Waived: Ryan Spooner and Ty Rattie

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So what happens now?

They give Spooner minutes over actual prospects in the AHL?
I rather have Yamamto or Puljarvvi in the AHL to be honest. Play Rattie and Spooner and let the those two develop

Part of it also might be a kick in the ass for these two guys. Literally no one wants you for free at your current contract. Be better

Reactions: Multigrain and zaqq

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
getting rid of these 'loser' type players is never a bad idea but

who will replace them that is better?

I mean there was many Edmonton players they got rid of in recent years and it was good moves to get rid of these players... but who are the good players that came to the team

if you were trying to choose players for your team that you want to build around... is there more than 4-5 guys on the oilers you would take? there might be a couple guys youd be ok on your 4th line... but not at 6 million dollars.

I guess theres 2-3 kids in the pipeline

so around 4-5 current guys and around 2-3 kids...

but they will try for the playoffs with McDavid and probably play 500 hockey and not get another top 10 draft pick for the next 5 years...

im sorry... this is not fixable. even the greatest gm on earth cant fix this.

should trade McDavid if someone offered you 5 quality assets in return. and frankly should trade draisailt. and frankly should try to draft in top 10 for next 5 years

with 7-8 quality return pieces added to the 2-3 dmen… added to the 2-3 kids and then another 5 picks... you could have 15-16 pretty decent pieces to try to win with in 5 years time

sorry... I feel very bad for this bad situation

Meh according to many the Habs were in an even worst situation just one year ago. The Oilers can dig themselves out of the hole but it will take some work.

I think a change in management and coaching would be welcomed. A change in attitude needs to happen and a fresh start might be what they need.

Then hope the new coaching staff can get the best out of their players. Your D ain't bad and Koskinen can hold the fort. Up front, you have McDavid, Draisaitl and Nuge. I mean, how bad can you really be?

Pull off one good trade (i.e. the Pacioretty trade from Bergevin) and perhaps a good free agent signing, then hope some of your young players (Yamamoto, Pulju, Jones, Bear, etc) can establish themselves.

I bet next year the Oilers will be much better off.

Trading McDavid certainly isn't the right move. I understand the Oilers are in a deep rut, but there is only one way to go now: up.

Reactions: TFHockey

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Both cleared? Slightly surprised

I think Spooner just makes too much money for anyone to claim. The guy has skill, no doubt, he's good at controlling the power play too, but he has some holes in his game that a lot of teams probably don't want to constantly expose in their top 9.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Meh according to many the Habs were in an even worst situation just one year ago. The Oilers can dig themselves out of the hole but it will take some work.

I think a change in management and coaching would be welcomed. A change in attitude needs to happen and a fresh start might be what they need.

Then hope the new coaching staff can get the best out of their players. Your D ain't bad and Koskinen can hold the fort. Up front, you have McDavid, Draisaitl and Nuge. I mean, how bad can you really be?

Pull off one good trade (i.e. the Pacioretty trade from Bergevin) and perhaps a good free agent signing, then hope some of your young players (Yamamoto, Pulju, Jones, Bear, etc) can establish themselves.

I bet next year the Oilers will be much better off.

Trading McDavid certainly isn't the right move. I understand the Oilers are in a deep rut, but there is only one way to go now: up.

On one hand, Montreal acquired their top two scorers the offseason after in trades they generally won (or at least clearly didn't lose). They also had (and have) better overall depth and cap flexibility.

One the other hand, McDavid is a hell of a head start for anyone.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Both Rattie and Spooner on waivers on same day... reeks of another deal coming. Or at minimum a move whereby EDM brings up a bunch of kids and buries some vets in the AHL. Something else interesting should happen in the next few days.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think Spooner just makes too much money for anyone to claim. The guy has skill, no doubt, he's good at controlling the power play too, but he has some holes in his game that a lot of teams probably don't want to constantly expose in their top 9.
If Spooner was a UFA at season end maybe someone would've taken a crack at him, but that extra year really hurts

Reactions: Multigrain and WJCJ

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Imagine paying a 2nd round pick just so you could hire PC to run your franchise into the ground...and that pick turned out to be Jack Studnicka
And to make it worse the NHL has that rule for only a year, the year you get dinged a 2nd and a 3rd and then immediately cancels it

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Pretty much this. How he went from Eberle to practically nothing, like there's gotta be SOME accountability there. How can Chia defend that? :laugh:

Granted, Eberle's hardly lighting the lamp with the Isles so it's not like it's another Taylor Hall situation, but.....I mean come on. Brutal asset management by the worst GM in the league.

And yet fans on this site said they would not take Eberle for free . As soon as the Oilers traded him he had the value of a
Top line winger

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
This is one of those odd rules I never understood from the NHL. I get it for an injury emergency type thing, but why did you waive him if you planned to play him? So confused.

They were just hoping for a miracle claim to get out from under the contract.

The biggest thing you need to understand about Oilers management is they they fly by the seat of their pants. There is no plan.

Reactions: BringBackLibertys

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
And yet fans on this site said they would not take Eberle for free . As soon as the Oilers traded him he had the value of a
Top line winger

Well it's not like he's putting up crazy numbers with the Isles, though. It's just ridiculously inept asset management by Chiarelli. These one-for-one deals are clearly not working. Hall for Larsson, Eberle for Strome, Strome for Spooner. Next to nothing to show for it, outside of the one playoff appearance two years ago. But that was.....two years ago. :help:

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Well it's not like he's putting up crazy numbers with the Isles, though. It's just ridiculously inept asset management by Chiarelli. These one-for-one deals are clearly not working. Hall for Larsson, Eberle for Strome, Strome for Spooner. Next to nothing to show for it, outside of the one playoff appearance two years ago. But that was.....two years ago. :help:

No doubt he is a bad GM at trades and at contracts . Chia needs to go . So does the fans that bash Eberle as worthless garbage and the minute Edmonton trades him they bash Edmonton for the trade .

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
so they paper waived the guy then called him up 34 days before the trade deadline.

clearing waivers lasts for 30 days on the active roster.

which means they have to either send him down for real at some point for at least 4 days or trade him no later than 4 days before the tdl.

Reactions: BruinsFan37

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Agree with you about the money. Surprised Ottawa didn't take a shot on him being a home town boy and all. Maybe getting some of his game back in the AHL won't be a bad thing. Just a revolving door of talent in Edmonton.

Reactions: WJCJ

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
so they paper waived the guy then called him up 34 days before the trade deadline.

clearing waivers lasts for 30 days on the active roster.

which means they have to either send him down for real at some point for at least 4 days or trade him no later than 4 days before the tdl.
So if he is sent down and plays 30 days in the AHL does it mean he can be traded or not?
Confused what rules and changes apply when you are on a one way and sent down.

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
Spooner strikes me as the type of guy that will end up in Arizona or Florida and carve out a decent career.

He also strikes me as the type of guy who likes the lifestyle more than the game itself. He had stretches in Boston where he was really good but his offensive creativity started and ended with the “10-2” skating down the left wing boards

Reactions: smitty10

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Someone on the Bruins board summed up Spooner perfectly. He's a 2.5 Center. Not skilled or consistent enough offensively to be a 2C on a good team, but is too much of a disaster defensively to be a 3C.

Not sure how he was being used in EDM, but he's not a great winger either since he doesn't shoot enough.

Streaky player, making more than he should. Not sure where he fits on a good team. He probably ends up somewhere like FLA and puts 40-50 points up a year, playing no D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad