention.
THIS,
100%

He had some strugles, but I think some teams might take a chance on him who need depth.
If he is in the AHL, and the Oilers retain the rest of that they can you get a guy who costs you 1 million+- against the cap in the AHL, or 2 million in the NHL.
If you can send back to the Oilers a person on an ELC, you might be able to get a decent deal for a guy who might rebound into a 3rd line guy.

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
upload_2019-1-22_0-8-22.gif

Well that about does it for the Eberle trade tree

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
getting rid of these 'loser' type players is never a bad idea but

who will replace them that is better?

I mean there was many Edmonton players they got rid of in recent years and it was good moves to get rid of these players... but who are the good players that came to the team

if you were trying to choose players for your team that you want to build around... is there more than 4-5 guys on the oilers you would take? there might be a couple guys youd be ok on your 4th line... but not at 6 million dollars.

I guess theres 2-3 kids in the pipeline

so around 4-5 current guys and around 2-3 kids...

but they will try for the playoffs with McDavid and probably play 500 hockey and not get another top 10 draft pick for the next 5 years...

im sorry... this is not fixable. even the greatest gm on earth cant fix this.

should trade McDavid if someone offered you 5 quality assets in return. and frankly should trade draisailt. and frankly should try to draft in top 10 for next 5 years

with 7-8 quality return pieces added to the 2-3 dmen… added to the 2-3 kids and then another 5 picks... you could have 15-16 pretty decent pieces to try to win with in 5 years time

sorry... I feel very bad for this bad situation

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Does this officially put a bow on Chiarelli with the Oilers being the worst GM tenure of the last 15-20 years now? Milbury still too recent for 15-20 years? Maybe he's eclipsed Milbury by now? Milbury also had 10 or 12 years to do this much damage, Chiarelli has pulled it off in just 3.5!

Reactions: Narwian

Dr Awesome

Yak in the city
Sep 24, 2008
British Columbia
Does this officially put a bow on Chiarelli with the Oilers being the worst GM tenure of the last 15-20 years now? Milbury still too recent for 15-20 years? Maybe he's eclipsed Milbury by now? Milbury also had 10 or 12 years to do this much damage, Chiarelli has pulled it off in just 3.5!
Chiarelli is bad but not yet on level of Mike the shoe Milbury. Having said that Chiarelli is terrible.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Wasn't practice cancelled today in lieu of a 10:30 meeting? Thought that was posted in here?

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Think it might be the witching hour for the $2.5-3 million+ depth forward. Leaguewide we're seeing so many of these 26-30 year old guys underperform and get waived or shuffled off to other teams for peanuts...with the way the league is going, I'd expect bottom 6's 5-10 years from now to be mostly ELCs with a handful of cheap vets, with the top-end guys eating a much larger share of the cap than they even already do.

Never going to happen. If most of the GM’s started paying minimum for 3rd line players other GM”s would pay more to get the best 3rd line players. Always someone looking to make their team better. It comes down to who can manage the cap the best to win.

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006

Despite Milbury being terrible, the Isles made the playoffs 3 consecutive seasons with him as the GM.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
This thread reminds me of why Edmonton should fire Chiarelli so Seattle can hire him, Seattle can also hire Randy Carlyle while their at it so that they look like a real expansion team in their first season.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
This is not surprising. Now we wait to see if there's a followup trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->